The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_AnalogitalOffline
Post subject: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 06:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I am new to RCG, and I am having a blast so far. I love on-line forums and especially if they are based around a hobby, interest or subject that I'm very familiar or knowledgeable in.

I have had nothing but good experiences for the past week or so of my involvement here at RCG. All the members and as well, the board moderators, have been nothing but a pleasure to converse with.

I am all about respect. I don't wanna make a big deal about this, and I want this to stir up NO waves, But, I think that everyone needs to acknowledge that MUSIC IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE, and if someone posts a thread about a topic that concerns a genre of music, and/or an album or song that someone else doesn't like or respect, I think it's immature to post something negative about that persons taste in music, etc.

This is not a personal experience of mine here at RCG, that I'm refering to. But, I saw someting this morning in a thread, that contained a question about a certain record in a certain genre of music (that shall remain nameless), that the author of the Thread was very passionate about finding an answer for....
then (whether joking or not) I saw a 'mod' post something ever so brief but negative( or maybe I should say "sarcastic") as an answer to the initial thread question. Again, it's not a huge deal, but I think that if we as members and /or moderators don't like a certain album or song or genre of music...then just STAY OUT of the thread and the conversation.

I've been on too many forums before, and they can get so damn immature and childish, that I just end up leaving. I would think as record collectors, our respect for other collectors transcends our preference of musical genre for ourselves....and yes, I understand that this is a 'forum' and people post opinions, etc.

(this is just an example)...I would never make fun of someone asking about a classic country/western record in a thread, just because I don't particularly think that Country records are worth discussing or whatever... I would just stay my ass out of the thread.

Ya feel me?

Maybe I'm going overboard(in fact I know I am a little bit...sorry), but I just wanna know that I'm a part of a community of passionate record collectors, who respect each other, no matter what they're preference in music is. Sorry if I've made a big deal out of nothing. Rolling Eyes Wink

Hope I haven't offended anyone.

Moderators please don't ask me which thread I'm talking about... I don't wanna be a tattle-tail... Peace and Love Y'all!

Audio Cassettes - 284

Reply with quote Back to top
magic1313Offline
Post subject: RE: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 06:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have enjoyed your presence so far and you and Philly have helped me a great deal in the past few days. I agree with you although I have not seen it too often in my time on the board. Glad to have you on the board and I think in general most people are very nice. With specialized forums, whatever the topic, there does seem to always be some hint of arrogence present. Still I find for the most part, many people on this board really know what they are talking about and love to share their knowledge.

Last edited by magic1313 on Jul 25, 2010 - 06:41 PM; edited 1 time in total

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 06:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mr_Analogital wrote:

Ya feel me?

No. You can't see something you don't like and then compose a lengthy and obtuse complaint about it without identifying it. What was the post with the allegedly nasty retort, who wrote it? If you won't say, I think your thread should be deleted by the mods, because it's divisive and accusatory (albeit vaguely). It would have been much better to take your concern to a moderator in the first place, either the one who (you think) said something nasty, or a different one. If you post here, then you are "part of a community of passionate record collectors, who respect each other". But guess what, sometimes people say something sarcastic, and sometimes that sarcasm is probably unappreciated by some people (even if it wasn't intended as some horrible dig). People have different types of senses of humor...you're not suggesting the RCG be a No Sarcasm Zone, are you? People also have different conceptions of what "respect" for each other means; in any case, there are moderators to sort that out. Finally, some people are more out front about stating opinions than others. If, for instance, someone puts up a thread saying that they're looking for Hootie & The Blowfish picture sleeves, it's not entirely impossible that, depending on my mood, I might respond "You're kidding, right?". I would make that comment because I think Hootie sucks, but I wouldn't really be trying to condemn or belittle the poster. If the poster came back with "Yeah, I know, a lot of people don't like Hootie, but he rocks my world", well then cool, the poster spoke his mind. If, on the other hand, he comes back with a lecture about mutual respect, then ...not so cool.

Mr_AnalogitalOffline
Post subject: Re: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 07:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Mr_Analogital wrote:

Ya feel me?

No. You can't see something you don't like and then compose a lengthy and obtuse complaint about it without identifying it. What was the post with the allegedly nasty retort, who wrote it? If you won't say, I think your thread should be deleted by the mods, because it's divisive and accusatory (albeit vaguely). It would have been much better to take your concern to a moderator in the first place, either the one who (you think) said something nasty, or a different one. If you post here, then you are "part of a community of passionate record collectors, who respect each other". But guess what, sometimes people say something sarcastic, and sometimes that sarcasm is probably unappreciated by some people (even if it wasn't intended as some horrible dig). People have different types of senses of humor...you're not suggesting the RCG be a No Sarcasm Zone, are you? People also have different conceptions of what "respect" for each other means; in any case, there are moderators to sort that out. Finally, some people are more out front about stating opinions than others. If, for instance, someone puts up a thread saying that they're looking for Hootie & The Blowfish picture sleeves, it's not entirely impossible that, depending on my mood, I might respond "You're kidding, right?". I would make that comment because I think Hootie sucks, but I wouldn't really be trying to condemn or belittle the poster. If the poster came back with "Yeah, I know, a lot of people don't like Hootie, but he rocks my world", well then cool, the poster spoke his mind. If, on the other hand, he comes back with a lecture about mutual respect, then ...not so cool.

Sure I can. With all respect, I have to disagree. This thread here, was about respecting others, no matter if they like things someone else does, or not... it wasn't created to tattle on someone.

The basis for my thread was to acknowledge respect between members. Just because this is a "forum" doesn't mean that belittling someone's taste in music should be acceptable....that's all I was saying. It wasn't about the 'poster' speaking his mind (or being able to speak his mind in an open forum), it was about the fact that, what was posted was (IMO) belittling the author of the thread...and especially the fact that it was a forum Moderator.... forum moderators should be thee utmost example here in an open forum, and if a moderator themself can't be an example of positive structure, then where's the good example to follow...does that make sense?

I think that's what bothered me the most, is that it was an "employee of the board" (so to speak), and 'employees'...(so to speak)... need to set the example.

And by the way heartshapedbox, I don't disagree with everyhtng you said; I think alot of what you said made sense as well.

Audio Cassettes - 284

Last edited by Mr_Analogital on Jul 25, 2010 - 07:15 PM; edited 1 time in total

Mr_AnalogitalOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 07:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

magic1313 wrote:
I have enjoyed your presence so far and you and Philly have helped me a great deal in the past few days. I agree with you although I have not seen it too often in my time on the board. Glad to have you on the board and I think in general most people are very nice. With specialized forums, whatever the topic, there does seem to always be some hint of arrogence present. Still I find for the most part, many people on this board really know what they are talking about and love to share their knowledge.

Yeah, I hear ya Magic, and I appreciate that a lot. Again, I wasn't beginning this thread to create a problem; I just wanted to know that the respect we have as collectors, transcends the 'preference in music' that we all have. I enjoy interacting with you as well as Philly and heartshapedbox, and all the others. Everyone is very knowledgeable and helpful, and that's why I like it here. RCG is a great forum!

Audio Cassettes - 284

Mr_AnalogitalOffline
Post subject: Re: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 07:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Mr_Analogital wrote:

Ya feel me?

No. You can't see something you don't like and then compose a lengthy and obtuse complaint about it without identifying it.

I just re-read this..... "Obtuse" huh?.... you just validated the very complaint that this thread was about... because you didn't like this thread you needed to Identify my purpose as "Obtuse"(i.e. -simple-minded; stupid)?? and you're a moderator??? Wow.

Audio Cassettes - 284

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 07:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mr_Analogital wrote:

The basis for my thread was to acknowledge respect between members.

It looked to me like an admonition of an unidentified member who, in your opinion, wasn't being respectful.

Mr_Analogital wrote:

Just because this is a "forum" doesn't mean that belittling someone's taste in music should be acceptable....that's all I was saying.

Sure, everyone would agree with that, so why say it? Since you haven't identified the "offender", anyone would have to wonder if the "belittling" might seem like something much less than that if they got to see it themselves. Was it a personal attack on the poster, or just a comment made in jest that only the hyper-sensitive would be bothered by? No way of telling.

Mr_Analogital wrote:

It wasn't about the 'poster' speaking his mind (or being able to speak his mind in an open forum), it was about the fact that, what was posted was (IMO) belittling the author of the thread...

OK, so in your opinion you saw someone belittled because they asked a question and received what you think is a mean or sarcastic answer (I've looked around at recent posts and can't, personally, find a thread that fits this description, but no matter). What should be done about it? Some new Anti-Belittling Rule created and enforced? Look, not to give you too hard a time, but everyone has their good moments and their less-than-good ones. Sometimes, little "spats" even break out. But this is overall a remarkably civil board, and there isn't a problem with people affording each other mutual respect here.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 07:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mr_Analogital wrote:

I just re-read this..... "Obtuse" huh?.... you just validated the very complaint that this thread was about... because you didn't like this thread you needed to Identify my purpose as "Obtuse"(i.e. -simple-minded; stupid)?? and you're a moderator??? Wow.

1. No, I am not a moderator.
2. I used the wrong word, I meant "abstruse", sorry.

anthonyvpOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 08:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mr_Analogital wrote:
hrtshpdbox wrote:
Melanie - Brand New Key

An awe-inspiring life cycle of hope, loss and redemption.

You're Killing ME!!

Would this be the type of response you're speaking about?

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RESPECT.....  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2010 - 09:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

anthonyvp wrote:
Mr_Analogital wrote:
hrtshpdbox wrote:
Melanie - Brand New Key

An awe-inspiring life cycle of hope, loss and redemption.

You're Killing ME!!

Would this be the type of response you're speaking about?

Ha ha, that would be great if that's what he's talking about...if that joke of mine in response to his Rock Opera thread is "belittling", then someone's got no sense of humor at all. Of course, he said he it was someone else being "belittled", not him, and I'm sure he wouldn't lie.

Mr_Analogital wrote:

This is not a personal experience of mine here at RCG, that I'm refering to.

Jump to: