The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scatterplotOffline
Post subject: discogs: I am impressed!  PostPosted: Jun 02, 2011 - 11:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I finally seriously checked out discogs a few days ago. Superb! I made an account and as of this writing have about 160 entries. The database system works incredibly well. In only a few cases is my catalog # or record label on the LP not found, so I find the closest match. My collection is about 95% accurately cataloged with their available data. I love it. I know it's not "software" you can keep on your PC but let's hope they will be around for a long time! Plus you can export files for Excel, etc. I'll try that later. I'd like to hear from those of you on RCG who have a catalog there! I'm up to "H" in my albums now. When I get to at least "M", I'll put my discogs link in my thread signature. Meanwhile, if you want to look, I'm still scatterplot there.......
HIGHLY recomended for any serious collector! But(you can buy/sell there) I think if I buy/sell I will stick to ebay. I like the double protection of both Paypal and Ebay in transactions. Jim

discogs.com/user/scatterplot

Reply with quote Back to top
jonnyhalfheadOffline
Post subject: RE: discogs: I am impressed!  PostPosted: Jun 10, 2011 - 07:23 AM
Level 2
Level 2

If you use discogs I would suggest contributing to it. If you can only find a close match, either correct the data or add your release version.

I think it's a clever way of keeping good data, so that the general public use it for free and own the data by keeping the data in a good and accurate state. It aslo means that there's an online record of your collection, which is helpful for insurance prurposes as at least away from home you have a list of what is in your collection. I have an account on there, so if you ever get stuck trying to add any data, send me a message on Discogs

Jonny Halfhead

www.4adfirstdecade.blogspot.com/

My collector diary
http://4adfirstdecade.blogspot.com/

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 10, 2011 - 09:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Discogs major problem is it can't deal with shared numbering systems like Festival Records in Australia. This discussion in the Discogs forum will give you an example of the problem with boilerplate databases and likewise databases being filled by people that while meaning to help don't know what they are doing.

http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/144407

A proper discography for Festival Records that fills in all the numbers that Discogs will never be able to do can be found here...

http://www.globaldogproductions.info/f/festival-main-k-series-index-oz.html

Another example would be CBS US that combined all their albums (LPs, cassettes and 8 track tapes) in a single unified numbering system that began in 1970 with the label Fillmore and included Columbia, Epic, Barnaby, Monument, Blue Sky, Philadelphia International, Portrait, Harmony, RAK, Spindizzy, Mums, Great Western Gramophone, ARC (American Record Company), Douglas International, Sound Stage, Invictus, Tommy, Kirscher, T-Neck, Golden Fleece, TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia), Virgin, Caribou, Nemperor, Full Moon, Tappan Zee, Odyssey, Masterworks, Silver Cloud, MAM, Lone Star and many others. Also some numbers were used for reissued material on cassettes which there is no album with the same number because the album was from a previous numbering system.

Discogs is great if you want to catalog your collection but you'll never know what is missing in a lot of cases because the data is jumbled and the input quality isn't great.

scatterplotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 - 01:25 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So far so good on discogs. I finished "W" whew! Lots of the Who. only X,Y,Z left. I'll do my 45's when I get my summer vacation(which are prob. more valuable than my lp's given all the Elvis EPA### pictures sleeves I own). I tried to "contribute" but it's a bitch. I left a thread some time ago about an Austin TX legend named Kenneth Threadgill(I have a signed copy of his LP). Their system beat me like a bitch with their error messages so I gave up. I'm sure the album is worthless except to some old timer here in TX. I did leave a cupla comments(after you enter your album data you can leave a review or comment. The reviews are so dorky. Like some wannabe from a 1980's issue of Stereo Review magazine), but I would add "My copy of the Who Quadrophrenia matches this cat# but is on TRACK records label not MCA, etc". That's as far as I go. You want my help, make it easy. But there were a number of label/repress/reissue "issues" I could have helped them with. It's surprising, the "adventure into my past" this has been! Albums I forgot things about. Like The Who "Who's Next". I thought I had my brother's 1971 original. It was a 1981 reissue. He must have kept it and I bought the reissue later out of love for the album. Several other examples like that one. I also found LP's doubled-up inside a record jacket. One case, "Renaissance-Ashes are Burning". One was a US and the other a UK pressing. Kewl! Many examples of that. I found an LP by someone I never heard of called the Uranium Savages slided into an LP cover(Vangelis I think) with it's album-whoever the Uranium Savages are....
Anyway discogs is fun. My -MAIN- complaint is alphabetizing. I will put an album on my shelf by Johnny Winter under "W" for Winter, Johnny. Makes sense. Discogs puts these under "J". Johnny Winter. But that's minor. This all will stop me from buying duplicates of the same album(which I did do in the case of YES). I will try in the future to indulge in more features of their site as I have RCG, but......if it gives resistance....I pass...you get my drift. I think RCG and Discogs really go together well. Two sites for music and vinyl fanatics. Forums(not them so much as RCG) for tips on Vinyl care etc.)
Still a highly reccomended database. I won't sell there tho. Too many posts about bad transactions. I'd rather take a request and put an Ebay buy-it-now ad and let that person grab it and have double protection. Buying? I have several fav. sellers I'll stick to on Ebay. Stay cool RCGers...Jim
I think it's discogs.com/user/scatterplot

scatterplotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 - 03:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

PS: OK, I found another good use for discogs, just at the end, I've done all my LP's. Cross referencing/alerts to rip-offs. 6 months(appx) ago I bought YES-"The Yes Album" and "Fragile", thinking they were 1st pressings. Discogs identified them both as 1977 reissues. I'm not complaining, released only 5 years later(an eternity now that it is 2011).....both in NM condition. But I was cognizant to pull up my Goldmine guide. Yes, both YES albums were 1977 repress/reissue. Not bad. But I could have manipulated the ebay dealer(s) for a partial refund. I think the vinyl collector or wannabe vinyl collector can learn from this thread: ONE: become a member of RCG firstmost and foremost. TWO: Procure the latest Goldmine record book. THREE: become a member of discogs. In this manner you will be more educated on your purchases. That is what these forums are for. Have fun, I will! Got a new/old Marillion LP to digitalize now that I'm done with this catalog(or am I done?). Jim

idiotpunk123Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 - 09:37 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I love discogs. Ive been a member since 2003 and contributed around 2000 releases so far.

http://chairshotrecords.blogspot.com/

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 - 03:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

idiotpunk123 wrote:
I love discogs. Ive been a member since 2003 and contributed around 2000 releases so far.

Wow. Thanks for your generosity. That's part of what makes Discogs great. Very Happy

jonnyhalfheadOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2011 - 12:31 PM
Level 2
Level 2

The only problems I have is the updates that take time to be debugged. At the moment the submit new release doesnt work in IE9. Apparently I'm a muppet for using IE9....but they do have limited staff, It doesn't seem to be a big organisation, so with that in mind I think they have produced a good resource

My collector diary
http://4adfirstdecade.blogspot.com/

djaeonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 - 11:46 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I think Discogs is a great resource. I use it all the time as an info source for my local database. Some of the people can be a bit unreasonable when requesting information for submission approval, but overall I think that's for the best. The stringency makes for a very accurate database, which I appreciate.

scatterplotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2011 - 09:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Still love Discogs. Up to 470 LP's in my database. But I still have never bought vinyl there. I know I have Paypal protection but no Ebay protection(s). I've gotten quite a few refunds partial and full on ebay. So....I looked at some discogs sellers with just as good combined shipping as some of my fav. Ebay sellers: $4 first LP, $1 each additional. Not bad, I usually order 7 to 10 to get the best bang. I see on discogs an advantage: no bidding wars. So.....has anybody bought off discogs? What was your experience as far as packing/shipping/grading/eagerness to please the customer if INAD? Thanks, Jim

Jump to: