The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2011 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Apoplectic wrote:
annaloog wrote:
BTW, does your Foghat disk indicate it was mastered by Capitol?

Afraid not. Would that be a good thing?
It was a shot in the dark ... your report of the matrix nos., with the side no. placed between the prefix and the record no., led me to think your copy might be a Capitol pressing. Many, but certainly not all, Capitol-mfd. disks were mastered by Capitol.

Reply with quote Back to top
MikeyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Scratched out matrix number  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2011 - 05:34 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Catalogue numbers inscribed into the matrix changed when, as Annaloog pointed out, the record was re-issued at a new price point.

The original number is inscribed into the lacquer disc, hence the depth of the etching. The lighter etched number would have been etched into the mother, which is harder to etch. We did this often and sometimes even inscribed the new number into the stamper in reverse lettering - this meant these numbers were raised on the vinyl record.

Last edited by Mikey on Aug 11, 2011 - 07:59 PM; edited 1 time in total

MikeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2011 - 07:58 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

[quote="stephenjaye"]
I believe that your terminology is incorrect. A "stamper" is the metalwork used to press the record and it's a negative.

Correct.

Quote:
The production master (some call it production mother) is a positive and that's where the matrix numbers were scratched out and re-engraved

Lacquer disc (+) comes first, then Master (-), then Mother (+) then Stamper (-). Then ofcourse the vinyl rrecord (+). Yes, normal procedure is to engrave the new catlague number in the mother in this case.

Quote:
The first generation plating pulled from the lacquer master is the mother (a negative) and rarely survive;

This negative is actualy a MASTER (in Europe : "Father"). The Mother is a positive and played on a turntable for quality cointrol purposes.

Quote:
they are melted to recover the silver used during the intital plating process.

The conductive silver layer adheres to the newly formed nickel MASTER. Sometimes a few spots stick to the lacquer which is discarded in which case the MASTER is soaked in ammonia to dissolve the remaining silver, otherwise the patchy layer of silver causes crackles. Some plants would dissolve the silver layer on the master as part of their process - some wouldn't. The Master is not discarded but rather used to make mothers. Nothing here can be melted down. Once the metal matrixes are no longer useable or required, they are sold as scrap metal.

BrainticketOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2012 - 06:33 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I would like to get some more indepth information on this subject if I can. In this instance I am writing of etched matrix numbers, not stamped. I have several albums in which two matrix numbers are etched and one scratched out. In most cases the scratched out one does not refer to a secondary label number as often found in brackets under the primary on the label. 1. Is this scratched out number of any importance to the issue in question? 2. If I were to sell said LP online would it be necessary to even mention the scratched out number (say if a potential buyer asked for matrix number info)?

ValdezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2012 - 08:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

On a good day that Lp probably sells for about 3 bucks near mint... As someone said before, you do not have any concerns with Foghat matrix numbers... yet... Maybe someday they will be recognized as Rock Royalty and their collectibility factor will soar to great heights... Ya just never know.

scotty-whisky.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.37 KB
 Viewed:  4099 Time(s)

scotty-whisky.jpg

Jump to: