The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cityboy
Post subject: Should we play our records???  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 03:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Ok, I have this friend (no really, I have a friend) and just for this discussion we will call him Gary. (his real name) Laughing

Ok now, everytime I even think about playing a record that is in mint shape he freaks out!!

"Do you know how much damage you are doing to that record by playing it" he says.
He claims that he can tell the difference of a new record & a new record that has been played only 3 times. (oh, I forgot, Gary is a dog) Wink

Well maybe he has dog ears.

So what do you guys think? How much damage are you doing to a record each time you play it? (let's say that you have a really good turntable)
Can you hear the difference of a record after only playing it 3 times??

Oh, one other thing. He claims my Mickey Mouse Close & Play turntable is not very good. Laughing

Reply with quote Back to top
terryquasiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 03:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I play mine all the time, but, I don't collect for the $, I collect for the music.

cityboy
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 04:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Ok Terry,
but do you think you would notice a difference in the sound after 3 or 4 plays? I would think that after you played a record 10 or 15 times you would, but not after 3??

terryquasiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 04:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

If your system is in good working condition I think you would be safe in playing it. But if your main concern is resale,leave it in the cover. You never know. sh*t happens!
Terry

whirlingdiscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 05:50 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Why on earth would anyone own vinyl and not want to play it? I mean "Art" is one thing...frame it and look at it! That's the asthetic appeal. But records were made to be played. So exactly what good is a piece of vinyl that has never seen a turntable apart from boasting rights and $$ value? Sort of defeats the entire purpose of collecting.

cityboy
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 10:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Ok, ok, let me put this another way.

How many times would you need to play a record to actually notice the sound quality change? (providing you played it on a good turntable & took good care handling it)

Would you notice a diffrence in the sound after 3 plays?

I would think that you might notice a a slight diffrence after maybe 6 or 8 plays.

whirlingdiscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 11:34 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Sorry that I didn't address the issue, Cityboy! Got a little sidetracked with the other aspect. I believe that the answer to this depends very much on a couple of factors:
1) First and foremost, the quality of your turntable and stylus is critical; i.e. the more sensitive and advanced, the less likely you are to cause any "noticeable" wear, at least from an auditory standpoint. So, in such a case, where you have an excellent quality turntable, the answer is NO...there would not be any auditory difference after 3 plays...probably not after 10 plays either!
2) Records should ideally be cleaned BEFORE and AFTER each play. Doing so, prevents the build-up of dust particles in the groove. Often on a NM looking record that plays with crackles, this is the root of the problem. Doing this and being meticulous about it will also ensure that after 3 plays (or so) you will not notice any sound depreciation.
3) The quality of the vinyl will also be a factor.
I'm sure there are other mitigating factors, but generally, although placing a stylus on vinyl obviously will compromise the integrity of the vinyl, careful handling and excellence of equipment will ensure little to no depreciation in sound quality to the normal ear even after a number of plays!
Hope this helps!

LPMAN
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 03:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I play everything I own, even the rare stuff. Why the hell would buy music and not listen to it? I can understand not wanting to play a top dollar record over and over, but to freak out about means you really are more interested in a fiscal investment, not a musical one.

CrackleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 04:41 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I just collect records for the music, but I have to say there's some records I've played at least once or twice a week that sound just as good as they ever did (and I would argue better, although I may sound crazy.... Shocked ). I've always figured anyone who owns records has a bunch of them and if they're on rotation, the wear should, if on a good turntable, be extremely minimal if at all. The other thing is, even if you're collecting the record for monetary value (which I honestly don't get, but that's another story), if it's opened, even totally mint, do you honestly think that every one of those records previous owners had was only played 3 times or less when it was new? We're collecting a format that at the time of its prime was the only oft-used way to hear music, and it's likely a lot of people back then weren't as meticulous about cleaning/tracking force, et al, as we are, so playing it again (or again....) ourselves shouldn't be an issue. Just my thoughts.

BostonFan1
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 - 04:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I play almost every record I own, (except for the still sealed copies) no matter if it's worth a dime or a hundred bucks or more.

Whirlingdisc was right about the cleaning. I belive it's not the stylus that causes wear, but the dust and debris in the grooves.
If the record is not cleaned, the needle drags thru the particles, scraping the grooves like sandpaper, causing wear to both the record and the needle. (Producing the crackling sound)

If I have been playing a record, I always try to clean it once a month with my ''Formula V'' record cleaner. (Sorry, Top Secret.) and wash it with distilled water in a sponge before and after I play it.

If the record is clean and played with a good stylus on a proper tone arm, I think a record would last for many thousands of playings. (Provided you don't drop it on a concrete floor in the meantime.) Very Happy

Jump to: