The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 02:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Fireflite wrote:
... I can't remember his EB handle, to see if the FB #s match
He was a humongous PP fan

If "EB" means Ebay (I'm not sure I've seen that before, but let's say it does), and "FB" means Facebook, what does "PP" mean?

Paypal! Point proven!

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 02:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

TheMastermind wrote:

Paypal! Point proven!

Perfect, partner! Laughing

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 05:19 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERS

The bidding history on that sleeve shows three bidders over $3,000. Normally, that means either:

1) three wackos went crazy for reasons that we will never know (and probably never understand), or

2) three collectors know a hell of a lot more about this sleeve than we do.

I started work on a picture sleeve price guide years ago (before the crappy one that Krause put out) and the collectors that I talked to all said that there were truly rare and valuable sleeves that had never been adequately covered in previous price guides. Sinatra's Columbia sleeves are BIG deals with PS collectors. . .

NEAL

PS: When did eBay start protecting the identity of the bidders?

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 05:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A long time ago, at least a couple of years. I take it you don't visit the site often or at all.

Fireflite
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 06:29 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Persnickerty Peragine

FredCOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 07:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

nealumphred wrote:
FELLOW GUILDERS

The bidding history on that sleeve shows three bidders over $3,000. Normally, that means either:

1) three wackos went crazy for reasons that we will never know (and probably never understand), or

2) three collectors know a hell of a lot more about this sleeve than we do.

I started work on a picture sleeve price guide years ago (before the crappy one that Krause put out) and the collectors that I talked to all said that there were truly rare and valuable sleeves that had never been adequately covered in previous price guides. Sinatra's Columbia sleeves are BIG deals with PS collectors. . .

NEAL

PS: When did eBay start protecting the identity of the bidders?

Seems like the ID thing on Ebay has been going on for nearly 10 years now. I used to check out the competition before placing a bid, mainly to see what how their bidding habits would affect the outcome and if their interest in the item was something they may take over the top if necessary. It's been a long time since I remember being able to do that.

As you well know, Neal, price guides only reflect the prices commanded in the (then recent) past, and I have a feeling that many prices are speculative based upon similar items relative to the Artist or genre.

Now if any one of you (recordfan especially) could produce evidence that they actually own the Fabares-Petersen sleeve (or have owned it in the past), I'd believe it's value was highly overrated on the auction. I've gotten quite a few records for substantially lower than the going rate of an Ebay auction, and during the period the auction for the same item was being held. I've LOST items at extreme bids, only to get the same item for pennies on the dollar shortly thereafter.

It's likely that the bidders on the item (if they were legit) were trying to fill a gap in their collection that has been empty for a long LONG time. I personlly wouldn't consider a $1,000 bid (much less $4,000) for ANY one record, even if I could afford it, no matter how desparate I might be for the item at the time. Yes, I likely have paid more than some would here for an item, but it's all personal when it comes to value. Some records that are "valued" (personal and book) $1,000 and more by others, I'd hardly consider spending more than $5.00 on. Like I said, it's all personal to the individual.

Fred Clemens

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 08:29 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

that's good logic fred but just think if you were a billionaire and what was spare change now like nickles and pennies was suddenly thousands and tens of thousands of dollars. i have often discussed this with my collector friends and told them i would over pay ten to twenty times [or more] what something was really worth just to have it. it's all relative to how much money you have.

i also told my oldest record collector friend bob charboneau that if i did ever become rich i would hire him at a very lucrative salary to keep my records in order. he said: "oh no, i've been trying to get out of this business for 40 years". ha ha

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 09:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Neal makes a good point about picture sleeves.

In a lot of cases, I am surprised how relatively low the book value is for sleeves from the 50s or 60s in NM condition. It's extremely rare to find any from back then without ringwear or tattered tops, not to mention rips or writing on them. I don't actively research this, but I'd be surprised if these 50s & 60s pop sleeves that book for $20 really go for that cheap in true NM condition.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 09:51 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

MASTERMIND

I have sold on eBay within the last ten years and they did nor blank out buyers names with asterisks. For example, six years ago your bids would show up as by "mastermind." With the sleeve above, you would show up as "m***d" with three asterisks taking the place of most of your name. That's recent.

RECORDFAN and FRED C and FELLOW GUILDERS

When doing my price guides, I had the contributors submit a suggested NM value for each item with which they were familiar. I would then have anywhere from, say, six to twenty-six values per record. Letís say I had nine submitted values that went ď$25, $25, $25, $100, $100, $100, $200, $200, $200.Ē

1. That usually told me the three low contributors ($25) were CLUELESS about that item in the current market.

2. The middle three contributors ($100) were either accurate FOR THE MOMENT or were reflected an accuracy of a few years before when they bought or sold the item being evaluated.

3. The three high values ($200) usually said these guys were clueless or dreamers or liars OR they knew something that the other guys did not.

It was my job then to determine whether 1, 2, or 3 was accurate. Most of the times, the high values accurately reflected the prices people who were buying and selling that item THEN were paying for it. It also usually meant that those sellers had a better reputation than others for grading, etc., and got higher prices because they were trusted. For those of you who have a copy of my book A TOUCH OF GOLD, I discuss this in more detail on page 4.

BACK TO THE FABARES/PETERSEN SLEEVE. Hereís a little exercise for you all:

A. For this auction, there were five bidders over $1,000; there were four bidders over $2,000; and there were three bidders over $3,000. I would guess that the winning bidder placed a bid of $5,000 or so moments prior to the auctionís closing. That tells me something.

B. On Popsike, there are no listings for this sleeve. Ergo, no copies of this sleeve have sold on eBay for more than $25 in the past ten or so years. That tells us something.

C. The sole Fabares picture sleeve on Popsike sold for more than $900. That tells us something.

D. The Petersen sleeves on Popsike normally sell in the $50 range. That tells us something.

So, what does A, B, C, and D tell us? Have fun and post your answers . . .

NEAL

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 10:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I believe that Ebay started scrambling buyer IDs in September of 2009.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Hidden-User-ID-in-Bid-History-on-Ebay?ugid=10000000004479096

It's still possible to discover the actual buyer of the item, of course, from the feedback on the item that the seller eventually receives.

Jump to: