The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
beat_truckOffline
Post subject: Beastly Zenith console I got for $15 from Goodwill!  PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 - 12:14 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I really didn't need another console phono as I already have have my Lloyds and another Zenith tube set that needs a little work, but I just picked this beast up tonight anyways. It has been sitting there for 3 months or so, and I would have hated to see it go into the dumpster. It has the Microtouch 2G turntable, 3 speed pop up R2R deck, and tuner. From what I have researched, it is either hybrid tube and solid state or all solid state depending on the year, and has sealed speaker enclosures with 15" woofers and horn tweeters. It has some cosmetic issues though. The top and sides have some scratches, and the legs came loose from one side but are not harmed. The radio works, but the turntable needs torn apart and cleaned/lubed as everything is very stiff with old grease. The R2R deck turns, but I haven't put a tape on it yet. This thing is VERY HEAVY! All solid wood. Should be a good piece with some TLC.

Josh

z2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.13 KB
 Viewed:  825 Time(s)

z2.JPG

z1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.05 KB
 Viewed:  825 Time(s)

z1.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Beastly Zenith console I got for $15 from Goodwill!  PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 - 01:00 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Very nice. I don't think I've ever seen one with a reel-to-reel deck inside.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 - 08:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Yeah,seen one of those last year and probably could have got it for free,but passed,because of it being too big and bulky. It had the reel-to-reel too. I took the records instead.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Beastly Zenith console I got for $15 from Goodwill!  PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 - 06:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CactusCowboy wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen one with a reel-to-reel deck inside.

I know whatcha mean; I think I've seen 1 or 2 in my whole life, and a handful in a few old 70s movies, LOL.
I donated 2 of those behemoths to a local antique/junk shoppe 2 years ago (sans the R2R deck)-
goo goobly goo do dem babies have some girth to 'em... I still have the 3rd (and best) one
retiring in my livingroom.

beat_truck, does that R2R just sorta pop up out of a recessed area in back of that console?
Do you have any cool reels to play? Supposed to be a tall order to find those boxes in good condition...

beat_truckOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Beastly Zenith console I got for $15 from Goodwi  PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 - 12:39 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, the tape deck is spring loaded and pops up when you push down on it kind of like a ball point pen. I didn't realize just how huge this thing was in the store. It is about like normal refrigerator on it's side! I'm still not sure where I'm going to put it when I fix it up. I have a bunch of boxes of home recorded tapes with old radio programs on them, and some various music too. I also have a few prerecorded tapes like Johnny Cash, Kitty Wells and some classical stuff. All of which I got cheap as a lot from the flee market a few years ago.

I also have the Zenith console in the attic that I got for free years ago. It is a little older and is all tube. It has the same turntable as the other except it has the older cobra style arm, and AM/FM tuner. No R2R in it though. It works good, but I need to recap it because of the age.

Plus, I have my "Monteverdi By Lloyds" late 70's console in my bedroom my dad bought me for $15. It just has the BSR TT, 8 track player, and tuner. I know they are considered low quality and undesirable, but it plays very well for what it is. I hate to get rid of it because it is still in great shape.

I now have to stop myself from getting anymore consoles! Unless it is some high dollar or really cool unit like the big Zenith, of course.

Josh

Rick-TV!Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Beastly Zenith console I got for $15 from Goodwi  PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 - 02:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well, at least you've got something nice to listen to while you recover from that hernia! Laughing

I've never seen a Zenith with a built-in reel, either. But I have seen louvers on the speakers before, and judging from the handles I see, you may have them. Apparently they're supposed to direct the sound in the direction you want. I doubt they do much actual good, but they might be fun.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 - 02:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

such a shame your record player is all gummed-up; I like the rounded top of the changer (haven't
seen one like that in forever). That slim/angled tone arm is one u don't usually see on a console either-
usually they are just a straight, heavy/clunky deal...
That's cool u have a factory Johnny Cash reel. What did u mean about re-cap, the bottom of the legs?

Rick-TV!Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 - 03:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Recap: replace old dried-up capacitors with new ones. I just had it done to one of my receivers (since I know better than to even come near a soldering iron). Makes a huge improvement in sound, I hear.

beat_truckOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 - 04:07 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I actually have 3 Johnny Cash tapes - Get Rhythm and Original Golden Hits Vol1 and Vol2.

Josh

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 - 09:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This was a top of the line, over $1000 new Zenith console. The belt drive changer was actually Zenith made and competitive with top of the line Garrards, Duals, and Miracord changers. The open reel deck was made by Wollensak. Very expensive new and uncommon. The best they ever made then.

Jump to: