The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scatterplotOffline
Post subject: WAV editing programs.  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2011 - 05:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This seemed the logical forum choice for my question as it pertains to "cleaning". Can someone tell me of an easy to use program that will allow me to use a mouse/cursor to visually "chop" off/delete pops from .wav files? I've got pretty good de-click/noise reduction software but it effects the entire file. Lately I've been getting a lot of LP's that are pristine except for a couple of loud pops which if eliminated, would leave me no need to run the file thru any noise reduction. Thanks, Jim

discogs.com/user/scatterplot

Reply with quote Back to top
platterpawsOffline
Post subject: RE: WAV editing programs.  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 08:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nero Wave Editor has worked well here to; click>drag>select>zoom>delete
for trimming the start, center (when the record is turned over) and ending

What program are you using to create the .wav files?

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: WAV editing programs.  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 12:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jim, I've been using Audacity to reduce/eliminate pops and clicks for nearly 10 years. It's a free program available at...

audacity.sourceforge.net

If you start using the program, I can give you a few pointers if needed. Feel free to PM me.

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: WAV editing programs.  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 12:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'll D/L the Audacity and try it. I want to be able to select a region of a .wav file(I use CD Wave Editor to convert my LP's to .wav), then mark the line that is the pop in the waveform, then chop it off. I've heard of this but never found a way to do it. Thanks, Jim

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: WAV editing programs.  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 12:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

PS: All CD wave editor does is convert anything from the line or mic in to .wav and create split points and split flies. Perfect for that, but does nothing else. I'll PM you if'n I can't get thru the menu.

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: WAV editing programs.  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 03:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jim, with Audacity, you need to zoom in to the pop. Then magnify it enough so you see each sample. With the pencil tool, you simply re-draw the waveform. You could also chop it off but that's something I haven't done. Personally, I don't mind if the pop isn't completely eliminated, just low enough to be covered up by the music.

Indexing of a long wav file is a great feature of Audacity, too. You mark all of the index points and Audacity can export multiple wavs or mp3's, numbered in sequence to the original file name.

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: WAV editing programs.  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 - 11:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

By golly it works! Not the most user freindly program in the world. You need to jerk around reading too many tutorials and FAQ's(or at least I did!), but here's the short cut for the future reader who wants to eliminate one pop, or a 5 second section of pops on a .wav file with several pops/clicks: download and install the correct version of Audacity, the latest is 1.3.13. Open your .wav file. -DO NOT- confuse the pause button with stop button while/whilst playing the file. All effect and edit funtions are inactive in pause, you have to be stopped. This caused me an hour of aggravation. Click on the "selection tool". Now click on that section between two tracks that is irritating you with 3 or 4 pops. Try to click right on that pop. Zoom in till yer pop zone is easy to work with. If you put your cursur right where the grey line is that you made with your selection tool, you can drag your grey "zone" left and right to encompass all the pops. Click on effects. Choose "click removal". Click preview and listen to how the default settings sound. Change them if you need to. Preview again and if happy, go to files-export and export to your folder of choice. Done! If you choose files-save, it saves a huge group of files that only audacity can use so forget that. "Export"! Now if the click reduction did not remove one big pop do this: selection tool-click directly on the pop-zoom in till you see the pop sample all alone(with a lot of dots in the pop wave). Select draw tool. Use it to pull all the dots that connect the pop's wave form down till they are flat with the line. Export the file. Your done. Convert to MP3 or burn to CD! Jim

B_big.Offline
7 Post subject: Too lazy to try something new  PostPosted: Jul 27, 2011 - 03:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

scatterplot wrote:
By golly it works! Not the most user freindly program in the world. You need to jerk around reading too many tutorials and FAQ's(or at least I did!), but here's the short cut for the future reader who wants to eliminate one pop, or a 5 second section of pops on a .wav file with several pops/clicks: download and install the correct version of Audacity, the latest is 1.3.13. Open your .wav file. -DO NOT- confuse the pause button with stop button while/whilst playing the file. All effect and edit funtions are inactive in pause, you have to be stopped. This caused me an hour of aggravation. Click on the "selection tool". Now click on that section between two tracks that is irritating you with 3 or 4 pops. Try to click right on that pop. Zoom in till yer pop zone is easy to work with. If you put your cursur right where the grey line is that you made with your selection tool, you can drag your grey "zone" left and right to encompass all the pops. Click on effects. Choose "click removal". Click preview and listen to how the default settings sound. Change them if you need to. Preview again and if happy, go to files-export and export to your folder of choice. Done! If you choose files-save, it saves a huge group of files that only audacity can use so forget that. "Export"! Now if the click reduction did not remove one big pop do this: selection tool-click directly on the pop-zoom in till you see the pop sample all alone(with a lot of dots in the pop wave). Select draw tool. Use it to pull all the dots that connect the pop's wave form down till they are flat with the line. Export the file. Your done. Convert to MP3 or burn to CD! Jim

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Jim, thanks for sharing the experiences you made with 'Audacity'. To be honest, I have this application installed, but never use it because of the lack of comfort it offers. I normally use 'Nero's Wave Editor', and 'till yet I was too lazy to learn something new. Who can tell? Maybe now I'll give 'Audacity' a serious try.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

scatterplotOffline
Post subject: RE: Too lazy to try something new  PostPosted: Jul 29, 2011 - 07:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Audacity definitely does what it says it will.

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2011 - 11:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I guess I'm just too old but I don't have a problem with the pops, clicks, etc. I do have a problem with CDs of LPs that tried to "clean up" the sound and in the process stripped out the ambiance and instead made it sound clean and lifeless.

The filtering you are talking about distorts the actual recording, the computer is focusing on what you are highlighting and will chop out some of the actual recording if it is in that area. I guess that is why I'm happy with all the pops and clicks because I know I'm listening to the real thing not a homogenized "cleaned up" version.

Jump to: