The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JohnH.
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2011 - 07:18 AM
Level 5
Level 5

This just dawned on me and I don't know why I didn't make the connection before. MY G/F is Colombian. Her native tongue is Spanish. She has been speaking English for 10 years now. From time to time, for example when she is talking about her daughter she says "The Monica".... I taught many Spanish people ESL, and this is a common error. They are trying to translate literally. They would use it that way in their language. Like La Chihuahua but when translated it's just Chihuahua. But La Chihuahua translated is "The Chihuahua" or El hombre "The Man". So by making this connection to The Buggles and that is is a Spanish release, it is simply a bad translation. The person who entered that release was probably only following the guidelines of the contributions. You must enter what is on the label. Doesn't say it's correct. True about Pink Floyd. I think it's on Ummagumma where the label says The Pink Floyd. But if you look on Discogs, you will not find it under The Pick Floyd, it's under Pink Floyd. Being new to this site and trying to do the right thing, it becomes very confusing sometimes.

So, I just shut my mouth and put it where they have it and move on. It is the best organized site I have seen. I am happy to be selling on there. But there is loads of stuff that I have that isn't there and I will never get to enter it which means that many Discog'ers will never have the chance to purchase. I just take my business elsewhere.

Reply with quote Back to top
NavaronUKOffline
Post subject: Discogs  PostPosted: Sep 23, 2011 - 03:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i have nothing but praise for Discogs, already got 1300 singles on there and made 60 contributiuons in the first month !

Sales are quick,er better and for more than ever possible on eBay... and no damn seller DSR rating!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
custodianOffline
Post subject: RE: Discogs  PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 - 11:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If you stumble across Custodian on Discogs and wonder if it might be the same guy as the one on The Record Collectors Guild, yes, it is. I'm having fun with it so far. I've been putting my collection on randomly, entering a title either when I listen to it or when I acquire it, or even just when one happens to cross my mind.

One question I have: When I make a purchase from Discogs am I supposed to wait for the seller to contact me before I pay?

http://vinylrescue.tumblr.com/

NavaronUKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 - 12:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

... but the Floyd did go by the name The Pink Floyd around the Syd Barrett era:)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
JohnH.
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 - 01:38 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I contact everyone who orders within a few hours. You should talk to your seller regarding the shipping method before you pay. The total amount is generated once you work out the shipping. Then you can pay right on the spot.

scatterplotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2012 - 01:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

After discovering Discogs last year, I just hit my 500 album mark. Not bad considering when I joined RCG I had about 350 albums. I have quite a few "junk" vinyl records I'll never enter, but Discogs is great so far, and 500 ain't bad for the hobby collector.

discogs.com/user/scatterplot

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2012 - 09:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

:::. So Discogs as tougher to sell TUC than eBay?...I guess mexican TUC can't be even allow there...

what do you think?

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
NavaronUKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 03:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

3500 items on Discogs so far (35000 to go!), been on now since June and getting around 60 orders a month easily...

people are much friendlier, much more informed and the prices got for much better than on ebay

feedback is clear and there arent as many idiots and time wasters as there are on eBay.

I only use eBay now when its a free listing weekend... which funnily has gone from every 3 months to every 3 weeks for the last few months... anything to do with them posting their lowest profits since they started... just shows you cant take the piss out of sellers forever and not give them the right of negative feedback.

Discogs 100% for me from now on

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 08:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::. So Nav, is it clear then, that most record collectors use Discogs to Sell? I'm going to take a chance there.

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
NavaronUKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 08:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Discogs is friendlier, mor easy going, has a fair feedback system and isnt full of idiots...... oh and their charges are less than eBay and you only pay for stuff you sell...

cant knock it tbh

Jump to: