The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
B_big.Offline
32 Post subject: Melody Gardot - September 2010  PostPosted: Sep 27, 2010 - 11:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    I've been to a really very impressive concert last Friday, September 24th.

In contrast to the average concerts this one has started right on time. The first experience, that was rather unusual. But this wasn't the only outstanding incident this evening.

The stage was still almost absolutely dark, than one can guess a few dark shadows rushing around. Suddenly there were noises like an noisy acoustic thunder-storm break-out, that sounded quite exciting and jumble. Finally the lights were turned on and through this chaos a magnificent tune breaks free.

I could see a petite young woman with curly long blond hair and circular sunglasses, sitting in front of a 'Steinway and Sons' grand piano, totally involved into playing, but it looks as if she can't sit still for long. Like there's invisible fire on her chair, she gets up and sits down, again and again. In her Leopard skin pattern dress, she looked truly fascinating, as she concentrates on her music.

Accompanied by four great musicians, saxophones, German flute and Clarinet, Cello, upright bass and drums, she managed to create emotional open and above board atmosphere with her music. Her voice is fascinating and gentle, strong and smooth, fragile at times, as it appears on her records.

The interpretation of songs from both of her albums were fresh, open, brave, and improvisational, never stressful by straining after effect. Even if their duration was extended up to twice the the time of the recorded songs. I would love to have a live recording.

They played more than 90 minutes without a break, and one of the additions after the end of the official show was a medley of George Gershwin's 'Summertime' and 'Fever' by Eddie Cooley and "John Davenport" a.k.a. Otis Blackwell, sung in an outstanding intense way by her, and just very softly accompanied by cello, played like an acoustic guitar. I really got the heebie-jeebies!

In short: 'Never a bore or a dull moment'.

I was enchanted and fascinated, by this 25 year old lady, that's the reason why I bought 'A Photo Book - A Closer Look'. I have attached a collage of a few selected photographs from this cool book.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Reply with quote Back to top
skeelanerOffline
Post subject: RE: Melody Gardot - September 2010  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2010 - 06:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have her LP 'My One and Only Thrill' -- great album !
I'd love to see her in a jazz club.
Thanks for the review -- I'm jealous Wink

B_big.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Melody Gardot - September 2010  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2010 - 09:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

skeelaner wrote:
I have her LP 'My One and Only Thrill' -- great album !
I'd love to see her in a jazz club.
Thanks for the review -- I'm jealous Wink
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Thank you for your feedback, it's appreciated. The venue in Berlin was an old theater, medium size, with about 1,000 seats, still a good size for a more intimate live experience. I spent quite a buck, I booked my seat early and were lucky to sit in the center of the first row.

The total of her releases includes two albums:
      'Worrisome Heart' (2008)
      'My One and Only Thrill' (2009)

and two E.P.'s
      'Some Lessons: The Bedroom Sessions' (2005)
      'Live from SoHo' (2009)

The second LP is the one with a more self-contained style. I'm still diggin' for her E.P.'s

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Jump to: