The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alfeizarOffline
Post subject: Promo records from outside the US  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 - 10:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm fairly new to collecting records, and have a few promo copies from the US (gold stamped promos, ELP, time strips, etc). But I haven't seen many promo copies from UK or German records. I do have a Supertramp - Breakfast in America from the UK that has a gold stamped text on the back, that's all I've ever seen in person. Here's a pic

Are there label variations from UK and german copies, or something like the US radio time strips? Maybe this has to do with the big amount of official radio statios that were in the US compared to other countries. I would love to know more about all this Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 - 05:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Andres, I'm pretty sure there are white label versions, I know there is for Japanese releases. I do have some Metal promos from Germany but they just say For Promotion Only or something like that on the label, they are not WLP's (White Label Promo)

djdaffy1227Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 - 06:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are definite differences in UK 12" promos in the Prince world. Here are some if mine:

Controversy:

Sign o' the times:

Raspberry beret:

The arms of Orion:

Gett off:

I wish u heaven:

DMSR:

Pope:

I have others but you get the idea. I also have a couple French promos and Brazilian promos.

alfeizarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 09:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Cool thanks for the info guys! Do you know if these UK/German/French/Japanese promos are harder to find in those countries than finding a US promo in the states? I have seen a few in discographies and on ebay also but they don't seem to be as many as with US versions

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2012 - 09:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As a rule UK and European promo releases are pressed in far smaller numbers.

alfeizarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2012 - 06:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

KentT wrote:
As a rule UK and European promo releases are pressed in far smaller numbers.

Thanks Kent for the answer. Were they pressed in smaller numbers because of smaller quantities of radio stations in proportion compared to the US or maybe because they only made few of them and sent them to some radio stations?

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 - 10:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Both reasons apply. In European countries, there are fewer radio stations and they get white label promos, some major critics and record stores might get white labels. From what I understand, record stores there don't get play copies per se.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject: Re: Promo records from outside the US  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 - 03:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

alfeizar wrote:
... the big amount of official radio statios that were in the US compared to other countries.

damn, "Why Can't I Go Back?" (The Grodeck Whipperjenny; People Records...1970?)...ha-

I wish just 1/10th of some of those dinky stations still existed- they went the way of the drive-in...
I mean, there was structured, and non-structured formatting once. Believe it or not I can
still remember this one AM station that, for all it's fidelity limitations, sounded so badass...
I look back in fond retrospect, and wow wuz there some righteous underground/non-commercial
stuff to be heard. I'm betting all my favorite songs were all white label promos being spun.
True WLP's hit the disc jockey first, I'd bank on itt. I've snagged a few where, I just couldn't
believe how good the sound was, versus just a visual inspection of the grooves... Smile

FastphillyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 23, 2012 - 11:52 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I many cases in the UK and Germany, alot of 12" promo singles were plain white labels that resemble test pressings with no text on the label. Most shared the same catalog number as stock issues which can be confirmed on the runout.

Through the 80's, Warner Brothers would have a large #1 and #2 on each side. Chrysalis had advance promo labels that titles were hand written in.

alfeizarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 - 07:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Fastphilly wrote:
I many cases in the UK and Germany, alot of 12" promo singles were plain white labels that resemble test pressings with no text on the label. Most shared the same catalog number as stock issues which can be confirmed on the runout.

Through the 80's, Warner Brothers would have a large #1 and #2 on each side. Chrysalis had advance promo labels that titles were hand written in.

Thanks very interesting info!

Jump to: