The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
windbagOffline
Post subject: KISS ALIVE and KISS ALIVE II -- albums?  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2012 - 04:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A question that's bothered me for a long time, regarding "live" albums that were not quite so live, cleaned up, etc....

How "live" are Kiss's first two ALIVE albums? ALIVE II sounds particularly not right. ???

Reply with quote Back to top
MoserOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2012 - 08:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've had one of the Alive! Cobo Hall shows on VHS video since the 1980's. This was taken from the raw U-matic tape that was found when Aucoin Management was sold at that time, my brother worked for one of the people that bought it. It has a much rawer sound than the final album which I prefer.

I once heard that Alive 2 isn't live at all. I'm speaking to my brother in a couple of hours, I'll see what he knows about that.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2012 - 03:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RDNZL must be asleep at the wheel!! Shocked

ewingtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2012 - 10:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have both and 1 sounds live but it is really hard to say wether 2 is actually live or that the ausience has been dubbed over the top.
#2 doesnt sound live to me but mayne I am dumb.

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 06:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Alive II was recorded and the audience was later added to the mix. Not sure about Alive! I am assuming that it was a real live recording. It has a much rarwer sound then Alive II

MoserOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 06:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My brother said as far as he knows Alive 2 is live but heavily overdubbed except for Tomorrow and Tonight which is a studio recording.

windbagOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 08:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Alive II sounds plodding and careful; Alive sounds live, at least for the most part. I remember there being fallout from the Bruce Springsteen box set being doctored back in the '80s. Kiss has always struck me as a great band but lousy musicians. Which is probably a compliment, considering the softer music made by better (ulp) musicians and commercial voices. I can't remember where I read it, but some pastor/preacher/religious opinion maker said "good" music was played in a concert with an orchestra, but "bad" music was by a band. Which is the opposite of my tastes.

I hear a lot of "manilow" with Kiss when they went big. Kiss is "manilow" for 14 year old boys, dimmed way down in the head. Abba on steroids, with extra aggression.

windbagOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 08:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ShadySam wrote:
Me love rearning new Engrish, because there is a convenient store on rorizontal sidewalk!! But I shall be careful not to disorder the rubbish, because there is a kidney on the conveyor belt

Has Shady Sam been listening to my Shoji Tabuchi COUNTRY MUSIC MY WAY album again?

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 03:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Laughing Laughing

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 - 06:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

windbag wrote:
ShadySam wrote:
Me love rearning new Engrish, because there is a convenient store on rorizontal sidewalk!! But I shall be careful not to disorder the rubbish, because there is a kidney on the conveyor belt

Has Shady Sam been listening to my Shoji Tabuchi COUNTRY MUSIC MY WAY album again?

That kidney on the conveyor was actually a powerful antipsychotic, I told him not to eat the damn thing Laughing

Jump to: