The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zb420Offline
Post subject: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2012 - 11:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just brought this over from my parents home.
I haven't had a turntable in quite a while and this one will do just fine..

Reply with quote Back to top
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2012 - 08:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nice! Let me know what you think. I've had an AP-206 since the end of highschool (graduation present) and it's done me well. Not the best out there by any means but I love it for the manual speed adjustment and being a semi-automatic.

zb420Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2012 - 09:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ChadFromCanada wrote:
Nice! Let me know what you think. I've had an AP-206 since the end of highschool (graduation present) and it's done me well. Not the best out there by any means but I love it for the manual speed adjustment and being a semi-automatic.

In it's time it was one of the better ones... though I had Dual's and a Pioneer.
When do I know I need to adjust the anti-skating deal. I believe I know what it controls. I imagine I can the answer on Google.

Also I need the dustcover which was broke years ago and I have a feeling it's going to be a bitch finding this part. Make that a DOUBLE BITCH finding it.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2012 - 02:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

To be honest I've never touched the anti-skating setting, it's been sitting at 2 probably ever since I got it. Not sure about dust covers, never had to order a replacement, but I'm sure shipping is going to be a hard pill to swallow (if you can't get one locally).

zb420Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2012 - 02:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ChadFromCanada wrote:
To be honest I've never touched the anti-skating setting, it's been sitting at 2 probably ever since I got it. Not sure about dust covers, never had to order a replacement, but I'm sure shipping is going to be a hard pill to swallow (if you can't get one locally).

yes, mine is set at 1.
it also takes into consideration how much weight you want to put on the tonearm.
the records play fine, I ain't screwing with it.

zb420Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012 - 05:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ChadFromCanada wrote:

Chad, I find nothing at all not to like about this nice turntable. It's go just about everything I want but that dust cover. So I throw a micro-fiber towel over it when not in use.

...but I have been reading about the platter covers that are out now that weren't out when this was made. Ours are made out of hard rubber, I read that the ones with more give in them are better and play the records better especially in loud areas.
There are felt ones, silicone ones and others. They apparently absorb the sound vibrations better.
You still have the stock one on yours?

I do know that radio stations use felt covers.

Ever given this much thought?

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 - 09:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not sure if my platter cover is stock or not since it doesn't have an Akai marking on it (it does have some sort product number type thing but googling didn't help). It's a very soft rubber. My dad has a Project TT I believe and it uses a felt type material platter cover; it's supposed to be somewhat of an audiophile TT (though it's not very expensive) so I'd imagine they consider felt ones to give some sort of benefit (or no negative compared to others).

Rick-TV!Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 - 01:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The secret to the anti-skate is that it should match whatever the tracking weight is set at, i.e. 2 for 2 grams. Keeps the tonearm from "skating" across the grooves, if even slightly. Looks like a nice table to start with.

zb420Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Sep 24, 2012 - 03:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've had a cartridge in this now for a month or more and really am enjoying listening to records I haven't heard in ages.
I got the tracking set at 2.5 grams and the anti-skating likewise. Nothing special, just basically a generic stylus. Barrie did tell me that they don't last as long as name brands but that's just find for now.

Still haven't found a cover nor decided on the platter cover, knowing now that there are grooves in the stock cover that helped me make sure the over-hang was correct.

Going to look now on eBay for a felt cover...

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Akai AP-306  PostPosted: Sep 24, 2012 - 05:17 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

I'd imagine they consider felt ones to give some sort of benefit (or no negative compared to others).

Felt is an awful material for this purpose. The only people who really need them are DJ's and radio stations, as they allow you to cue the record to a specific spot and hold the record in place while the platter slips underneath. At the appropriate time, you just go of the record and jt starts, almost instantly, on cue.

However, this very feature is one good reason for not using one for normal record playing, as the record can naturally slip on the felt. Another good reason is that felt is a mrvellous dust trap and you wouldn't want to transfer any of that into your pristine records, would you?

Personally, I'd stay with what you have.

Jump to: