The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_AnalogitalOffline
Post subject: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 02:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I am curious to know how our members house their record (12"&10" Vinyl LP/EP) collections. Whether you prefer to store them library/shelf-style OR you prefer to store them Flip thru/bin-style (or any other method); and WHY you perfer your particular method.

I personally situate every one of my 12 inch / 10 inch records "flip-thru / bin-style" The main reason being because I keep everyone of my records in a 3 mil polysleeve and if you store them "Library style" on a shelf, it makes it a pain in the @55 to place the records on the shelf (spine out) without pushing the cover out of the polysleeve. It also is nice to see the cover of the record when I'm going through deciding what to listen to.[/b]

Audio Cassettes - 284

Reply with quote Back to top
vinowinoOffline
Post subject: RE: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 03:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I use the "Library style". I use the polysleeve as well, but I always slide the open end of record sleeve into the polysleeve first.
This way offers more dust protection and also it pushes the polysleeve on firmly when placed back on shelf.
I have the shelves sorted into basic "lots", eg old accoustic blues, Chicago blues, British '60's rock, Jazz etc.
Seems to work good .

Mr_AnalogitalOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 05:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

vinowino wrote:
I use the "Library style". I use the polysleeve as well, but I always slide the open end of record sleeve into the polysleeve first.
This way offers more dust protection and also it pushes the polysleeve on firmly when placed back on shelf.
I have the shelves sorted into basic "lots", eg old accoustic blues, Chicago blues, British '60's rock, Jazz etc.
Seems to work good .

Sounds good. I just don't like taking the cover out of the sleeve everytime I wanna play the record...but if I was gonna do that, I would do it just the way you said

Audio Cassettes - 284

bommierockOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 06:05 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mr_Analogital wrote:
vinowino wrote:
Seems to work good .

Sounds good. I just don't like taking the cover out of the sleeve everytime I wanna play the record...but if I was gonna do that, I would do it just the way you said

If you want to keep your collection nice, adjust to this method

Leon

mpgalvinOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 10:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I am using Library style for storing my "active" LPs (ones that I want readily accessible). I also have several thousand "inactive" LPs that I keep stored in boxes for flipping through. The boxes are stored on shelves (5 shelves high) so I need to pull the box down when I want to flip through them (not so good for my aging back). Crying or Very sad

My primary reason for using library style is to effectively utilize my space. Bin storage is best when at mid-body height but library style offers more range of height for storage while still allowing for easy selecting.

Although, if I had no space concerns I would love to go Bin (record store) style for the ease and comfort of perusing.

SID
Post subject: Re: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 10:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Mr_Analogital wrote:

I personally situate every one of my 12 inch / 10 inch records "flip-thru / bin-style" The main reason being because I keep everyone of my records in a 3 mil polysleeve and if you store them "Library style" on a shelf, it makes it a pain in the @55 to place the records on the shelf (spine out) without pushing the cover out of the polysleeve.

If you put the record and cover in the poly sleeve,straight up and down, with the opening at the top of the poly,then you won't have that problem. I have my collection that way.....library or shelf style.

digvinylOffline
Post subject: Re: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 12:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

SID wrote:
Mr_Analogital wrote:

I personally situate every one of my 12 inch / 10 inch records "flip-thru / bin-style" The main reason being because I keep everyone of my records in a 3 mil polysleeve and if you store them "Library style" on a shelf, it makes it a pain in the @55 to place the records on the shelf (spine out) without pushing the cover out of the polysleeve.

If you put the record and cover in the poly sleeve,straight up and down, with the opening at the top of the poly,then you won't have that problem. I have my collection that way.....library or shelf style.

Same here, all my albums are in poly sleeves, opening at top. Just wanted to point out, I store all mine library-style but only due to space constraints. I'd love to have enough room to do bin style. And I really hate it when record stores don't have enough room and they have things stored library-style (and packed in). Makes searching much more difficult.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Record Storage: Bin-style (or) Shelf-style ???  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 01:28 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Library style is the only option for me, based on the number of records I own.

LPs are in floor to ceiling shelves 9 1/2 feet tall. 189 running feet total.

Here's some pics of a new shelf unit for ten inchers I just completed. (You can see a bit of the LP shelves & rolling ladder in background). These shelves are 8' long and 59" tall. 80 running feet total. The unit is 22" wide, open both sides. I thought the semi-circle cutout in the dividers was a nice touch and will greatly ease access to the shellac.

The large steel cabinet is a $50 junk shop find. It features 15" deep drawers. I'll fit lengthwise dividers in the drawers, providing perfect storage for 7" singles and my Reel-To-Reel tape collection. 22 running feet total in the cabinet.

Next project will be new shelves for my CD collection. That'll be 54 running feet total.

It's great to be getting this stuff organized. Smile

shelves10inch-001a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.69 KB
 Viewed:  1387 Time(s)

shelves10inch-001a.jpg

shelves10inch-002a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.66 KB
 Viewed:  1387 Time(s)

shelves10inch-002a.jpg

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 03:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Very cool,Cactus ! You should market these to record collector's......I'll buy one !

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2010 - 03:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Looks beautiful, CC!

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Jump to: