The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scatterplotOffline
Post subject: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 01:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Music Catalogue Master......anyone use this? I d/loaded the demo. Works nice. If it works out I might buy an unlock code and catalog my collection. Jim

discogs.com/user/scatterplot

Reply with quote Back to top
Andy831Offline
Post subject: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 13, 2011 - 04:53 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I tied the demo too Jim. I thought it was quite good so bought an unlock code.

I am now slowly going through my collection adding title as I buy them and back cataloguing my existing collection but its still a mammoth task Very Happy

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 13, 2011 - 07:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I checked out the site, and my opinion is that these type of programs work great until you have to deal with all the titles NOT in the database.
If you stray from pop/top 40 stuff, that could be a problem.
I work outside the lines, and I'm lucky to get a single hit on Google when looking up a lot of titles, let alone complete album info.

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 19, 2011 - 02:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My copy still works, but from day one, trying to make a text/database file is useless. Just commas and garbage. But "in itself" it keeps a perfect list of what you own. But trying to share that info will be pointless, I tried many database and word processors to no avail.

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 19, 2011 - 03:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

scatterplot wrote:
My copy still works, but from day one, trying to make a text/database file is useless. Just commas and garbage. But "in itself" it keeps a perfect list of what you own. But trying to share that info will be pointless, I tried many database and word processors to no avail.

See if the menus allow you to "export" the file. If it does a delimited text file is "importable" into most spreadsheets or databases. The file you are describing above may be the delimited text file I'm talking about because most often commas are the "delimiter".

How big is the file you are dealing with with all the commas and garbage?

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 23, 2011 - 11:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've tried everything. Wordpad, notepad, Libre(a free copy of all microsoft DB, SS, WP and others). It's useless except to keep track in the program itself, all the albums you own. I've tried export and every feature of this thing. But if you wanna keep a list of all you own, it works fine. I've had it for months and keep adding each new LP I digitalize......But if you want to share your list, it's a wash out.

Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 23, 2011 - 12:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

scatterplot wrote:
I've tried everything. Wordpad, notepad, Libre(a free copy of all microsoft DB, SS, WP and others). It's useless except to keep track in the program itself, all the albums you own. I've tried export and every feature of this thing. But if you wanna keep a list of all you own, it works fine. I've had it for months and keep adding each new LP I digitalize......But if you want to share your list, it's a wash out.

What is the extension on the file. The extension is 3 or 4 letters at the end of the file name for example... filename.xxx "xxx" is the extension. How big is this file? Can you post a small chunk so I can see what you are dealing with?

Wordpad and notepad are just opening up the file as a text file which is why it looks like junk. If it is a deliminated text file you need to import it into a database or spreadsheet.

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 27, 2011 - 05:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It's "export" options I've all done: delimited text file (.txt), comma seperated value file(.csv), Excel spreadsheet(.xls). LibreOffice Productivity Suite automatically loads the correct program based on file extension. So far, nothing worth sharing, looks like garbage. Funny thing is, as of this writing the program "music catalogue manager" is still not crippled in any way. I bet it's abandonware...? Who knows? I might look on oldversion.com for some older spreadsheet program and try it. Not a high priority tho......

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 27, 2011 - 05:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Scuse me, it's called "Music Catalog Master". Somebody D/L the demo, use it and tell me how it worked for you?

Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Music Catalogue Master  PostPosted: May 27, 2011 - 07:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

scatterplot wrote:
It's "export" options I've all done: delimited text file (.txt), comma seperated value file(.csv), Excel spreadsheet(.xls). LibreOffice Productivity Suite automatically loads the correct program based on file extension. So far, nothing worth sharing, looks like garbage. Funny thing is, as of this writing the program "music catalogue manager" is still not crippled in any way. I bet it's abandonware...? Who knows? I might look on oldversion.com for some older spreadsheet program and try it. Not a high priority tho......

Sounds like LibreOffice is your problem. Send me any one of the files if it isn't too big and I'll give you back a webpage you can share with anyone. Just click on my website below and it'll give you my email address.

Jump to: