The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
elguapo69Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2012 - 09:41 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Can any of you moderator types move this thread over to the Beatles thread? Purlease.

Reply with quote Back to top
elguapo69Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2012 - 10:05 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Oh right! Another question. If I replace the pics and poster from another copy, is there any difference between inserts from first pressings vs later pressings? In otherwords can I put pics and poster from a mid 70's copy into a first pressing? Or is that a total no no?

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2012 - 05:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

You should check out the listings on popsiked dot com and collectorsfrenzy dot com and read the particulars about the inserts. I do not believe that either the big poster or smaller band member pictures had coded identifiers for earlier or later issue. I think that these poster inserts were all the same, for both mono and stereo, earliest and later issue. That is probably why Servi mentioned that these items were easy to acquire and of lesser importance than the numbered cover and labeled records.

Thanks a million for coming back to RCG to discuss this further. I'm looking forward to hearing what happens with it. If this item is auctioned on ebay, please let us know by posting a link in the EBAY AUCTIONS forum. Also, don't forget to offer this item to the World as opposed to just UK. You'll probably get bids from everywhere, and then wind up selling it to a collector in Japan or to someone on Treasure Island (and who possesses all the treasure!)

elguapo69Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2012 - 09:40 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Of course, I'll keep you all updated. I'm an occupational therapist and I'm doing this for a client of mine who has dementia and is in decline. I spotted the record while I was working with him at his house. I discussed it with his wife and I'm making the whole process of getting it together and selling it part of his therapy, so all in all it should be a good experience for everyone involved no matter what the final result is.

They are goin to follow my lead with this so, it will definitely be going on ebay (world wide). I'm not sure if I should put a reserve on it or if I should just let it ride and have the confidence that it will reach at least the 200 mark? The whole process will probably take a little while, but stay tuned!

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2012 - 09:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

1. Am I correct in assuming that top loading white albums can be both stereo and mono?
Yes.

2. Is there a different series of numbers for mono vs stereo?
Yes. "Stereo" covers say "stereo" on the back. The numbering for these (above #100) began with 0300001. Stereo 0300702 would be the equivalent of mono 0000702.
However, since records weren't sealed then, stereo copies are often found with mono covers, and mono copies can be found in stereo covers. When they left the factory, though, a stereo record would have been placed in a stereo cover.

3. What stamper codes/ matrix numbers should I be looking for? (I'm pretty sure the one I'm looking at was stereo copy) If there is a website out there you can point me to, that would be great too.

Any with single digits would be magnificent.
GRAMOPHLTD = 1234567890
The lowest possible stamper would be G.

4. Other than the 4 pics of the band what originally came with the record?

4 pics
1 poster
2 black sleeves
Some copies came with a blank spacer sheet. This was not included deliberately but separated sets of the four photos from one another prior to their inclusion.

The inserts (pix, posters, sleeves) are all relatively common. Their inclusion would not affect the value of a #702 White Album significantly, but the condition of the cover WILL affect it.

Frank

elguapo69Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2012 - 10:20 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Awesome! Gracias Senor!

serviOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2012 - 01:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are higher number mono sleeves out there (I have a 600,000+). Concerning stampers: they didn't care much so often you will find low stampers from the first mother like G, A or R combined with high stampers/mothers on the other side (GPT or something). But who cares about stampers if you have such low number anyway.

zb420Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2012 - 06:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just found my copy, serial number 567,696.

SWBC-1-101-J40 are the matrix numbers... anyone good at translating them ?

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2012 - 10:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's a US copy of the album, most likely pressed in Jacksonville, IL.

Jump to: