The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: The Greatest Hits Of The Fifties by Barry Manilow  PostPosted: Mar 13, 2011 - 07:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Unlike some, I thought Barry Manilow did some very good pop music from the mid 1970's and into the 1980's. "Mandy", "Could It Be Magic" and "Weekend In New England", amongst several others, are all finely crafted pop songs. But nothing he did, even in his heyday, could be described in any way as "cutting edge" and Barry himself would probably agree.This CD is comprised of 1950's standards and is done extremely well and in a very professional manner. He covers pre-rock tunes like Tony Bennett's "Rags To Riches" and The Four Lads' "Moments To Remember" to post rock songs such as The Everly Brothers' "All I Have To Do Is Dream" and Frankie Avalon's "Venus". His voice sounds pretty good too for a guy who must be at least 60 years of age. I like Barry Manilow and I actually like this CD. It is miles better and infinitely more interesting than any of Rod Stewartís similar recent recordings. Despite itís apparent popularity, there is a bigger picture. Something tells me that when you record CDís of old well known songs and play Las Vegas, your career as a valid artist is essentially over.

Reply with quote Back to top
Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2011 - 09:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I knew this guy Dave Kendrick who was one of the drummers for Devo, not the first one. Anyway he said the most amazing performance he ever saw was Wayne Newton in Las Vegas.

On a slightly different note I love Manhattan Transfer's version of "Morse Code Of Love", perhaps purists of doo-wop will dismiss it but I don't care. Manhattan Transfer were clearly having a lot of fun singing it.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: