The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: 12 Greatest Hits by Patsy Cline  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 - 07:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There isn't one song on this disc that is even moderately bad. The obvious classics like "I Fall To Pieces", "Crazy" and "Sweet Dreams" merge with "Walkin' After Midnight" (re-recorded here unfortunately), "Faded Love" and “She’s Got You”. Two really great tracks that are not quite as well known, but should be, are “Back In Baby’s Arms” and “Leavin’ On Your Mind”. I know some people who, due to a certain musical discrimination, won’t listen to anything even remotely bordering country music. They lose out here because, as I see it, one of the biggest myths about Patsy Cline is that she is some kind of hard core "country singer". Forget that she’s wearing a cowboy shirt on the cover, it’s just a wafer thin veneer. Some reports would suggest that Patsy longed to do a more country and less pop sound but producer Owen Bradley wouldn’t hear of it. On many tracks here she is no more country than her label mate Brenda Lee. Recorded in the early 1960’s, these songs were aimed directly at that invisible gap between pop and country with the hopes of picking up sales from both camps. If you want to hear a harder country sound, you need to check out her earlier recordings. No one with even a passing interest in American popular music should be without this CD.

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: 12 Greatest Hits by Patsy Cline  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 - 09:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

you're exactly right about this bill, i think "walkin after midnight" the original 45 version, is one of the 4 or 5 best produced records ever made. i remember this when it first came out in 1957, what a haunting, beautiful record. it's too bad it didn't chart on the pop charts, i guess she was considered too country then. but in 61 or 62 she wasn't too country then because " i fall to pieces" made the pop charts.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: 12 Greatest Hits by Patsy Cline  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2010 - 10:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I would say that none of the songs on the disc are even moderately good since they're all great Razz . She was quite the musician and Bradley quite the producer. And members of her band were great, too. I am especially fond of guitarist Hank Garland. He worked with Cline as one of Nashville's leading pickers, but crossed over in 1960 to jazz and released an awesome album, JAZZ WINDS FROM AA NEW DIRECTION. Unfortunately, he was involved in an automobile accident in Sept. 1961 that disabled him immensely shortly after the release of his second jazz album, THE UNFORGETTABLE GUITAR OF HANK GARLAND.

Not to take away from your original subject. Just wanted to add a little other crossover facts. I love both Patsy Cline and Hank Garland. Garland lived until 2004, and although he eventually returned to playing, was unable to match his earlier career successes.

I have Cline's original albums, but not the compilation.

Jump to: