The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ApoplecticOffline
Post subject: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2011 - 01:41 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I have a copy of Foghat's Fool for the City with two different sets of matrix numbers, one on each side has been scratched out, and the other in much lighter writing. Who ever did it scratched out BR-1-6959 from the front and replaced it with BRK-1-6980, and on side two they scratched out BR-2-6959, and replaced it with BRK-2-6980. I'm just wondering does this happen often? Is it potentially valuable?

Reply with quote Back to top
Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2011 - 05:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Can't speak directly for the Foghat pressing as I don't have that in front of me, but this is not uncommon. I have such examples on many other albums.
The scratch-out occurred on the "master", as they obviously just used the same left over master to press the reissue (6980) as they did the original (6959),
thus all copies using that plate will have this same scratch-out.

ApoplecticOffline
Post subject: RE: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2011 - 05:13 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Wouldn't the scratches leave a raised edge then? These actually go into the vinyl, not rise out of it.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2011 - 05:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Just like all the other things printed into the runout and the grooves themselves, the master plate is a negative (inverted copy) so that when pressed, creates a positive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhPXw9XnLs

ApoplecticOffline
Post subject: RE: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011 - 06:49 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Ah, I thought they'd scratch it into the master plate, which would let vinyl into the scratches, leaving a raised edge. My mistake.

stephenjayeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011 - 07:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Rafter242 wrote:
Just like all the other things printed into the runout and the grooves themselves, the master plate is a negative (inverted copy) so that when pressed, creates a positive.

I believe that your terminology is incorrect. A "stamper" is the metalwork used to press the record and it's a negative. The production master (some call it production mother) is a positive and that's where the matrix numbers were scratched out and re-engraved. The first generation plating pulled from the lacquer master is the mother (a negative) and rarely survive; they are melted to recover the silver used during the intital plating process.

I've found rekkids with raised deadwax info, usually a 2p or reissue where the original stampers were loaned/sold to the second label to save the cost of re-mastering.

ApoplecticOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011 - 10:07 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Ah, makes more sense now.

Thanks guys!

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011 - 07:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

stephenjaye wrote:
Rafter242 wrote:

I believe that your terminology is incorrect.

Yes. Thanks for the correction. (Not that I am going to be able to keep that straight!)

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 08, 2011 - 07:07 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Apoplectic wrote:
... two different sets of matrix numbers, one on each side has been scratched out, and ....
"Matrix numbers" generally have no impact on a particular record's "value", aside from a few by artists that are highly collectible and whose info. has been researched and published (e.g. The Beatles). I wouldn't think that Foghat is in that select company.

Fool For The City was originally released in 1975 as Bearsville BR 6959; rereleased 1980 as Bearsville BRK 6980. I'm not certain why a new record number was assigned, as both were distributed by Warner Bros. (which normally changed the prefix, not the number, when the list price changed), but that is the reason behind the change in numbers in the trailout. BTW, does your Foghat disk indicate it was mastered by Capitol?

ApoplecticOffline
Post subject: Re: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 08, 2011 - 08:50 AM
Level 4
Level 4

annaloog wrote:
"Matrix numbers" generally have no impact on a particular record's "value", aside from a few by artists that are highly collectible and whose info. has been researched and published (e.g. The Beatles). I wouldn't think that Foghat is in that select company.

Pity, they're one of my favorites.
annaloog wrote:
BTW, does your Foghat disk indicate it was mastered by Capitol?

Afraid not. Would that be a good thing?

Jump to: