The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
barbiedollspimpOffline
Post subject: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 07, 2011 - 08:31 PM
Level 5
Level 5

J Rock "streetwize"
The Roots "do you want more???!!!" and "illidelph halflife"
Black Star "black star"
Prince Paul "a prince among thieves"
diamond d "stunts, blunts, & hip hop"
common "resurrection" and "one day it'll all make sense"
nas/damian marley "distant relatives"
souls of mischief "montezumas' revenge"
psycho realm "the psycho realm"
blackalicious "blazing arrow" and "nia"
pharoahe monch "internal affairs"
organized konfusion "stress...."
goodie mob "soul food"
arsonists "as the world burns"
paris "the devil made me do it"
kam "neva again"
above the law "livin' like hustlers"
rahzel "make the music 2000"
q-tip "the renaissance"
slum village "vol. 2"
guru "jazzmatazz vol. 1, 2, & 3"
raekwon "OB4CL2"
8ball & MJG "comin' out hard"
the x-ecutioners "built from scratch"
world renown "world renown"
U-N-I & ro blvd "a love supreme"
ultramagnetic emcees "critical beatdown"
top quality "magnum opus"
termanology "politics as usual" --more for the beats
tanya morgan "moonlighting"
stalley "lincoln way nights"
ray cash "cash on delivery"
little brother "the listening"
pete rock "soul survivor"
panacea "the scenic route"
O.C. "word life"
madvillain "madvillainy"
main source "breaking atoms"
mad skillz "from where?"
lootpack "soundpieces: da antidote"
jake one/freeway "the stimulus package"
j dilla "donuts"
eric b & rakim "let the rhythm hit 'em"
dead prez "lets get free"
de la soul "the grind date"
currensy "pilot talk"
the coup "pick a bigger weapon"
bubba sparxxx "deliverance"
blu & exile "below the heavens"
bahamadia "bb queen"
az "doe or die"
all city "metropolis gold" (okay, not great, but has a lot of nice beats.....worth it for $4-5 or less)
ahmad "ahmad"
aceyalone "a book of human language"
freestyle fellowship "to whom it may concern" and "innercity griots"

Last edited by barbiedollspimp on Aug 08, 2011 - 01:58 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
magic1313Offline
Post subject: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 07, 2011 - 10:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Some of the albums you listed are certainly not slept on. Anything by the Roots especially what you listed are not slept on. Black Star was certainly not slept on. Prince Paul was not really slept on at the time it came out, at least not amongst underground hip hop fans. Hard to call any common album slept on. Blackalicious Blazing Arrow was huge with the underground crowd. Dead Prez Get Free was also huge; for the record Dead Prez suck now. I would say at least half the albums you listed were very well known and regarded by the underground crowd. Little Brother the Listening put 9th Wonder on the map. I would say some slept upon albums are

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol2
Little Vic - Each Dawn I Die
Most of the recent Visionaries releases

I am sure I have some more someplace in my head although it is hard to define slept on as it depends on what group of people you are referring too.

P.S. The Guru Jazzmatazz series was slept on and are a great set of albums

barbiedollspimpOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 08, 2011 - 12:11 AM
Level 5
Level 5

magic1313 wrote:
Some of the albums you listed are certainly not slept on. Anything by the Roots especially what you listed are not slept on. Black Star was certainly not slept on. Prince Paul was not really slept on at the time it came out, at least not amongst underground hip hop fans. Hard to call any common album slept on. Blackalicious Blazing Arrow was huge with the underground crowd. Dead Prez Get Free was also huge; for the record Dead Prez suck now. I would say at least half the albums you listed were very well known and regarded by the underground crowd. Little Brother the Listening put 9th Wonder on the map. I would say some slept upon albums are

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol2
Little Vic - Each Dawn I Die
Most of the recent Visionaries releases

I am sure I have some more someplace in my head although it is hard to define slept on as it depends on what group of people you are referring too.

P.S. The Guru Jazzmatazz series was slept on and are a great set of albums

every album i mentioned was slept on. Almost every one was overlooked by the masses, which is what slept on means. none of those albums went gold, except for let the rhythm hit 'em and doe or die (neither slept on when they came out; both are slept on TODAY) not one of those albums is consistently mentioned, other than by hip hop purists, aka slept on. the listening gave 9th and phonte a chance, but producing jay-z's threats is what put 9th on the map really (that and beyonce). things fall apart and phrenology are the only roots albums to go gold. DYWM is their most slept on album, easily. common's resurrection is the chicago version of "illmatic," and one day... is his hardest album (and very dope), yet neither gets the mention they should. resurrection is only saved by having "i used to love h.e.r." on it.

and you're crazy is you think blackalicous wasn't slept on heavy. prince paul debuted at #138 on the charts when it came out. it was an instant classic. i still remember the buzz surrounding the album, and it sold nothing at a time when albums still sold well. with no limit, and cash money getting hot, it got slept on.

heck, the albums YOU mentioned weren't slept on by "the underground crowd." immortal technique is one of the most talked about "underground emcees." i'm talking about they were slept on because these are great albums that most people don't own, know about, or listen to.

and dead prez might suck now (then again, P.E. kinda does now too), but "lets get free" is a great album.

magic1313Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 08, 2011 - 08:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Lets get free was an awesome album. I guess in the sense that these albums never had wide mainstream commercial success then I agree they were all slept on however I don;t think these artists created these albums in order to go gold or platinum. If they wanted mainstream commercial success then they would have had to sell out and create dance floor beats, see Zion I, See Black Eyed Peas, See Swollen Members, see Royce da 5'9" although he did come back and made a great song with Kaboose. See Xzibit, at the speed of life was a great album but never had mainstream commercial success. These artists had to change there styles to fit in with the mainstream crowd in order to have commercial success.

barbiedollspimpOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2011 - 12:16 AM
Level 5
Level 5

magic1313 wrote:
Lets get free was an awesome album. I guess in the sense that these albums never had wide mainstream commercial success then I agree they were all slept on however I don;t think these artists created these albums in order to go gold or platinum. If they wanted mainstream commercial success then they would have had to sell out and create dance floor beats, see Zion I, See Black Eyed Peas, See Swollen Members, see Royce da 5'9" although he did come back and made a great song with Kaboose. See Xzibit, at the speed of life was a great album but never had mainstream commercial success. These artists had to change there styles to fit in with the mainstream crowd in order to have commercial success.

Every album is created for commercial success, in a way. I've never heard any artist say "i want only 2,000 people to ever hear this." It just doesn't happen for everyone, due to various reasons. Xzibit dropped 2 dope albums before becoming watered down. Personally, i think his hollywood fame/work with dr. dre changed his rap style more than he changed for it. You're right on everyone else though.

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2011 - 07:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

barbiedollspimp wrote:
Every album is created for commercial success, in a way. I've never heard any artist say "i want only 2,000 people to ever hear this."

This is really not right, there are plenty of artists who are more interested in creativity and arisitc integrity than creating commercial records.

Look at Madlib - he knows most of what he does is never gonna scale the charts, he knows it'll sell to his fan base but it ain't gonna chart. He don't care, he'd see chart ambitions as sell out.

Sorry to speak for you there Mr Lib.

Plenty of artists see themselves as part of a musical traditon and heritage that has no relevance to the charts.

I reckon The Coup are slept on. They don't really get much attention anywhere, even in the 'underground'.

barbiedollspimpOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2011 - 11:24 AM
Level 5
Level 5

TheMastermind wrote:
barbiedollspimp wrote:
Every album is created for commercial success, in a way. I've never heard any artist say "i want only 2,000 people to ever hear this."

This is really not right, there are plenty of artists who are more interested in creativity and arisitc integrity than creating commercial records.

Look at Madlib - he knows most of what he does is never gonna scale the charts, he knows it'll sell to his fan base but it ain't gonna chart. He don't care, he'd see chart ambitions as sell out.

Sorry to speak for you there Mr Lib.

Plenty of artists see themselves as part of a musical traditon and heritage that has no relevance to the charts.

I reckon The Coup are slept on. They don't really get much attention anywhere, even in the 'underground'.

I meant commercial in the sense that even artists who are more concerned with creativity and art want people to hear it. I'm definitely not talking about chart success, that's why i said "...in a way."

Also, i think i listed the coup's pick a bigger weapon, but all their albums are slept on. Only their plane into the twin towers cover BEFORE 9/11 got attention.

DJboutitOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2011 - 10:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Spice 1 first 3 albums
Master P 99 ways to die

Scarface & Master P 2 most underrated rappers also Spice 1 MC Eight E 40 Rappin 4 Tay west coast rappers & Texas rappers are underrated south east rapper most are super overrated
Goodie Mob most underrated rap ground

barbiedollspimpOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Slept On Rap Albums  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 - 03:56 PM
Level 5
Level 5

DJboutit wrote:
Spice 1 first 3 albums
Master P 99 ways to die

Scarface & Master P 2 most underrated rappers also Spice 1 MC Eight E 40 Rappin 4 Tay west coast rappers & Texas rappers are underrated south east rapper most are super overrated
Goodie Mob most underrated rap ground

great, sometimes slept on, south albums:
187 he wrote
soul food
still standing
super tight
riding dirty
every e-40 since "in a major way," tho the 4 revenue retrievin' albums are my favorite.
don't fight the feeling (only rappin 4 tay album i have heard)
comin out hard (amazing album)
in our lifetime vol. 1
the sound of revenge
ultimate victory
my balls, my word
every single scarface album (yes, he's that dope)
every single geto boys album
400 degreez
as nasty as they wanna be
ice cream man
chopper city in the ghetto
watermelon, chicken, and gritz
obviously, every outkast album

Jump to: