The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mekOffline
Post subject: Are you into a specific genre/style/scene?  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 - 05:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Was browsing through the "Today's Punk Finds" thread - reviewing everyone's acquisitions and wondering if RCG punk collectors/individuals generally have a preference for any specific types/genres/scenes in the punk music spectrum?

Take myself, for example:
If I came three different records from three different labels - such as an SST record, a Red Flame record, and a Sex Pistols or Damned record - I'd pick the Red Flame stuff because I have a preference for the post-punk, experimental, and I love synthesizers (especially anything "anti-rock").
I don't really care that much for most of the "classic" names in punk music collectors circles: Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Misfits, The Damned, etc.
Also, I tend to collect punk/post-punk from outside the US (curiosity with the "exotic" I suppose?)

So, just wondering if your collections leans heavily toward an era, a movement, a record label or artist (or labels/artists), a country, city or state? Do you tend to prefer Anarcho-punk, 1st wave stuff, skate-punk, noise, US hardcore, UK hardcore, Oi!, California, New York, Riot Grrrl, No Wave, etc.?
Are you attracted to a specific sound? Dub/reggae influences in punk, industrial banging, sing-a-long anthems, etc.?

(I know, genres and sub-genres are a bit lame but I'm curious about people's preferences here).

Reply with quote Back to top
TimJOffline
Post subject: RE: Are you into a specific genre/style/scene?  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 - 08:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I guess I'm mostly a '70's rock guy, but I love the blues from just about all eras. Since I also listen to some newer stuff and a bit of classical and country, I guess that puts me in a very grey area. Hey - good music is good music, and "good" is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Are you into a specific genre/style/scene?  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 - 10:49 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I've got a sizeable Punk collection, going back to '76/'77. I have a lot of the early Punk and later stuff as well. No strong preference, I like it all.

The rest of my collection is quite varied, ranging from Opera to Metal. Genres that I don't collect or listen to include Disco, New Country, Soft Rock, and Smooth Jazz.

mekOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 - 01:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

but, hypothetically speaking - you go to a record show and there is a seller with the full spectrum of punk rock
from the 70s to modern day
US, UK, German, French, etc.

and they are all categorized and boxed up by genre/sub-genre, years, country, US regions, UK regions, etc.

instinctively, which boxes do you step up to first?

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 - 02:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

mek wrote:
but, hypothetically speaking - you go to a record show and there is a seller with the full spectrum of punk rock

and they are all categorized and boxed up by genre/sub-genre, years, country, US regions, UK regions, etc.

Probably the US stuff first,but will look at everything. I've been collecting Punk records since 1976,so it's hard for me to find something that I want. Back then,the value of the record was not considered when buying it,if I heard it and I liked it ,that's all I needed.

I probably was reaching in the same bins as Cactus Cowboy was back then when he lived in New Jersey. We were at the same record shows.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 - 08:13 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

mek wrote:

I've been in NW Wyoming since 1998. The nearest record stores are in Billings, Montana 100 miles from here. The selection there is tiny and laughable at best. "Record show"...... not even a factor. It's been at least 15 years since I've been to one. So the reality is that if I'm lucky enough to find any new or used Punk records I will instantly buy them without being fussy about sub-genres. Just happy to find anything at all.

Hypothetically speaking? I'd probably buy early US and UK Punk from the late '70s before anything else.

Old-SoulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2012 - 12:49 PM
Level 3
Level 3

I listen to Rock from all eras, some more than others, but every decade holds something for me.

When I'm shopping for punk rock records, I usually trust the labels if I have not heard the band. Used to be able to look at the record label (No Idea Records, Fat Wreck, Burning Heart etc) and I'd have a pretty good idea of what it was going ot sound like and if I'd dig or not. but that only really applies to the late 80's till now I guess.

I really like pre-punk, 60's punk/garage or what have you. Hard to find around here, but I have found some pretty cool 45's in the past couple years. Sometimes you can tell just by the name of the group, most of the time I take a listen of there's a listening station available.

And just forget all those days
That dragged on for miles and miles
Leave them all behind

culturevirusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 03:13 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I'd be digging in the post-punk box for sure, also any box with ska-reggae influenced records. Also folk-punk stuff ala Pogues, Murphys etc.

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2012 - 07:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

mek wrote:

70s UK, especially Clash and the Two Tone type stuff. Mind you, if they had some Oz material I'd check that too.

throbbingpuppyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2012 - 10:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I lean towards english punk like GBH, Discharge, Anti Nowhere League, UK Subs, The Exploited and Vice Squad

Jump to: