The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RidinTheWind
Post subject: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 - 12:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Not too long ago I purchased some CD-RW's for my CD recorder. They do work with it, but when I finally had enough music to fill a disc, I found the disc had a flaw about 25 minutes into the recording. Only on one track, every other track recorded perfectly. I checked it on another machine and even re-recorded over the bad part (new recording hiccups at same spot, 45 seconds into the 11th track) and determined that the problem is with the disc.

Checking two other discs in the pack, I found one with a good scuff on the data side and another with what appears to be an imperfection. Now, I have used TDK CD-R's for about 10 years now with good results, but based on this, I'm wondering if they lowered their quality control.

TDK has been taken over by Imation. They also took over Memorex. So, what effect has this had on quality? Has anyone else had recent problems with either TDK or Memorex?

Reply with quote Back to top
TimJOffline
Post subject: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 - 12:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I recently burned a CD-R for a friend, who said there were a few tracks where the quaility was poor. My digital conversion from the vinyl seems to be good quality on my files on the PC, but the CD could be the problem. You may be on to something here. . .

Fleeting thought: I wonder if the recording speed needs to be reduced. I noticed the default when I burned the CD was pretty high (32x). I've had past experience where the quality is greatly improved by slowing this to 16 or 8x.

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 - 02:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Ridin', I've been using Taiyo Yuden blank discs for the past 5 or 6 years with wonderful results. I don't think TY manufactures cdrw's, though. They're available through Uline. Stock number for them is S-7770 on the page below. AFAIK, TY's are still considered the best cdr on the market with the least amount of errors.

http://www.uline.com/BL_5158/CD-Media

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2012 - 12:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

+1 on Taiyo Yuden

If memory serves, and if nothing's changed, they're the last cd-r maker that still makes them in Japan. Everyone else moved to Taiwan or elsewhere. So if you see really expensive cd-rs from a name brand like Sony or Maxell and it says "Made in Japan" it's a Taiyo Yuden disc.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2012 - 11:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CD-RWs are notorious for being glitchy.
Much better batting average with CD-Rs.
For 15, you can afford to not reuse them.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2012 - 11:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
I've been using Taiyo Yuden blank discs for the past 5 or 6 years with wonderful results.

I took a look at their site. It seems they only sell those for computer burners. Too bad, I would have liked to have given them a try.

Quote:
CD-RWs are notorious for being glitchy.

The only CD-RW's that I used before were Memorex. I've had pretty good luck with them, too bad they eventually wear out.

From what I could find on the net , it appears that TDK and Fujifilm are the only ones that still make CD-RW's for component CD recorders. I'll give the Fujifilm a try (they claim they can be recorded on 1,000 times)

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Mar 13, 2012 - 11:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well, I tried the Fujifilm, recorded 27 tracks, and it worked perfectly.

KentTOffline
Post subject: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 - 07:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Memorex has always been low end media in the CD-R world. TDK at one time had some of the best quality media in CD-R which was made in the Georgia factory.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Apr 02, 2012 - 02:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

KentT wrote:
Memorex has always been low end media in the CD-R world. TDK at one time had some of the best quality media in CD-R which was made in the Georgia factory.

They were referred to as Memosux on the blank media forums back in the day.

KentTOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Quality Change on Blank Discs?  PostPosted: Apr 02, 2012 - 06:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Seconded on Memosux. I called them ErrorRex. The highest BLER (Block Error Rate) I ever saw. And C2 errors thrown in. Unusuable at any speed.

Jump to: