The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tw5270Offline
Post subject: Second State Cover?  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 - 05:20 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I don’t know how you Beatles fans do it! There are soooo many reproductions, editions, variations, blah blah blah…
So I don’t normally mess with Beatles stuff because I am just not smart enough to not loose my shirt. But a friend asked me to sell a few for her and I said I’d do some research. Wow what an undertaking. Yes I have checked Google, Popsike, Ebay and a few other sites (to include thebutchercover.com that namralos recommended here)
All to no avail. I have learned a few things but I still have concerns so I thought I would let the experts here weigh in.
First…could this be a second state stereo cover? There is NO number on the back, the cover is pretty dirty but I do not see the tell tale “V” from Ringo’s turtleneck I should see. However It does have the wrap over black tab at top, it does appear dark around the border under the white label, it does list all recording times on the label. So take a look and tell me your thoughts …pretty please?

I also have questions about several other albums but I don’t want to flood the thread with a gazzilion pictures.
With permission I would love to ask some questions about a few others I have for her.

Reply with quote Back to top
Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Second State Cover?  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2012 - 06:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like no, it is not. Ringo black V is fairly obvious on paste-overs. Also, a second state cover will be narrower as they cut them down after applying the paste-over.

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/10/03/Beatles_author_says_Butcher_cover_photog_Whitaker_embraced_p/

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2012 - 01:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That is not a second-state (paste-over) butcher cover. Instead, it is a standard "trunk-cover" copy.

a) As the previous post indicates, the black "V" ought to be clearly visible.
b) The white space around the edge of the front cover is also a place where the cover underneath should be visible, and it is not.
c) I see no cover number on the back. All STEREO butcher paste-overs have a number of 2 or 5 on the back cover.

Your copy came out before the middle of 1967 but it is not a butcher cover. KEEP LOOKING!!!

tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2012 - 02:38 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks Guys. I didn't think so but I thought it was worth asking your opinions.

Jump to: