The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
t_mingerOffline
Post subject: Elvis Presley - For LP Fans Only - Cover Variant and Grading  PostPosted: Dec 21, 2011 - 10:28 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. This is my first posting. We picked up a number of Elvis and Johnny Cash LP's at a yard sale and as I was making my Ebay listings, I discovered one of the albums had a variant or alternate cover, but I can't find out very much information about it. Both sides have the same picture on it. It was more commonly done with a picture of Elvis in his military uniform on the back. Listed are the matrix numbers, inner sleeve number and over all condition (as best I can figure) and I would like to see if any of your knowledge and wisdom might shed some light on the number of these albums released like this and what the potential value would be.

Matrix: RPRS--7865--2S
Pressing Code: I
Sleeve: 21-112-1-40B

Vinyl: VG+ (no visible scratches / some slight cloudiness? in a few spots on the vinyl) Label is in excellent condition

Inner Sleeve: G (2) 2" seam splits / glue stains 1/8"-1/4" wide the height of the sleeve on either side

Cover: VG-VG+ (front lower right 1/4" corner fray/ back lower left corner slight overlay? lift at fray area / previous owner wrote the date 'Oct 26, 1965' on back, upper white stripe, left corner about 1/4"x2" with what looks like might have been a pen that had no ink - there is no color and only noticeably visible with the right light angle. The edges show some signs of storage/handling but other than previously mentioned fray, no seam splits. Otherwise the front and back are still very glossy with no scuffs or ring wear.

I do not have a way to play this album so I can not speak to the sound quality, but would believe by the looks of the vinyl it could be fine.

Sorry the post is so long, but I know all these things affect the value. Please let me know if you believe the grading to be correct as I want to be as accurate as possible. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Reply with quote Back to top
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2011 - 12:38 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

T-MINGER

The jacket that you have is a misprint that apparently occurred in 1965. It is hard to find: here are the Popsike listings.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=for+lp+fans+only

As you can see, prices paid for all the variations of this title are all over the board with the highest prices going to original 1959 pressings in 1) nearly mint condition and 2) in some form of original retail wrapping.

Hope this helps,

NEAL

t_mingerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2011 - 02:46 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your response. If you could indulge me further, with the descriptions (or I could send pics) does the grading seem to be accurate? I would like to get as much for it as possible (duh!) but I don't want a disappointed buyer. Is there anything else that I should note, mention or look at? Thank you for your time.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2011 - 02:00 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

T MINGER

Ijn mty books, I suggested that jackets and labels and records be given an overall grade for their overall condition followed by descriptions of particular defects. For instance, a record with NM labels and NM vinyl with a scratch on one side that causes a light click on tow tracks when played is not a VG+ record. It is just wahat it is: "NM labels and NM vinyl with a scratch on one side that causes a light click on tow tracks when played." This gives the potential buyer a much more accurate description of what he is purchasing than merely downgrading the record's grade due to the scratch.

Your description above seems fairly strict but, using my advice here, try grading it again in three different categories:

Jacket (or cover):
Labels:
Record (or vinl):

Hope this helps,

NEAL

Jump to: