The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: Face Dancer THIS WORLD on Capitol ST-11934  PostPosted: Aug 28, 2011 - 10:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm pretty excited today about a few good hard rock albums that I'd only first heard in the last few weeks. While cleaning up/out for the Death-by-Digital vinyl blog interview, I rediscovered a box of thrift store finds that I'd never played and thus thought I'd better give these puppies a listen.

Two albums from the lot are really great, but one is much lesser known if not unknown. The other is Sweet - DESOLATION BOULEVARD, an album that most everyone in hard rock circles is familiar and possibly outside of the ring due to the smash hit BALLROOM BLITZ. I was really rockin' out while listening to the USA version. BALLROOM BLITZ can't be heard on the UK issue album since the track wasn't included on that one.

At any rate, the lesser known record was released in 1979 and is by a group called Face Dancer . I wouldn't confuse that name with strip club lingo, even though the name conjured up memories of the table and lap dances I'd experienced while a member of the US Marines. But the band Face Dancer has a pretty good record with THIS WORLD, fer sher. And I would recommend it to hard rockers who enjoy Queen since some of FD's music sounds a bit in Q's realm.

When listening to side one, by the time song 3, CHANGE, had queued, I was spinning the volume knob upwards. So after three really great songs the band threaded in a candy-assed teenie-bopper tune that nearly spoiled it all, but then redeemed itself with the fifth track and the rest of the album. I suppose the band wanted a hit on the radio and thought that track 4 would be it, but it wasn't. And since the band sounded a bit like this and bit like that, but not a lot like one thing, it didn't survive.

So this short review should be taken seriously. This band is pretty good and worth a listen. THIS WORLD is a scarce, but inexpensive title. THIS WORLD is not quite as good as DESOLATION BOULEVARD, but it's still gonna be one to which I regularly listen....except for track 4 side 1.

Anyone else agree?

Reply with quote Back to top
camppOffline
Post subject: RE: Face Dancer THIS WORLD on Capitol ST-11934  PostPosted: Aug 28, 2011 - 12:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Great review and a great little find. These are the kinds of things I think we all love. I will not pass this up if it goes by. Thanks!

StudioMONDOOffline
Post subject: RE: Face Dancer THIS WORLD on Capitol ST-11934  PostPosted: Aug 28, 2011 - 01:15 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Wow!I'm amazed that Face Dancer made it all the way to Wyoming, of all places! I didn't imagine there were enough copies pressed to spread that far from home here in Washington, DC where they got a good amount of airplay (they are from Baltimore, MD). Of course i have the album (my 3rd copy after loaning and/or losing the other 2). There's a UK CD version out there somewhere on the Rock Candy label.

I hear that their second album, About Face, is even better

Jump to: