The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wwotr
Post subject: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2011 - 12:39 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I'm no stranger to Record Collecting, but have been away for awhile.
Recently I started collecting Vinyl again.
I bought a brand new PC, about 5 Months ago, and just bought a USB Turntable.

I need some guidance from someone familiar with these units as I have some very "General", (perhaps Duimb) questions.

I thought it would be as simple as pluging in the AC Power and the USB Cord from the Turntable into my PC, put on a record and have sound.
Now granted, I have NOT tried to play a record yet.
My Turntable also came with "Audio In RCA Jacks" and "Line Out RCA Jacks".
It has a USB-PC Port (which I hooked my USB Plug into) and then into the back of my PC.
It also has a "PH-AUX" switch (which I have set to "PH").
I connected the USB cord to my PC aid it was searching for drivers,
(which it found) and D/L them automatically.
In the process it (I think) made those Drivers my "Default" Drivers,
so then I had no sound on my PC at all.
So I changed my settings back to Default and I have my Sound (for my PC ) back.
The Turnatable is a "And'ers Nicholson".

So I guess my question is, do I need anything else besides AC and the USB Plug connected, in order to listen to a record through my PC Speakers?
I do know the Instructions, talk about using "Audacity" which I already have on my PC.
Any Help (Dumbing it down for me) would be appreciated.

Roger

Always looking for "Rare, Limited, Private Pressings",
of Classic Rock from the 60's/70's, On Vinyl/CD/DVD.
Feel Free to send me your Lists.
I can be reached at:
wwotr1@verizon.net

Reply with quote Back to top
JohnH.
Post subject: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2011 - 05:37 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Are you using IDT Audio sound drivers on your PC? If so, it could be that your sound card is not full duplex meaning that it doesn't records and playback at the same time. Try connecting it again, open your sound recorder and play something. If you see the meters doing their thing but still don't hear the sound, it could be that. If you are not getting anything at all, then the drivers could be conflicting with your sound drivers. I assume you are running Windows 7? Could be that the drivers are incompatible. Try going to the website of the manufacturer of the USB Table and see if there is a Windows 7 driver.

Rick-TV!Offline
Post subject: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2011 - 07:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

First thing, switch the PH-AUX switch back to AUX, since that's probably the switch for the output level of your table. There's a HUGE difference between line and phono levels. Phono is dangerously higher and has been known to blow inputs.

Then, try the Audacity Wiki about USB turntables like yours.

Fifty-FiftyOffline
Post subject: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2011 - 08:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
First thing, switch the PH-AUX switch back to AUX, since that's probably the switch for the output level of your table. There's a HUGE difference between line and phono levels. Phono is dangerously higher and has been known to blow inputs.

I'd have guessed the phono output would be much lower. But the higher, line-level input (i.e., AUX) is what you want going into the PC, in part because it will correct the equalization.

JohnH.
Post subject: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2011 - 11:02 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I believe that the computer has a line in which the impedance should match. If it was set on Phono, then the signal is too weak. This is why we need a phono stage for our turntables. Basically it's a small amplifier.

Rick-TV!Offline
Post subject: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2011 - 04:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It is lower. Too late in the day for me to be thinking things in public. I should be better now.

wwotr
Post subject: Re: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2011 - 03:14 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Rick-TV! wrote:
It is lower. Too late in the day for me to be thinking things in public. I should be better now.

So at this point I'm still confused,
so I took a picture of what I have oin the back of my Turntable and,
hopefully someone can pitch in.
Well I can't figure out how to make the File Size smaller for this picture to post it, so if anyone would like me to email it to them, or knows were I can post this 528KB JPEG, on this siter, please let me know.

JohnH.
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2011 - 07:04 PM
Level 5
Level 5

use a photo editor and change the resolution to 200dpi. Better yet, do you have a techie friend you could call upon? What about the manufacturer? Maybe they could perhaps provide some insight. It's your audio driver. It's an issue that I would need to be in front of your computer. With some hardware, they require you to install the software or driver from a disc first before you connect the device. If you don't do this way and you plug the device in first, your OS will install it's version and it won't work. This happens especially in Windows 7.

Did this thing come with a manual? Look in the troubleshooting section and see if there is a FAQ in there that pertains to the output issue.

Sorry I can be anymore of help to you.

Fifty-FiftyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2011 - 08:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not sure what a picture is going to tell us. Have you tried switching from PH to AUX? Did that have any effect? (It better have!)

wwotr
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: BEGGINER INFO NEEDED ON USB TURNTABLE.......  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2011 - 11:11 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Guys, thank you all.
Let me do a little more "In Depth" experimenting and I'll get back to you soon.
Didn't mean to be Frustrayting to anyone.
I just thought it was gonna be a simple "Plug-n-Play".
Let me contact to Manufacter.

Always looking for "Rare, Limited, Private Pressings",
of Classic Rock from the 60's/70's, On Vinyl/CD/DVD.
Feel Free to send me your Lists.
I can be reached at:
wwotr1@verizon.net

Jump to: