The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BokkiebehOffline
Post subject: Recommendation needed..  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 - 04:14 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Although I play my records on my Technics SL1210 II for years and years now, my girl wants to have a vintage deck downstairs, preferably with wooden finish. So I suggested to buy a Thorens..but know to little about these vintage recordplayers to be honest.
Anybody here that can give me some suggestions, and things I need to know before I buy one?

TIA Bokkie

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommendation needed..  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 - 08:50 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Some of the older Elac, Dual and Pioneer turntables had nice wooden bases. Most of the Duals are automatic changers and will often need considerable servicing, removing old hardened grease and relubricating. I have an Elac Mirachord, and although it's similar to the Dual in design, required nothing more than a general clean up.

BokkiebehOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommendation needed..  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 - 10:18 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Never heard of the Elac Mirachord, but interested now and looking it up on the net! Beautifull shape, great looks...but fearing what the price would be when I find one! When I was googling today alot of the old "brands" popped up, Thorens, Luxman, Dual...seems there is still a market for
these vintage players? Sometimes prices really amase me!
Now I do wonder if the players from the 70's can indeed compete with the players nowadays...I read stories about "yes", they do" and "No..and they will never"...
So it seems I do need to be informed VERY well first!

Btw..it may sound stupid, but I want to buy a vintage player ALSO for the looks...offcourse it has to sound perfect and work in perfect order...but "looks"
are important too! Just gonna play some Jazz, Funk and Soul on that one...

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommendation needed..  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 - 11:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Marantz also made some sharp looking wood-bodied tables back in the day, same with Denon and Sony, but aesthetically Marantz is one of my favs.

As per new vs old, there are great and poor examples of tables past and present so you can't really make a blanket statement.

Yes, some of those old tables can command a pretty penny, but compared to what you can get brand new today for the same money a lot them are relative bargains.

BokkiebehOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommendation needed..  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 - 11:55 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Yeah..I really like that Model 6300..very sharp looking player!!
I will keep you updated, at the moment I am looking at a Thorens TD160 in MINT condition in a store nearby me. Not sure what the price is yet...

B_big.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Recommendation needed..  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2012 - 12:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Bokkiebeh wrote:
Yeah..I really like that Model 6300..very sharp looking player!!
I will keep you updated, at the moment I am looking at a Thorens TD160 in MINT condition in a store nearby me. Not sure what the price is yet...

( ( ( ( ( (((((((
    Let me sneak in and give you some information about the 'Thorens TD 160 (Super)'. I use mine for more than 35 years without any annoying issues and it has proved to be a high class reliable companion that served me more than just well. Especially the drive is a myth nowadays. So, if you can afford to spend the money on a nearly mint one, do it!

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Jump to: