The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 10:12 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

HRTSHPDBOX

Thankee.

NEAL

Reply with quote Back to top
Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 05:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In the old days when you could see the users name you could also look at their feedback which also let you know where they live. All the auctions where I would see prices go through the roof were when the Japanese would show up.

For a while I was buying Columbia 45 box sets to get matrix numbers. Benny Goodman's were going for about $5 each. Then for one week only the Benny Goodman 45 box sets were in the triple digits and all won by Japanese. After a week it was over and prices returned to $5. I felt like it was some sort of Japanese scavenger hunt.

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 06:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

nealumphred wrote:
MASTERMIND

I have sold on eBay within the last ten years and they did nor blank out buyers names with asterisks. For example, six years ago your bids would show up as by "mastermind." With the sleeve above, you would show up as "m***d" with three asterisks taking the place of most of your name. That's recent.

I think sellers can still see the full user names of bidders on their own auctions.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 07:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

TheMastermind wrote:

I think sellers can still see the full user names of bidders on their own auctions.

Yes, that's true, the seller can always see the bidder IDs on their own items for sale; it's everyone else who can't.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 07:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

nealumphred wrote:
MASTERMIND

I have sold on eBay within the last ten years and they did nor blank out buyers names with asterisks. For example, six years ago your bids would show up as by "mastermind." With the sleeve above, you would show up as "m***d" with three asterisks taking the place of most of your name. That's recent.

RECORDFAN and FRED C and FELLOW GUILDERS

When doing my price guides, I had the contributors submit a suggested NM value for each item with which they were familiar. I would then have anywhere from, say, six to twenty-six values per record. Letís say I had nine submitted values that went ď$25, $25, $25, $100, $100, $100, $200, $200, $200.Ē

1. That usually told me the three low contributors ($25) were CLUELESS about that item in the current market.

2. The middle three contributors ($100) were either accurate FOR THE MOMENT or were reflected an accuracy of a few years before when they bought or sold the item being evaluated.

3. The three high values ($200) usually said these guys were clueless or dreamers or liars OR they knew something that the other guys did not.

It was my job then to determine whether 1, 2, or 3 was accurate. Most of the times, the high values accurately reflected the prices people who were buying and selling that item THEN were paying for it. It also usually meant that those sellers had a better reputation than others for grading, etc., and got higher prices because they were trusted. For those of you who have a copy of my book A TOUCH OF GOLD, I discuss this in more detail on page 4.

BACK TO THE FABARES/PETERSEN SLEEVE. Hereís a little exercise for you all:

A. For this auction, there were five bidders over $1,000; there were four bidders over $2,000; and there were three bidders over $3,000. I would guess that the winning bidder placed a bid of $5,000 or so moments prior to the auctionís closing. That tells me something.

B. On Popsike, there are no listings for this sleeve. Ergo, no copies of this sleeve have sold on eBay for more than $25 in the past ten or so years. That tells us something.

C. The sole Fabares picture sleeve on Popsike sold for more than $900. That tells us something.

D. The Petersen sleeves on Popsike normally sell in the $50 range. That tells us something.

So, what does A, B, C, and D tell us? Have fun and post your answers . . .

NEAL

what this tells us is if one sleeve or record sells for a very high price we watch for what the second one sells for. if it also goes for a unrealistically high price maybe it is more rare and desirable than we thought. at any type of auction it always takes two bidders to drive the price up. strange things happen.

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 09:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450,

You got that right, the final price is always determined by the second highest bid.

FredCOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 28, 2012 - 12:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

nealumphred wrote:
RECORDFAN and FRED C and FELLOW GUILDERS

BACK TO THE FABARES/PETERSEN SLEEVE. Hereís a little exercise for you all:

A. For this auction, there were five bidders over $1,000; there were four bidders over $2,000; and there were three bidders over $3,000. I would guess that the winning bidder placed a bid of $5,000 or so moments prior to the auctionís closing. That tells me something.

B. On Popsike, there are no listings for this sleeve. Ergo, no copies of this sleeve have sold on eBay for more than $25 in the past ten or so years. That tells us something.

C. The sole Fabares picture sleeve on Popsike sold for more than $900. That tells us something.

D. The Petersen sleeves on Popsike normally sell in the $50 range. That tells us something.

So, what does A, B, C, and D tell us? Have fun and post your answers . . .

NEAL

C & D are totally irrelavent, since they are not specific to the sleeve in question.

There were two bids placed in the closing seconds of the auction (within the final 15 seconds), where likely neither was aware of the other until it was over.The next latest bid was placed about two hours earlier. The Winner ended up being somebody not in the earlier action, which suggests that it was a pre-programmed sniped bid, or someone lurking in the background waiting for the closing seconds before jumping in. At that time, the highest bid seen would have likely been the $3,007 bid.

With regard to the Ebay names, a Bidder's name is different than you suggest. From my own experience, they use something OTHER than the actual Bidder's first and last letter linked with three asterisks. Mastermind would NOT be so obvious as "m***d".

Just curious (to Everyone), how much would You have been willing to pay to get the Fabares-Petersen sleeve...?

Fred Clemens

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 28, 2012 - 08:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

FredC wrote:
Just curious (to Everyone), how much would You have been willing to pay to get the Fabares-Petersen sleeve...?

Fred Clemens

I wouldn't have bid a single dollar for that sleeve. That said, I actually have a Shelley Fabares pic sleeve somewhere, just not the big bucks one. I'll see if I can find it.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 28, 2012 - 03:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Obviously that's a super-rare sleeve.
With so many people wanting it, I guess it's "worth" $4000 to the collector of that item.

In other news, eBay changed their policy regarding user ID's several times.

Originally, one could bid without a user name. Your e-mail address would show up as your ID. I believe this changed in Fall, 1996. After that point, you had to have a username.

E-mail addresses were more easily discovered in those days, without having to ask eBay for information. After they discovered a lot of people making contact and selling items outside of eBay, they changed that. This way, if they discover that someone appears to be regularly buying items outside of eBay, they can ban you.

In summer, 2007, they stopped showing the full user name. For a short period, they showed "Bidder 1," "Bidder 2," etc. in the bid history. In September, 2007, they changed to showing a scrambled version of the username.

RalphsRecords might show up as s***h.
As eBay put it, you see two "random" letters from the user ID. Of course, if your ID were something like kkkkkk, it would show as k***k. But I guess no one does that.

-------------------------

Another monkey wrench:

when there are 75 sales of an item in a given (reasonably verifiable) condition in a certain price range -- let's say $50 to $75, but the three highest-priced dealers in the country get $400, what is the "real" price? I have supported listing what ordinary people can get for their own items.

Frank

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 28, 2012 - 04:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

namralos wrote:

when there are 75 sales of an item in a given (reasonably verifiable) condition in a certain price range -- let's say $50 to $75, but the three highest-priced dealers in the country get $400, what is the "real" price?

Great question, and so many variables to consider. Using that example, if the three highest sales were also the most recent ones, that would be saying something. And if the three highest auctions used a term (like "northern soul") that most of the others didn't, that would be significant too. It could well be that a nice copy of the record, sold the right way by a good seller, brings in closer to $400. than $75.

Jump to: