The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 - 11:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A couple days ago I was cruising through a local antique mall and in a locked glass cabinet I saw a shoebox full of 45s. "Mind if I take a look at the records?", I asked the woman working there. She unlocked the cabinet, took out the box, and stood by while I dug through the discs. Elvis 45s in average condition: $8? Nothing new there...Pat Boone for $10? OK, now things were getting a little ridiculous. A Bobby Darin picture sleeve...well-enjoyed and obviously a little torn....$40?!? Johnny Tillotson picture sleeve...$30?!? I politely thanked her for her time and walked away empty-handed, silently groaning to myself, "What did this dealer think he / she had here, a goldmine?" Until then, I thought $3 for an average hit record in pretty-good condition was the epitome of preposterous for antique mall record prices - guess the bar had been raised with that box.

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 - 12:29 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I remember seeing a scratched-to-hell-and-back Columbia red label Gene Autry 78 hanging on a nail in a consignment antique mall with a price tag of $20 IIRC. I talked to the mall operator and she said that every once in a while somebody will pay that kind of money for a record, typically to be used as wall decoration. So I guess for every "clueless seller" there's a few clueless buyers out there as well.

mekOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 - 12:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

thank god for clueless buyers and sellers

it gives us something to post about

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 - 01:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
I remember seeing a scratched-to-hell-and-back Columbia red label Gene Autry 78 hanging on a nail in a consignment antique mall with a price tag of $20 IIRC. I talked to the mall operator and she said that every once in a while somebody will pay that kind of money for a record, typically to be used as wall decoration.
Quote:
So I guess for every "clueless seller" there's a few clueless buyers out there as well

The clueless seller angle is laughable.
It's the buyers that are clueless!

mekOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 - 04:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

vinylhound wrote:

not true at all - I've come across a number of clueless sellers - I really like old dudes who know and mostly sell 1950s to early 70s rock'n'roll and not much else but have a small stash of great jazz, funk, and/or disco records just by chance
granted, they usually don't have much but all it takes is to find one or two rare or hard-to-find record at a dirt cheap price very happy

I've also come across more than enough sellers who think their stuff is gold - but it's not.
Granted, the ratio of clueless sellers to buyers is probably more on the buyers because there are more of them than there are sellers. However, when the seller is clueless, they are really quite clueless, either charging waaaay too much for Perry Como or letting some early 80s boogie funk/disco go for a few bucks

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 - 06:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

mek wrote:
vinylhound wrote:

not true at all - I've come across a number of clueless sellers - I really like old dudes who know and mostly sell 1950s to early 70s rock'n'roll and not much else but have a small stash of great jazz, funk, and/or disco records just by chance
granted, they usually don't have much but all it takes is to find one or two rare or hard-to-find record at a dirt cheap price very happy

I've also come across more than enough sellers who think their stuff is gold - but it's not.
Granted, the ratio of clueless sellers to buyers is probably more on the buyers because there are more of them than there are sellers. However, when the seller is clueless, they are really quite clueless, either charging waaaay too much for Perry Como or letting some early 80s boogie funk/disco go for a few bucks

As a seller I can ask any price. It's the buyers that determine the market.
And the old dudes as you call them are the most established of the record sellers. I never run into flippers (That's what they are, and thats what I call them, but you can call them Dealers) in their 20's. But plenty in the 40 and over set. And they have been at it longer. So they have more stock to fall back on.
What are the highest selling records on the market? 50's - 70's records.

mekOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 - 07:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

vinylhound wrote:
As a seller I can ask any price. It's the buyers that determine the market. And the old dudes as you call them are the most established of the record sellers. I never run into flippers (That's what they are, and thats what I call them, but you can call them Dealers) in their 20's. But plenty in the 40 and over set. And they have been at it longer. So they have more stock to fall back on.
What are the highest selling records on the market? 50's - 70's records.

At record shows, I see the guys most desperate to make a deal and sell are the old dudes with the 1950s-70s records these days. They don't always have the most stock and they most certainly don't have the best selection (as in wide variety).
They're losing out to the guys in their 20s (they are out there), 30s and early 40s. You can see it. The tables that the younger guys are selling at are always jammed with people at the shows I go to. It's these older guys in their 50s & 60s who have one person standing in front of their bins (usually about the same age as the seller) they're chatting with, but not much selling is going on.
Yes, the older guys are established - I'd say entrenched actually.
Don't discount the young sellers, especially the 20 year olds. They have disposable income because they aren't bogged down by mortgages, alimony or child support, no kids to pay for. I've seen some collections of 30 and unders that rival any of the old dudes. Plus, they tend to be more diverse because they haven't yet become set in their ways. So many of the old dudes I see selling are selling exactly what the other old dudes at record shows are selling.

As a seller you can ask any price - but times is tough and people are going to pay what they want. If you don't follow suit as a seller you'll fall behind and be stuck with stuff nobody is going to pay for because you've priced yourself out of the market. As far as highest selling records on the market being 50s-70s records, what's the relevance? How does that support your argument that there aren't clueless sellers? Plus, can you give us some cold hard evidence that music from the 50s to 70s is the highest selling at this point in time? And are we talking highest selling as in shifting the most units or are we talking single item sale price?

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 - 11:05 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Maybe there's some sort of unwritten bias going on - you know, Old Guy= High $$$. The man who's been around the longest has the time to research the records and price them "accordingly" - in other words, at nosebleed rates. That's not always the case, though - I know a couple "old" dealers who have stuff relatively cheap, one of whom (who is 67) is more than willing to discount purchases in general and especially bulk purchases. My biggest gripe at shows are the guys the same age as me (50) who bring unpriced, unsorted and uncleaned 45s to a show with a verbal rate of something outrageous like $3 to $6 each. They're also more likely the ones to say "Aw, it depends on what you pick out - some are higher-priced than others".

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Clueless Sellers: The Legend Continues (In 3-D)  PostPosted: Mar 15, 2011 - 08:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Interesting: when I caught the Austin show in '09, one of the MAIN scores I had were TONS of 45's, EPs, pic sleeves, just loads..and most for a buck or two...bunch of variety, everything from first-press Elvis to Tammy Wynette jukebox mini-LPs to Patti Smith, Donovan, Bill Haley, the list goes on...

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2011 - 11:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This falls into the category of "clueless seller", I think, though it might be more like "illiterate seller". Saw this Ebay auction today, a lot of 45s including (I freely admit, the seller did manage to sometimes get the spelling right, and I've not included those because they're no fun):

Quote:
Fore Aces, Deam Martin,The Ronette,
Kenny Roogers & The First Edition,
Bobby Derin, Chuck Barry
Suprems,
Sam The Sham& The Pharaons
The Beatle

AND MANY MOOR

Jump to: