The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: rate the hardest to find E sun 45s and 78s  PostPosted: Aug 01, 2012 - 09:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

here's my rating for the sun 45s and 78s, what's some of the other opinions on these? notice i didn't say "rate their rarity" ha ha as none of them are rare.

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: rate the hardest to find E sun 45s and 78s  PostPosted: Aug 01, 2012 - 01:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I rate all of 'em as hard to find. I've never come across one...and I live in the South!!!!!

CTcollectorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2012 - 09:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have always felt that #217 (Baby, Let's Play House) was by far the most common of the five - especially in the 45 format.

sun-rockerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2012 - 08:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think that the 223 is the one that pops up on ebay every time - for me this is the easiest to get.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2012 - 05:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are several label variations of each single, some of which are definitely scarcer than others. Also, most Monarch pressings from LA appear to be harder to find than their Memphis counterparts.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2013 - 09:52 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

WURLITZER

Sun 223 is far and away the easiest of the Elvis Suns to find, just as it is the easiest of the original RCA reissues of those five Sun singles.

217 is a reasonably close second as a Sun but much harder to find as an original RCA reissue. Both these singles reached the national C&W Top 10 as Sun records, so they sold well in the South.

Sun 209 is a distant third; while initial sales of 60,000 have been bandied about for decades, apparently no one knows the final sales figures for this one or the others. The original RCA reissue is hard to find.

Sun 210 was a HUGE disappointment in the sales department and is considerably harder to find than the above three, either as a Sun or original RCA reissue.

Sun 215, as close to straight R&B one of Elvis’ A-sides got until 1958, was ignored by white and black record-buyers alike. It is hands down the rarest of the five Elvis Sun singles and as an original RCA reissue.

215, 210, and 217 (in that order) are also difficult to find as Gold Standard reissues.

Due to use and breakage, all of the 78s are harder to find than the 45s. And, Namralos is correct: the Monarch pressings (with a teenyweeny delta/triangle etched into the dead wax) are much harder to find than the Memphis pressings, if in less demand.

For completists: all of Elvis’ Sun 45s were issued in plain paper sleeves; Sam did not spend the money for Sun company sleeves until Johnny and Jerry Lee had made him some money in 1957. Nonetheless, many collectors and sellers will pull a Sun sleeve off of another record and put their Elvis record in it for presentation purposes.

Hope this helps, some . . .

NEAL

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2013 - 11:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

209 is big here locally. I've had both it and 210 on 78 from one estate sale. 215 does not turn up too often which is strange because his first two tours through the area were in the January and February following its release. Not likely he would have had copies with him on the January tour, but definitely likely he would have had them on the next swing through in February.

5 shows here in Odessa and another 3 or 4 in Midland. All in '55. People LOVED him out here.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2013 - 10:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In general, my own research agrees entirely with what Neal has provided.

Are we counting label variations -- or simply the singles?

CTcollectorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2013 - 03:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I know that I said this earlier - but in the past year or so, (since I have started to try to purchase copies of all 5) it seems to me that I see more of 217 than anything else - but I can't help but wonder how many legitimate copies of 223 have been otherwise disposed of, because unknowing owners (who perhaps inherited them from the original purchasers) thought they they were reissues, simply because there were no pushmarks on them.

Something interesting to ponder?

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2013 - 08:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

thanks for your input guys, i think a lot of it has to do with what area of the country you live in.

here's a great trivia question --- what was the first release on RCA by E?

Jump to: