The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zb420Offline
Post subject: Deftones White Pony Double LP Promo Maverick Records  PostPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 11:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've been sitting on a sealed copy of this for quite a while, it's in beautiful shape.

Normally I think items like this will increase in value as time goes by. But, I'm not that familiar with this group and have no idea what their staying power will be? Unlike Bob Smith & The Visit's double LP on Kent, which I don't see the demand changing for, I am not sure on The Deftones.

There is a used copy of this package up on the bay for $199.00.

What do you think this is worth at the moment and do you think it will hold it's value or is it time to see if I can get rid of it?

Thanks.

Reply with quote Back to top
AudioGasoline
Post subject: RE: Deftones White Pony Double LP Promo Maverick Records  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2012 - 09:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I tend to think that this title might not increase anymore in value - a few years ago, these were selling in the 250-300+ range. The two that recently sold on the bay went for $90 and $130. $200 or more is still possible, but it would have to be a pristine copy IMO (sealed is great, if the cover is NM or higher it's even better). If I were selling this, I would wait a couple of months until the internet shopping season is back in full swing, since the summer months are notoriously slower with fewer shoppers. The holiday shopping season is usually a really good time for valuable titles like this, too.

A good tactic for high-end stuff like this is a high dollar Buy It Now with the Make Offer option. That way you don't run the risk of selling yourself short with a lower opening bid at auction, and you can gain intel on what interested buyers are willing to pay. Since your copy is sealed, you've got a little leverage to use against competing opened copies. I would set the Buy It Now at least around $250ish (maybe $300 if the cover is exceptional too) and see what buyers have to say. You can pick and choose between the highest offer, and if someone pops on the $300, even better. Be prepared for some low-ball offers, though, most likely coming from other sellers looking to flip it.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

zb420Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Deftones White Pony Double LP Promo Maverick Record  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2012 - 04:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

AudioGasoline wrote:
I tend to think that this title might not increase anymore in value - a few years ago, these were selling in the 250-300+ range. The two that recently sold on the bay went for $90 and $130. $200 or more is still possible, but it would have to be a pristine copy IMO (sealed is great, if the cover is NM or higher it's even better). If I were selling this, I would wait a couple of months until the internet shopping season is back in full swing, since the summer months are notoriously slower with fewer shoppers. The holiday shopping season is usually a really good time for valuable titles like this, too.

A good tactic for high-end stuff like this is a high dollar Buy It Now with the Make Offer option. That way you don't run the risk of selling yourself short with a lower opening bid at auction, and you can gain intel on what interested buyers are willing to pay. Since your copy is sealed, you've got a little leverage to use against competing opened copies. I would set the Buy It Now at least around $250ish (maybe $300 if the cover is exceptional too) and see what buyers have to say. You can pick and choose between the highest offer, and if someone pops on the $300, even better. Be prepared for some low-ball offers, though, most likely coming from other sellers looking to flip it.

Thank you for some very helpful advice. I was concerned that this item might decrease in value as time goes by. Especially if The Deftones do nothing major in the future.

So I think I'll do exactly what you suggest.. that is, hold off putting it up until the Christmas Frenzy starts. I have several Christmas related LP's for that time, including everyone's favorite Christmas guest, Phil Spector "Phil Spector's Christmas Album w/ a big poster of Uncle Phil.

Just one thing, with a $250 BIN price, what would you have bids starting at. oh wait.. would there be an opening bid with Make An Offer? Maybe not....?

Maybe Christmas time will be an excellent time to put one sealed copy Bob Smith and The Visit LP up too? I want to sell one more copy of that and then put them away.

Thanks again... great suggestions,
Steve

AudioGasoline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Deftones White Pony Double LP Promo Maverick Re  PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 - 11:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think I got my nomenclature crossed - not an auction sale but a Fixed Price listing with Make Offer. The fixed price starts high, and any offers would take the place of bids.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

zb420Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2012 - 01:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Someone that I know locally want's to buy this.

What would you guys say would be my low price.. like I said, this is as close to Mint as it comes and yes it's sealed as I already said.

Am I dreaming with a $300.00 price, if so , what's more realistic?

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2012 - 04:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Part of the problem people face with holding on to scarce albums like that is that plenty of bands are reissuing those titles.
They see that a given title is fetching $200 or more and due to demand, thus the reissue.
And yes, the Deftones did recently reissue all of their early work, including White Pony, so someone dying to get their hands on a copy doesn't have to try nearly as hard or pay as much.

zb420Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2013 - 06:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I sold it yesterday for $300 online minus about 12%+.35 off the top.
So I'll clear a little under $270.00.
I am not greedy ....do I think I could have gotten more, yes, when??? Who the hell knows?
...but I'm pleased.

no_dude
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 31, 2014 - 12:38 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Rafter242 wrote:
Part of the problem people face with holding on to scarce albums like that is that plenty of bands are reissuing those titles.
They see that a given title is fetching $200 or more and due to demand, thus the reissue.
And yes, the Deftones did recently reissue all of their early work, including White Pony, so someone dying to get their hands on a copy doesn't have to try nearly as hard or pay as much.

No doubt. My entire collection of early Earth LP's were VERY scarce and going for upwards of $300. Southern Lord has just now been re-issing them all, including the Limited Edition
Bees Made Honey" and the reissues are going for under $30 now. There's not reason to buy an exact replica of it for $300 unless you're a die-hard about first pressings.

My advice is to sell at peak time, unless it's a truly rare album with 30 years+ since it's release.

Jump to: