The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: MOVED Posts from One Thread to Another  PostPosted: May 18, 2012 - 07:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Dearest Moderators,

Can it not be Standard Procedure from now on that if a post gets moved from one thread to another "more appropriate" thread that the word MOVED be placed in front of the subject line of the original post and it at least remain accessible in the original thread like I've sometimes seen here on RCG?

It is frustrating to have to always move improperly posted topics, I am sure. Is it that much more difficult to let everyone know the post has been moved rather than the bloody thing to just disappear and reappear somewhere else on RCG?

I think it is more frustrating for members to want to comment on a previous post and then to go to where they last saw it and then find that it has vanished.....to where?

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: MOVED Posts from One Thread to Another  PostPosted: May 18, 2012 - 08:27 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

It's not a simple matter of "standard procedure" as there's a choice involved. When I or another moderator move a topic, there's the option of "leave shadow topic in old forum", which accomplishes what you're hoping to see.

I'll usually select "leave shadow topic" when moving a post if the poster is new to the RCG and likely to become confused with their post apparently disappearing. On the other hand, if a long time member posts in the wrong forum and contacts me via PM requesting it be moved (I actually received a PM to this effect this morning) I won't leave a shadow topic.

Post subject: RE: MOVED Posts from One Thread to Another  PostPosted: May 19, 2012 - 06:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks for the response and details, Dave.

I suppose it could become a simple matter of "standard procedure", couldn't it? What? There are two choices you say? To "leave shadow topic" or not to leave one? I think it serves everyone's best interest to accomplish most moves with "leave shadow topic" so everyone will know, but especially those people who have commented or posted in the thread in the first place.

Here's to hoping all the MOVERS will read this topic and consider my point. It was very frustrating for me to find the post I was looking for and it has been this way with other MOVED topics for me in the past that didn't get the "leave shadow topic" treatment.

------------------------------------------

Here's a funny one... I came to the Feedback Forum to see if anyone else had commented, and I saw MOVED in front of my post and thought that it had received the move with "leave shadow topic" treatment. Laughing

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: MOVED Posts from One Thread to Another  PostPosted: May 21, 2012 - 07:09 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I expect that you are referring to this thread, help me value a rare record - tudor lodge on vertigo. The OP violated the no buying/selling rule for the "Value" forum by posting a link to his ebay auction, and it was moved to "eBay Record Auctions" forum. Leaving a "Shadow Topic" in its place would have made the move pointless.

Since it is a simple matter to locate one's own posts (there are 2 ways to do this), I don't understand why you should have found it frustrating to find the thread.

Post subject: RE: Re: MOVED Posts from One Thread to Another  PostPosted: May 22, 2012 - 08:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks for the response, annaloog.

I still think that leaving a "Shadow Topic" hurts nothing since a person cannot post a comment in the shadowed thread. They still have to go to where it was moved to, right? I can't remember if this is correct, but I think that is the way it happens. The move is successful and everyone knows it's moved. Without the shadow, it's just moved to.....where? And a person has to go back and research their posts. It's not difficult to research ones posts, but it might be for older topics from last month or longer ago when I have a bright idea I might wanna post to a thread I haven't looked at since the day the thread originated. . If the Moderator only has to decide between "Leave Shadow Topic" or not to, by simply leaving the shadow everyone knows right away that the topic's been moved. I think CactusCowboy posts in the thread where he moves stuff to when he does it.

Maybe by posting the auction in the FAQ VALUE thread is a coy way to advertise a sale...Maybe after the auction ends we can move that one to SUPER COLLECTIBLES since it is certainly worth mentioning there...and it will always be there and not disappear, as it will in the EBAY AUCTIONS thread. Oh hell. Everyone knows that plenty a UK Vertigo Swirl belong in SUPER COLLECTIBLES, but there are some that don't quite make the grade.

Jump to: