The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MikeyOffline
Post subject: Major Illegal Vinyl Plant Raided in England  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2010 - 09:02 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I should have posted this at the time. If you wondered where all these classic coloured vinyl and picture discs in Europe are coming from, read this :

June 15, 2010
Major Illegal Vinyl Pressing Plant Raided in Britain...

Following on from the original raid of Scenario Records in Kensington, BPI APU, together with Police officers from the Met and Bedfordshire, have raided an illegal vinyl pressing plant. Officers, having forced entry, found hiding inside two German nationals who were operating 7” and 12” vinyl presses producing illegal coloured vinyl discs. They were found to be in possession of over 200 stampers – including ‘rare’ Rolling Stones Bootlegs.

Enquiries are ongoing, but it is believed that this plant is responsible for producing the majority of the illegal vinyl discs currently circulating

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/major-illegal-vinyl-pressing-plant-raided-britain/

The article says "it is believed that this plant is responsible for producing the majority of the illegal vinyl discs currently circulating". The owner of this plant has a brother who also owns an underground vinyl plant so the article is correct in assuming that this is not the only plant producing collectible records.

Reply with quote Back to top
SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2010 - 10:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

There was a guy at the WFMU show that had a bunch of this stuff for sale and I believe that he was German. The stuff really looked nice,but you knew that they were boots.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2010 - 09:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Holy cow--what a raid!!
Answers some questions for sure, eh??

MikeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2010 - 05:32 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Most of these records were sold at markets, swap meets and on Ebay. The brother's plant is still operating.

PaceyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 19, 2010 - 01:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I think I picked up quite a few of these as it goes. Despite the illegality of it, they were selling cheap and I never saw any that tried to copy genuine rarities -- the one or two that were mimicking genuine coloured issues were so obviously not genuine that there was never an issue of these flooding a particular high value market.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 - 06:44 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I have to admit that I bought plenty of those, including the color versions of the Stones debut album they manufacture - honestly those red and blue and green LK4605's look simply fantastic..

MikeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2010 - 03:15 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The two German nationals are brothers and one of them, Tiimy, owned one of the presses installed in this UK plant. They would travel from Germany to London, press a few thousand records then go back home.... until they were caught red handed. They were very careful by never coming into contact with their customers. They would take an advance payment then leave the records at a gas station for collection by the customer. So the two German brothers and the owner of the plant are in some very serious trouble. The plant has since been sold to an Australian guy.

PaceyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2010 - 07:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

An Australian guy eh Mikey?

hiddentruthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2011 - 05:28 PM
Level 2
Level 2

who has a connect for some of these records? people seem to have found some cheap, which is what I agree they should be....not the 30/40/50....to 100 dollars they go for on ebay sometimes...11 to 19 seems more reasonable....any help?

shoggoth80Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2011 - 06:24 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Huh. Interesting. Doesn't sound like it is related to the more recent UK imports of reissued metal classics on colored wax. I have a couple that are put out on a Back in Black record label. Great pressings, good vinyl, nice and heavy. I like colored vinyl, and heavyweight colored stuff even more. I hope it isn't related, as there are many more repressings that I would like to get. I don't shy from bootlegs. Lol. Though I have been getting mine through legit shops, so I doubt it.

Jump to: