The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 02:14 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

opinion from me...

i play all my records, cause as mentioned allredy here by others, i have bought them to be played as well as part of collection...and also, talkin about original pressing compared to re-release, i find it that from original it sounds better...maybe itīs just my ears, donīt know Smile

by the way, have anyone notice...my experience with pictured discs...no matter how fine condition it will look, most of times it has more hiss and snap-crackle-pop-sounds when comparing its "normal" vinyl version...i have few albums with picture and plain vinyl version, both looks same condition, but sounds with picture are weaker...Cure - Disintergation for example...

by the way, with these, i play plain and put that picture one to frame or so... Smile

Does anyone else have this? Is there some reson for this?

Rgds, Kimmo

Reply with quote Back to top
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 02:47 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Kimmo,

we had a discussion on this one (can't recall right now where exactly but I will do a search) - anyway Mikey will be able to help you with more detailed information..

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 02:52 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

yeah, i think so too...i just wondered if there is some reason coming from way of pressing the vinyl etc...Mikey might give some more light on this...

Rgds, Kimmo

anothermelbourniteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 04:18 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Ahhh, Disintegration on vinyl. How good is it! I particularly like the "This album has been mixed to be played loud. So turn it up" message on the inner sleeve Very Happy

anothermelbourniteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 04:21 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Oh yeah, and in relevance to the thread - records are made to be listened to. I just got my first vinyl copy of Kind Of Blue today, and i'm stunned. It's amazing....

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 04:35 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

anothermelbournite,

a similar statement can be found on the innersleeve of "Let it Bleed" by the Rolling Stones (1. press only).

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 05:47 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

play loud, yes Smile

Disintegration, play loud, it sounds like..ehh, Lullaby? Laughing

same goes with Stones...

finish band called Hurriganes, on their first album it says " ( in finish, so translated here...) play it loud, so neighbours can listen too...

Rgds, Kimmo

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 07:21 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Kimmo wrote:
... my experience with pictured discs...no matter how fine condition it will look, most of times it has more hiss and snap-crackle-pop-sounds when comparing its "normal" vinyl version ....

Picture disks were made to be looked at (and collected, and thus enhance the record cos.' bottom line), not for serious listening.

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 - 07:29 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

thnx annaloog, i agree, they were made to be looked...

another thing, thereīs quite a lot interviews made come out in picture disc shape, Precious Stones/ Rolling Stones for example. Those were made in some sense of listening too, right? But overall, those are made more or less to collectors...and, anyway, they look pretty nice anyway, no matter what original consideration have been...

mint picture disc then...should it be that in most of cases, you can have mint picture disc, but there is always this quality difference that you have to keep in mind...i mean, mint picture disc might have a big difference in sound comparing to its plain vinyl pressing...

rgds, Kimmo

chewyOffline
Post subject: Sound quality of picture discs.  PostPosted: Apr 14, 2004 - 12:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Surprised I have also found that alot of my colored vinyl records from the 50's also have that crackle and pop sound even though they look to be in nm shape.Is this because black vinyl is much better than other colored vinyl.Sorry if i'm off topic or if this has been discussed before.......Later,Chewy

Jump to: