The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dischoundOffline
Post subject: So How About Labels?  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2011 - 09:52 PM
Level 2
Level 2

What, in general of course, are the five most 'important' labels that would be considered the best quality classical recordings. Like 'Deutsche Grammophon" for instance?

Reply with quote Back to top
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: So How About Labels?  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 - 10:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I don't know much about what the critics say.....I just know what music I want to listen to and what artists I am interested to hear play it. I often collect a particular piece of music and get as many renderings of it as possible. But I can say that certain labels sound better than others, for sure, but that's not my main purpose when selecting classical records.

RCA Living Stereo shaded dog records are fantastic. London label is fantastic. You already mentioned DGG, but especially early ''tulips'' label copies....Phillips from Holland is fine and dandy.....UK Decca......EMI......Columbia SAX......Mercury......Westminster.....Capitol Full Dimensional Sound label.....Archiv......and there are others. Someone else may decide to comment about what collectors feel is most important. But take Columbia SAX, for instance. Some of these titles are thousands of dollars and scarce in USA. So what are ya gonna do about that if you have a beer budget?

MoserOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: So How About Labels?  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 - 12:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
So what are ya gonna do about that if you have a beer budget?

CD Embarassed

dischoundOffline
Post subject: Thanx for the label info  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 - 03:21 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Is Angel label high quality? I guess they wouldn't press the vinyl if they didn't think it was good enough. I have come across a classical collection, and not knowing much about desireable artists, I am just curious as to all of these box sets and labels with many of them liner noted exclusively in German and/or French. The labels are all I can go by, except for the material by Bach, Beethoven, etc.

jimbooOffline
Post subject: RE: Thanx for the label info  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 - 03:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

good site. great images.

http://www.revolutions33.co.uk/collectors_guide.htm

Last edited by jimboo on Jul 01, 2011 - 03:36 PM; edited 1 time in total

dischoundOffline
Post subject: By the way  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 - 03:35 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanx for your input, any information on classical LPs is welcome. I can probably get some 800 LPs, for very little money, and have a starter classical collection. The source is not the original collector, so they seem to not care about $ all that much.

I love my turntable..............

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: Thanx for the label info  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 - 11:05 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

dischound wrote:
Is Angel label high quality? I guess they wouldn't press the vinyl if they didn't think it was good enough. I have come across a classical collection, and not knowing much about desireable artists, I am just curious as to all of these box sets and labels with many of them liner noted exclusively in German and/or French. The labels are all I can go by, except for the material by Bach, Beethoven, etc.

I have some 1950s mono red label (UK pressing) Angels that are excellent. The later blue label USA pressings are much more variable in quality.

I'd agree with Barrie's (goldfish) comments about labels and quality, but would also add that quality on one of the 'top labels' is no guarantee, it just varies too much.

If you have an opportunity to buy a sizeable Classical collection for little money, I'd encourage you to do so, especially if you like the music. In my experience, Classical LPs are usually in excellent condition in contrast to Rock/Jazz/Pop records which were often trashed at parties.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Thanx for the label info  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2011 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

dischound wrote:
Is Angel label high quality?
Angel was EMI's label in the USA, issuing classical, jazz and pop titles. British pressings (stated on the label), although of higher quality than US pressings, oddly don't appear to be particularly desirable ... collectors seem to prefer the HMV or UK Columbia originals. Some Angel pressings were mfd. in USA by RCA, but mfg. shifted to Capitol after EMI acquired Capitol Records in 1955.

dischoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 - 01:39 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks all, for the valuable input. As I build an Excel spreadsheet on the two collections I am working on absorbing, I will do a separate page on the classical samples that I brought home to my turntable. One seems very interesting........... Janos Starker, Angel label 35417 recorded in England, Dvorak cello concerto / Faure elegie for cello and orchestra............ I will listen and evaluate condition.

dischoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 - 06:18 PM
Level 2
Level 2

On that Starker Angel 35417 LP........... It plays like maple syrup except for a few small clicks on the lead in of side 1. VG++, I guess, not near mint, but compared to some well played LPs that I have, this one is a keeper............

Jump to: