The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
beatles4saleOffline
Post subject: Fuming at eBay Right Now...  PostPosted: May 19, 2012 - 03:47 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I started selling some of my collection on eBay, starting with the lower value stuff (thankfully!)

On the second wave of sales someone comes back and tells me that they never received their LP. What can I do? I have the postage receipt. The guy consciously picked standard European airmail (not trackable) out of the choices I gave him so there's no tracking number for the parcel.

Next thing is he opens a case against me. I'll post our correspondance...

HIM: "record did not arrive"

ME: "There was an initial delay in posting this item out after the buyer decided that he suddenly didn't want one of the auctions he had originally won of mine. I was happy to do this and so just sent out this singular LP out as soon as I had received payment and work commitments allowed me to*. The offer of having the LP sent insured and tracked was available on the invoice but the buyer chose not to go with that so it was sent standard air mail small packet. All of the other LPs I posted out at the same time have reached their destination without any problems so I'm not sure what's happened in this case. All I can assume is that the postal system still has it somewhere in their system."

(*This was April 14th)

HIM: "hello, record did not arrive yet..for what i paid in shipping you could send it tracked..i have not seen the tracking option in the invoice, i would apreciatte another copy or a item refund.."

ME: "The offer was there on the invoice to have the LP sent out International Signed For (Cool but the seller consciously chose to have it sent standard airmail instead (5). Why would I send the LP out by a service that was not paid for? The cost of shipping the LP out standard airmail was actually more than the 5 I charged. If you go to http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder and select Overseas -> Spain, then select Small Packet, then add in 700g, then select 'Within 10 Days' and 'Less than 50' and then click on 'Find Price'. That's how much it cost to send the LP unrecorded (6.02). And that isn't even putting into consideration the cost of the secure packaging I always use."

6 days later, after no response, he escalates the claim to Customer Support. Want to see how long it took eBay to make a detailed, unbiased decision after reviewing all the facts.....?

Email telling me buyer has escalated the claim to customer support: Received Thu, 17 May 2012 11:43:38 -0700

Email telling me that eBay have found in the buyers favour: Received Thu, 17 May 2012 11:44:31 -0700

That's right.... 53 seconds.

Is there any way I can dispute this decision? I'm now 15 out of pocket and an LP down. Not only that, but the buyer has since left me negative feedback accusing me of being a conartist!

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Fuming at eBay Right Now...  PostPosted: May 19, 2012 - 04:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

beatles4sale wrote:

Is there any way I can dispute this decision?

No. The buyer says he didn't receive the item, and you can't prove that he did, end of story. It's happened to me twice in five years of selling; I don't even offer "trackable" options on international packages from the U.S. (the cost is sky-high, and I don't blame buyers for not wanting to pay that much). Most postal systems work, most buyers are honest - when something happens, all you can do is refund and move on.

aravelOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Fuming at eBay Right Now...  PostPosted: May 19, 2012 - 11:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: 53 seconds...it's like a trail via messenger: "GUITLY!, Case closed"

See what I meant in the few days?

I'd suggest to everyone, to cancel bids from novice buyers. This can be done? Adding to the item description: "...bids from sellers below 20 feedback score points will be cancelled"

This is because, usually, newbies are the desperate ones, who pay, and want their stuff at their door in 5 - 7 days, then go post NEG and start a complain at eBay thief protection Twisted Evil

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
chickenlipsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Fuming at eBay Right Now...  PostPosted: May 19, 2012 - 05:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As long as you as you have a proof of postage (my local p.o. writes the address on my receipt) you should be able to claim back up to 46 (i think it has went up since the stamp rise last month though) under the royal mail standard compensation - have a look here :

http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/claims-process/compensation-tables/international-compensation

you need to fill out a P-58 form and you will need to provide your ebay item number. I've used it a couple of times in the past - both times when packages to Italy were lost, and although it takes a while, i have been refunded (although it was in stamps!!). You get refunded the cost of the item plus the cost of postage.

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 19, 2012 - 11:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This is why I charge $27 flat fee for a single lp with Registered Mail and Signature Return. I have sold around 11 lps in the last week or so and most were going to Australia, Singapore and the UK. They want the item, they pay. I will not put myself in a situation accomodating buyers regarding Intl postal services/fees EVER. You can't win if you can't track AND show proof of delivery to the addressee. This is why I pay out of pocket the extra $2-3 for Signature Return

eBay has turned into a place where sellers HAVE to cover their asses totally now thanks to the trends of scammers and PayPal and eBay backing them up

heyjoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2012 - 02:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Maybe we should name names of the buyers who say they didn't receive their items on this forum. I'm not saying they're guilty of anything, but if a name shows up too often, maybe you decline to ship and block him. I had about 4 shipments in a row go "missing" earlier this year. Just a watch list--ebay name and country. Could it work?

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2012 - 07:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

sounds good to me

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2012 - 07:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

heyjoe wrote:
Maybe we should name names of the buyers who say they didn't receive their items on this forum. I'm not saying they're guilty of anything, but if a name shows up too often, maybe you decline to ship and block him. I had about 4 shipments in a row go "missing" earlier this year. Just a watch list--ebay name and country. Could it work?

It would be nice to see a list of buyers as well sellers who are not good to deal with.

NavaronUKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2012 - 05:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

eBay is crap for this kind of stuff. They are always pro buyer. Even when you have tracking details. Often they insist it hasnt arrived and what can you do.. I have never dared sell anything valuable on eBay as (a) eBay take their pound of flesh and again using P{aypal. I have been on Discogs for a year now and its refreshing to see that its full of genuine collectors. Its not perfect but on the whole the calibre of people on there , record wise, is much better. The fees are slightly lower and people arent arseholes!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2012 - 06:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

NavaronUK wrote:
eBay is crap for this kind of stuff. They are always pro buyer. Even when you have tracking details. Often they insist it hasnt arrived and what can you do.. I have never dared sell anything valuable on eBay as (a) eBay take their pound of flesh and again using P{aypal. I have been on Discogs for a year now and its refreshing to see that its full of genuine collectors. Its not perfect but on the whole the calibre of people on there , record wise, is much better. The fees are slightly lower and people arent arseholes!!

Everyone has different experiences, I'm sure, but I've had very few problems with Ebay or the people who shop and sell there. Unlike Gemm or Discogs, you can put up auctions on Ebay, not just fixed-price sales. I've just been over to the Discogs forum pages for a look, and there's plenty of complaining going on - people don't like the feedback system (generally, even the Discogs fans admit that Ebay's anonymous "item as described" rating is more informative), people don't like having to find a product code to put up a listing. With Ebay, if you have a delivery confirmation, the buyer cannot claim they didn't receive it, as you have the proof that they did. Finally, it looks like Discogs charges 8%, and I pay less than that at Ebay.

Jump to: