The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2011 - 11:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

With Starker it always about the quality of the vinyl since his performances were always stellar.

Reply with quote Back to top
AbeatlessnutOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: So How About Labels?  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2011 - 01:09 AM
Level 5
Level 5

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
So what are ya gonna do about that if you have a beer budget?

Drink beer while the wife serinade you to "you lazy no good..."

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2012 - 09:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Most Angel pressings are very inferior quality. They tend to be inferior mastering and pressings. Exception is 1950's UK EMI made original monos. UK Columbia and UK HMV pressings are much more coveted.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2012 - 07:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

dischound wrote:
Thanks all, for the valuable input. As I build an Excel spreadsheet on the two collections I am working on absorbing, I will do a separate page on the classical samples that I brought home to my turntable. One seems very interesting........... Janos Starker, Angel label 35417 recorded in England, Dvorak cello concerto / Faure elegie for cello and orchestra............ I will listen and evaluate condition.

That's a nice record, but the US stereo Angel is worth next to nothing. That makes them fun to buy and play if you just want to listen to the music.

The collectible version is the UK EMI SAX, worth at least 100 GBP in nice NM condition.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2012 - 06:34 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I picked up a Henryk Szeryng BEETHOVEN VIOLIN CONCERTO with London Symphony & Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt on a sealed Quintesscence label recently for $2.50 ebay Buy It Now. Another great recording on a budget reissue, but it sounds great. Sounds every bit as good as any Angel record I've played. Maybe doesn't sound quite as good as the earliest USA Mercury label or the Dutch Philips recording, or even the Japan issue of this record, which are all not very expensive really and could be bought for less than $20 I think....er, maybe not the Mercury label.... I don't think I've seen much else issued on Quintesscence label that is worth buying, though....

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 10:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Many of the 1950's Angel Pressing are very well pressed and can sound great, and can sell even if they do have a Columbia UK Counter Part. They are very heavy also. Nearly 200 Gram Pressing in many instances.
The UK (Made In England) Pressings are the ones people seek out.
There are instances as described above where the Angel Version is worthless compared to a Columbia UK Pressing of the same title.
Another thing that can throw you off for example is DGG Titles that may be first Pressing Stereo Records but can have a second cover. Mostly see this on the Large early 60's Tulip Labels. The money usually chases the first cover, first press, but I think it would be wise to pick up those early issues with the second cover, first record if they can be had inexpensively.
I have one up on Ebay now. I may take it down. Still deciding whether I want to keep it or not.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 10:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

KentT wrote:
Most Angel pressings are very inferior quality. They tend to be inferior mastering and pressings. Exception is 1950's UK EMI made original monos. UK Columbia and UK HMV pressings are much more coveted.

The later Du Pre Haydn Angel pressing I have sounds great. Black & Yellow Label.

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2012 - 02:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hear the Dupre on UK HMV on a nice setup, and no turning back. FWIW, the RCA Music Service pressings are superior to Angel's own. Another note. Angel Digital line is excellent, Wakefield pressed those and the masterings are much better. Some of the late Angel midline reissues like the Eminence were pressed by EMI Electrola in Germany and slay US Angel originals. And are mastered HMV style.

jimbooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2012 - 04:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Angel Digital line is excellent,

listening to some very late (1990's) Mercury Dutch classical pressings, rereleases. Superb sound, as if the needle was floating on air, better than a CD or the classic English releases.

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 09:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The Mercury Dutch pressings are usually quite good. They do sound different than the original Living Presence issues. The English Pye and EMI Mercuries usually are mastered close to the US originals.

Jump to: