The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
northwestsoulOffline
Post subject: Proper LP Storage - Sleeves, Inserts, and Covers  PostPosted: Dec 15, 2011 - 05:28 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody, first post, long time collector.

I have a question about how you all store your LPs:

Do you keep the cover and sleeve/inserts/record separate? Or do you keep the record in its sleeve inside the cover on the shelf?

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
MoserOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2011 - 07:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I keep 45s seperate from the picture sleeves if they have one. Usually in a mylar sleeve then both ps and sleeved record go in a bigger mylar sleeve.

With LPs, most I keep inside the covers with a mylar sleeve over the cover. Very rare LPs I put in plain white jackets seperate from the cover unless the cover seems real sturdy. I also do this with very fragile or flimsy covers. I've never felt comfortable keeping the paper sleeved LP outside the cover together in a mylar sleeve. I don't know why. Probably because I play my LPs more often than my 45s and I'm afraid I'll grip the LP the wrong way and damage the vinyl. My 45s usually get digitised and then locked away forever.

78s I just keep in heavy stock paper sleeves. I only have about 15 or so anyway. The package of 78 sleeves that I currently own were purchased around 1996!

Acetates I keep in regular LP covers but no outer mylar sleeve. I've heard that they need to "breathe" so I figure better to not use a mylar sleeve. Besides, it's always some random cover anyway, what's to protect? I usually remove the valuable acetates from their sleeves every few months for a breath of fresh air. Maybe someone can comment on this?

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2011 - 11:31 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hello northwestsoul and welcome to the RCG.

I keep all LPs in plastic innersleeves inside the covers. All covers protected with plastic outersleeves.

For 45s I use either poly innersleeves or poly-lined paper sleeves.

78s are in heavy paper sleeves.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2011 - 05:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm very much aware of the purpose of this practice (to reduce ring wear), but I don't (to my knowledge Laughing) own any supercollectible records, and as such am not too worried about the potential gradual damage that could be incurred. I do try to put as many of my LPs as I can into plastic outersleeves, but don't currently keep the record/inserts in it but outside of the jacket.

CliveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2011 - 09:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have everything in plastic outersleeves and keep the record in the inner sleeve in the album. In rare instances, I'll put in a new inner sleeve and keep the record in that with the original in there too, but keeping the records outside of their album cover is just not my thing.

Jump to: