The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: One Less Bell To Answer by The Fifth Dimension  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 - 04:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

"One Less Bell To Answer" was originally recorded by Keely Smith in 1967 but it was not a hit. In 1969, producer Bones Howe thought this would be a great tune for the Fifth Dimension, a vocal group who he was producing at the time and one with a history of recent hits like "Sweet Blindness", "Up, Up And Away" and "Wedding Bell Blues" amongst quite a few others. When I first heard "One Less Bell To Answer" I was not impressed. "Dull, boring and far too slow!", I thought. I wasn't particularly a big Fifth Dimension fan anyway. Well, I liked a few of their hits but by early 1971 my head was somewhere else and they seemed very passe to me. I was a little more interested upon hearing that Burt Bacharach and Hal David had written it. After all, those guys were geniuses weren't they? And the lady singing it, who much later I found out her name was Marilyn McCoo, really had a way with it. "...I should be happy but all I do is cry." she sang. We now move up to January 1982 and a woman I worked with at that time, who knew I was a record wingnut, asked me where she could buy this song by The Fifth Dimension. Remember, back then there was no internet or CD's and often certain songs from the not too distance past were quite difficult to find. "No problem," I replied cockily, "I probably have a couple of copies at home and you can have one of them." So I went home, played it and suddenly I could see this song's understated beauty. Funny that I could experience something then that I couldn't comprehend eleven years earlier. Sometimes life is like that.

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 - 08:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've learned something new. I didn't know Keely Smith did it first. I need to see if I can find her version.

I had the same experience. Took a long time for me to appreciate the song (or the Fifth Dimension in general). They were a great group, well worth investigating.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2011 - 11:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
Funny that I could experience something then that I couldn't comprehend eleven years earlier. Sometimes life is like that.

There are many records that I originally did not like, but later, they became some of my favorites.

"One Less Bell to Answer", is a good song, but I always found it too melancholy.

Jump to: