The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lexus5544Offline
Post subject: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: May 22, 2012 - 06:36 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I recently received my father's record collection of approximately 300+ records of every shape and size, every condition from new to beatup (I've tossed most of those).

This is one of his collections that I have decided to sell. I want to be fair and honest with people but, I haven't a clue how to grade them.

It's obvious the new ones are new and the ones I've tossed are very bad. Everything in-between is where I'm having problems. I don't have any way to play them.

I attempted to post a list in the Q&A but my sizes were incorrect and I've had people suggest that I include condition when I repost.

How?

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: May 22, 2012 - 08:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

First, I'd say don't just go tossing ones that look bad; they may still play, and could be the best records!

You can visually grade records, and you can go by the guidelines here:
http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=17&page=1

For most records, collectors prefer a VG+ or higher condition. Generally, that means a record that looks great, has good shine, and has very little or no scratches or scuffs (and certainly no long scratches, or ones that you can feel with your fingertip).

You should note, when offering the records, that they are graded visually, and also that you're not an old pro at grading.

maslikoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2013 - 12:23 AM
Level 3
Level 3

NO

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2013 - 02:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

masliko wrote:
NO

As per the article from this site that I linked to, visual grading is the norm, not the exception:

Quote:

Visual or Play Grading?
In an ideal world, every record would be played before it is graded. But the time involved makes it impractical for most dealers, and anyway, it's rare that you get a chance to hear a record before you buy through the mail. Some advertisers play-grade everything and say so. But unless otherwise noted, records are visually graded.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2013 - 02:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
masliko wrote:
NO

As per the article from this site that I linked to, visual grading is the norm, not the exception:

Very true. Even if you sold records full time, you would only be able to play-grade and sell like 10-12 records a day. That would be a very limited business and not worth the time invested for any but the most valuable items.

camppOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2013 - 09:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

When I was dealing records it was a big NO. Rafter is correct, in that it takes a lot of time and organization. BUT it is the only way to be sure and to be accurate. This is how reputations get made or broken.

As a dealer, it was part of the lifestyle. You wake up, slap on some vinyl, and in the back of your mind you are auditing the grade of your stock.

Also, some of those earlier pressings can look bad but play very well. The opposite is true of newish pressings many times. Rolling Eyes

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2013 - 10:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

campp wrote:
BUT it is the only way to be sure and to be accurate.

Depends what the item is, and the expected selling price. This is just fine, for instance:
LOT OF 200 70s/80s SOUL & R&B 45s, ALL VISUALLY VG+ OR BETTER.

Visual grading is entirely legitimate, and serves a purpose.

aravelOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2013 - 10:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: IMO if there's the chance to sell a record from our very own personal collection, which has been played like it should be a regular favourite, I can say Yes: play grading. Cool

But in the ideal world, nobody sell their fav records: we sell those artists we hate, or don't like. Visual grading, then. Rolling Eyes

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

Last edited by aravel on Sep 06, 2013 - 09:22 AM; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Fireflite
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2013 - 10:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Colonhyphencloseparentheses

You do realise the OP was over a year ago, he's probably .............them by now.

Or are we just short of another grading thread?

aravelOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Can I grade without playing?  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2013 - 09:25 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Fireflite wrote:
Colonhyphencloseparentheses

You do realise the OP was over a year ago, he's probably .............them by now.

Or are we just short of another grading thread?

:...we just love to discuss grading...passionate topic, always!

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Jump to: