The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: Freak Out by The Mothers Of Invention  PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 03:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I’m not going to pretend I understand all of Frank’s music because I certainly don’t. There are entire LP/CD’s that are totally over my head but then, if you have read any of my previous reviews, that might not be difficult to believe. For me, “Freak Out” is, for the most part, quite understandable. If you like music that is off the wall, iconoclastic and different, this might be the ticket. But there's something much more than humour, parody and the unconventional to this record. Zappa rails against something much more sinister and specific. “Hungry Freaks Daddy”, the opening track, is a call to arms to every underdog in America. What Frank Zappa is saying probably needed to be said but it’s the way he says it that is so alarming. There are other tracks that are a little lighter in tone, like the humorous 1950’s doo-wop parodies such as “Go Cry On Somebody Else’s Shoulder”, “How Could I Be Such A Fool” and “Wowie Zowie”. A favorite of mine is “Who Are The Brain Police?” whose verses sound sweet and lightweight but the chorus is harsh and ominous. “Trouble Comin’ Every Day”, a Zappa rap over a bluesy backdrop is truly powerful and an unusual recording for 1966. Sometimes Frank’s humor works but often, for me anyway, he is far too angry to be really funny. Frank’s rage and frustration with conventional American life is an underlying theme in much of his music I have heard. Let’s hope that this mastermind and madman has finally found peace and contentment.
But good God Frank, get yourself someone who can actually sing. Your vocals are some of the worst I've ever heard on record!

Reply with quote Back to top
Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject: Re: Freak Out by The Mothers Of Invention  PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 08:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

oldbillclarke wrote:
I’m not going to pretend I understand all of Frank’s music because I certainly don’t. There are entire LP/CD’s that are totally over my head but then, if you have read any of my previous reviews, that might not be difficult to believe. For me, “Freak Out” is, for the most part, quite understandable. If you like music that is off the wall, iconoclastic and different, this might be the ticket. But there's something much more than humour, parody and the unconventional to this record. Zappa rails against something much more sinister and specific. “Hungry Freaks Daddy”, the opening track, is a call to arms to every underdog in America. What Frank Zappa is saying probably needed to be said but it’s the way he says it that is so alarming. There are other tracks that are a little lighter in tone, like the humorous 1950’s doo-wop parodies such as “Go Cry On Somebody Else’s Shoulder”, “How Could I Be Such A Fool” and “Wowie Zowie”. A favorite of mine is “Who Are The Brain Police?” whose verses sound sweet and lightweight but the chorus is harsh and ominous. “Trouble Comin’ Every Day”, a Zappa rap over a bluesy backdrop is truly powerful and an unusual recording for 1966. Sometimes Frank’s humor works but often, for me anyway, he is far too angry to be really funny. Frank’s rage and frustration with conventional American life is an underlying theme in much of his music I have heard. Let’s hope that this mastermind and madman has finally found peace and contentment.
But good God Frank, get yourself someone who can actually sing. Your vocals are some of the worst I've ever heard on record!

Compared to early Bob Dylan I think it's absolutely wonderful, but then again probably cows being slaughter sounds good compared the Bob's early stuff. Laughing

DeadDogOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Freak Out by The Mothers Of Invention  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2011 - 04:28 PM
Level 5
Level 5

a) zappa is dead... so perhaps he's found SOME peace in that?

b) early bob dylan sounds great. in my ears he's a much better singer than anyone involved in contemporary mainstream music. i hate this philosophy that "good" singing means "classically trained". the sheer willingness to experiment with tone and pitch make dylan a better singer than most.

rule of thumb: if something "sounds" good (to YOU), then it's good. if it doesn't "sound" good (to YOU), then it's not good. simple enough? nothing in music is objective.

Last edited by DeadDog on Sep 01, 2011 - 07:22 PM; edited 1 time in total

DeadDogOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Freak Out by The Mothers Of Invention  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2011 - 04:36 PM
Level 5
Level 5

that being said, Freak Out is one of the best records ever recorded!

camppOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Freak Out by The Mothers Of Invention  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2011 - 04:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I like Frank's vocals. Over his career he experimented with his voice and then those of many others later on.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Freak Out by The Mothers Of Invention  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2011 - 05:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

DeadDog wrote:

rule of thumb: if something "sounds" good (to YOU), then it's good. if it doesn't "sound" good (to YOU), then it's not good. simple enough? nothing in music is objective.

Nicely stated!

JohnH.
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Freak Out by The Mothers Of Invention  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2011 - 06:09 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I think that there is no such thing as bad art. If you get something from it, it's for you. If you don't then it's not meant to be.

Acquired Tastes

Jump to: