The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
villainOffline
Post subject: A new question of Capitol Records Beatles Matrix #s  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 - 11:11 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I have been looking around for about an hour in these forums and others and can't seem to find anything similar to what I've got.

I have a copy of Sgt Pepper's mastered by capitol records.
Side-1 code is: SMAS-1-2653-F-27.
side -2 code is: SMAS-2-2653-F-31..

(the punctuation marks are as they are on the deadwax, not sure about what it is.)

My main reference and best found source of info was: http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=22363

I find a few things odd about it...
First, and most obvious, is that the difference between the 2 numbers, the above post doesn't well explain what the 5th block is for, so I have no clue if that is normal or not.
Second, on both sides, it seems that SMAS was originally SMAL, almost looks as if the S was scratched in with a safety pin or a needle, because it is sloppy and repeated (as in, whoever did it moved over the shape of an S multiple times, resulting in the illusion of multiple S's placed on top of eachother.)
There is also a seemingly hand-drawn "2" at the 6 o'clock position on the side 2, don't know if that is normal, but in my searching i have found nothing else about it.
Other markings in the deadwax are:
a single number "1" at the 2 o'clock
"MASTERED BY CAPITOL" and a shape resembling an asterisk or a starburst at 12 o'clock

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

For those interested, it is from a fair-poor sleeve with a square white Fool inner, center holed with glued flaps on either side, no other markings. Misprint on back of sleeve "A Little Help From My Friends" in stead of "With A Little Help From My Friends (disk label says the correct one). the top right of the rear of the cover is marked "SMAS 2653" as well as the inside cover just above George Harrison's shoulder. The original Cut-Out page is also inside and in near-perfect condition.

The reason I say the sleeve is Fair-Poor is that the top edge has been worn to the point that if one so-desired, they could pull the record out of the top. There is also a 2 inch long slit in the middle of the binding, and a 4 inch long separation on the bottom edge of the opening. There are a few scratches on the back of the cover as well. otherwise, there is no water damage, nor fading of the ink anywhere on the cover.

Reply with quote Back to top
villainOffline
Post subject: RE: A new question of Capitol Records Beatles Matrix #s  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 12:43 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Furthermore, it came with a set of 10 of the Topps trading cards, really cool stuff.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: A new question of Capitol Records Beatles Matrix #s  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 06:59 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

villain wrote:
... Other markings in the deadwax are:
a single number "1" at the 2 o'clock
"MASTERED BY CAPITOL" and a shape resembling an asterisk or a starburst at 12 o'clock ....
From your description this is a reissue with the Los Angeles factory mark (the " * "). FWIW, a numeral 1 or 2 is usually found associated with the LA mark. Which label design does your copy have?

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 12:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That information was taken from an earlier version of my own web page.

Side-1 code is: SMAS-1-2653-F-27.
side -2 code is: SMAS-2-2653-F-31..

S = stereo
M = price code
A = one disc
S = packaging code (gatefold cover)

1 or 2 = side number

2653 = catalog number

F indicates the machine that cut the metal parts. This one used F and G.

27 or 31 = stamper number. Dots indicate sub-masters being used.

Records pressed in Los Angeles also used single numbers to indicate whether they had made a new copy of the master itself.

The asterisk is the LA factory symbol, as my page on Capitol albums indicates.

--------------------------

Some copies from 1975 have the matrix prefix accidentally changed to SMAL. some covers from 1976 have the prefix changed to SMAL. This changed back to SMAS almost immediately.

An "L" (meaning libretto) was the indicator that a booklet was included. Since Pepper did not include a booklet, SMAL- was incorrect.

Frank

villainOffline
Post subject: Re: A new question of Capitol Records Beatles Matrix #s  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 08:06 PM
Level 2
Level 2

annaloog wrote:
Which label design does your copy have?

It's the Apple Label.

you can sort of see what i was talking about with the S hand scratched over an imprinted L in the picture. hard to photograph deadwax etchings with a phone.

villainOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 08:16 PM
Level 2
Level 2

namralos wrote:

Some copies from 1975 have the matrix prefix accidentally changed to SMAL. some covers from 1976 have the prefix changed to SMAL. This changed back to SMAS almost immediately.

An "L" (meaning libretto) was the indicator that a booklet was included. Since Pepper did not include a booklet, SMAL- was incorrect.

Frank

ahhh, so then this is most likely a '75 copy due to the cover being marked SMAS, but the matrix is SMAL, altered to SMAS?

I am not asking these questions to find a value for the record, indeed I intend to keep it and listen to it for years and years to come, I am just a naturally inquisitive person and I wanted to know what it was. Thanks Frank for your info, very very helpful.

villainOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 08:54 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Also in my collection is a copy of "The Beatles Again" which I am told is an early print because it says "The beatles Again" on the label rather than "Hey Jude" as the album title.
Apple Label.
SO-1(2)-385-z-21.(.) {same on both sides except for side indicator and side 1 has 1 dot where as 2 has 2 dots.}
There is a "1" at the 7 o'clock, asterisk at the 6 o'clock, a hardly legible "Bell sound" and "sf" in script just between the two.

The only other Beatles album I have is a copy of "A Hard Day's Night" from United Artists Records. (MONO)
UAL-3366-A-IL (side 1) UAL-3366-B-IK (side 2) {There are no other Matrix markings}
Black Label with silver type, blue, gold, white, and red circles along the top from 10 o'clock to 2.
The cover from this one says:
"ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUND TRACK
THE BEATLES
A HARD DAY'S NIGHT"
Then the normal album art
then at the bottom:
"high fidelity THE BEATLES - A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - UNITED ARTISTS UAL 3366"
United artists symbol in the bottom right corner.

The back cover is pretty normal except the bottom right corner say "monaural UAL 2266"
Also, there is a misprinting in the song list on the cover and the label: the song "I'll cry instead" is printed as "I cry instead"

I'm told that the movie was made by UAR in order to promote the music and was never intended to be a successful movie, all profit was intended to be made from selling the soundtrack. This was supposedly The Beatles' big breakout to US listeners.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012 - 01:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yes, your copy of Pepper is a late Apple copy, c. 1975.

All early copies of the Hey Jude album in America (and several other countries) are marked "The Beatles Again" on the label -- because that was the album's original title. All copies of the original cassette also say "The Beatles Again."

The prefix of the first label variations has the prefix "SO" instead of "SW." That's because Capitol was planning to charge more money for the album ($6.98) as the SO prefix would indicate), but they dropped the price (to $5.98) after the first labels were printed. The vast majority of copies have the SO prefix. Copies that read SW on the label and still have the "Beatles Again" title are much harder to find, because the title was quickly changed to "Hey Jude."

"sf" stands for Sam Feldman, who cut records for Bell Sound Studios.

-------------------

United Artists had no pressing plants of their own. Most of their records were made by Columbia (central US and east coast) and HV Waddell (west cost), although there are some contract pressings of the LP made by RCA.

All UA covers read "I Cry Instead." Some copies have corrected labels.
If you're bored enough to read all kinds of stuff about the Hard Day's Night album on UA, check out my page about that album:
http://www.friktech.com/btls/hard.pdf

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

namralos wrote:
... F indicates the machine that cut the metal parts. This one used F and G....
Question I'm not certain what you mean by this, considering the metal parts (matrices and stampers) were plated.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 - 11:23 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

When the metal stampers were made, the stampers were given alphanumeric designations.

Jump to: