The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JaytessOffline
Post subject: Amazing How Prices Have Gone Up  PostPosted: May 24, 2012 - 10:32 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I've been posting here and there in different forums, just seeing what information I can get on some of the records I've collected over the years. Haven't been an active collector in 25 years, so I'm a bit behind on what's hot and what's not. I dug out my Songs, Pictures And Stories of the Fabulous Beatles (original gatefold) and was amazed at the prices being asked on Ebay! I paid less than $20 for mine in the early 80's and it's in better condition than any they had listed. Mine is just barely under M-. No bent corners, bright colors, no ring wear. Looks to have the start of a very small split on the top seam but the spline is perfect. In todays market, what would be a fair price to ask?

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Amazing How Prices Have Gone Up  PostPosted: May 25, 2012 - 06:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jaytess wrote:
Songs, Pictures And Stories of the Fabulous Beatles (original gatefold)

As far as I know, counterfeits are also gatefolds, it's just that on the fakes the front cover stretches all the way across, while on the real ones the front flap doesn't extend all the way across, ending before the drawings of the Beatles (a "3/4 gatefold"). In the 80s it was worth more than 20 dollars, so you got a good buy. Value depends on condition; any seam splits would probably bring that down to VG or so. It's also important that the record inside is real, and I think there were several variations of the LP that were shipped with this cover. A couple of weeks ago a nice copy sold for $114.:

http://www.popsike.com/SONGSPICTURES-AND-STORIES-OF-THE-FABULOUS-BEATLESVJLP-1062NM/380435020414.html

JaytessOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Amazing How Prices Have Gone Up  PostPosted: May 25, 2012 - 06:25 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Mine has the 3/4 front cover. The only thing missing on mine is the original inner sleeve, I think. Mine is plain white. Around 1983, a collector friend of mine was getting ready for a record convention and gave me first shot at what he had to sell. I bought his entire lot of Beatles for $200. This included the album previously mentioned, a 3rd state butcher cover, Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers (MGM), The Beatles Story, fan club flexi discs and at least 10 to15 45s with picture sleeves. That's why I was saying around $20, but it probably came out to less than that. These were all quality records. There may have been more than I listed, my memory has faded some since then. I knew it was something I couldn't pass up.

JaytessOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 26, 2012 - 07:02 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Here are a few pictures of my album. The record itself is the one with the colored circle and with VJ in brackets. I was mistaken, there is one slightly bent corner.

SDC10381.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.96 KB
 Viewed:  151 Time(s)

SDC10381.JPG

SDC10380.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.46 KB
 Viewed:  151 Time(s)

SDC10380.JPG

Jump to: