The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ernie11Offline
Post subject: Elvis LP, LPM 1382  PostPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 12:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not an Elvis collector per se, so I have to resort to price guides and am trying to confirm if I've found a good version of this LP. It looks like one of the earlier pressings and the GM price guide lists a scarcer variety with "Band 1", "Band 2", etc. on the labels. The back cover has ads for 8 other RCA LP's.

Below is a scan, which looks terrible because my scanner doesn't pick up silver print on black real well, so I had to crank up the brightness. The record is a VG+, very glossy, has one long light scratch on Side 1 that may be shallow enough not to affect play, I will play this soon and find out. Side 2 is beautiful. I can tell by the spindle holes and the sharp feel of the edges of the record that it hasn't been played very much.

elvis_lpm1382.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.83 KB
 Viewed:  1063 Time(s)

elvis_lpm1382.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
namralosOffline
Post subject: RE: Elvis LP, LPM 1382  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2012 - 09:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Copies pressed by the Hollywood and Indianapolis plants had labels that list the songs the normal way: 1, 2, 3, etc.. Copies pressed by the Rockaway plant have "Band 1" etc.. on the label. Your copy is one of these.
They're not rare, per se, but they are remarkable -- obviously different. Off the top of my head, there are at least ten original Rockaway labels, with the information slightly shifted about the label.
Since your album has a cover that shows other RCA albums, there are more common and less common covers, too. The hardest to find seem to be the ones that mention only classical albums.
How many covers are there? Only a dozen that show ads for albums. RCA Victor created a collectors' dream/nightmare with that album. The Presley completist could spend a year getting ORIGINAL copies of LPM-1382.

You definitely have an original copy that was likely pressed at the Rockaway plant.

Ernie11Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2012 - 03:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Many thanks for the help, I wasn't aware of the different RCA factories. I was net surfing and found a great website that detailed all these varieties for this and other Elvis LP's. None of the matirx number combinations there for Side 1 / side 2 exactly match mine (that both end in 5S), but they're close enough to identify this LP.

With the cover, mine is the one that has "More great pop and jazz albums to fit every mood!" as the ad line on the back, and has LP's by artists like Jaye P. Morgan and Perry Como.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 - 12:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's a fairly typical cover for the LP. You can now be certain that your copy of the album is an original copy, pressed in 1956 on the east coast.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 - 02:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And by the way for your own amusement, here's what I know about so far for LPM-1382:

Covers:
Ad-back cover -- There are twelve different ones of these
Cover #2 -- Looks just like the ad-back cover, but the ads are missing
Cover #3 -- has the same information that was on the ad-back cover, but it has been centered on the back cover
Cover #4 -- The back cover information has been reorganized. The song titles are now on the left side instead of the right side.
All of the above covers came out before January, 1962.
Cover #5 -- In 1/62, the album was pressed for the first time in rechanneled stereo. In conjunction with that change, the cover was redesigned. The new cover has the song titles on the front. "RE" appears on the back to indicate a reissue. That cover lasted until the demise of mono in 1968.

Labels:
Label #55-01 (1956) -- The author credit for "Paralyzed" lists only Otis Blackwell.
Label 01I1 -- Indianapolis label. The title is in small, thin print above the spindle hole.
There is not much space between the title and the hole, or between the hole and the first song title below it.
Label 01I2 -- Indianapolis. The title is in small, thin print above the spindle hole.
There is more space between the title and the hole, and between the hole and the first song title below it.
Label 01R1-11 -- Rockaway. The titles are shown as "Band 1, Band 2, etc.." "New Orthophonic High Fidelity" is above the song title under Nipper. There are ELEVEN DIFFERENT LABELS known to exist, and probably more exist. These depend on the placement of the lettering on the label.
Label 01H1-3 -- Hollywood. The title is written as E L V I S. There are THREE different labels known to exist. These depend on the exact placement of the lettering on the label.
------------------------------
Label #55-02 (1956) -- The author credit for "Paralyzed" reads Otis Blackwell-Elvis Presley.
Label 02I1 -- Indianapolis.
Label 02R1 -- Rockaway. Rockaway probably did not correct their labels until later, since the corrected label has a completely different font. It looks more like it came out in 1958 or 1959.
------------------------------
Label #55a (1960) -- The print around the rim of the label has been changed. Most notably, the words "Camden, NJ" are no longer in the print.
Label 01H1 -- Hollywood. The Blackwell-Presley credit still has not been corrected to include Elvis.
-----------------------------
Label #63 (1963) -- The word MONO appears in large letters at the bottom of the label.
Label 01H1 -- Hollywood.
-----------------------------
Label #64 (1964-1968) -- The word MONAURAL appears at the bottom of the label. The words "RCA Victor" at the top are in white on the backdrop instead of in silver.
Label 01I1 -- Indianapolis. Indianapolis labels have the author credit for “Paralyzed” as “(Otis Blackwell-Elvis Presley).”
Label 01H1 -- Hollywood. These have a "(Blackwell-Presley)" credit for “Paralyzed" -- no first names.
================

Content:
Copies of the album with -15S, -17S, or -19S at the end of the matrix number of side 2 feature an alternate take of “Old Shep.” These copies seem to have appeared between 1960 and 1962.

SO, IF YOU WANTED ALL MONO COPIES OF THE LP from the first day of issue until the day they stopped allowing the mono option in 1968, you'd need to get 22 different labels and 16 covers.

Frank

Ernie11Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 - 03:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Perhaps "amusement" isn't the right word - "amazement" is closer - wow! So many varieties, wonder why RCA did all that.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 - 03:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nice stuff, namralos. I've got one old copy of this lp. I need to dig it out now and see exactly which one it is.

Thanks for posting!

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2012 - 09:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I was hoping to visit the RCA Archive this summer, but I need to find the right person who can grant permission.
What I suspect is that the company that printed labels for the Rockaway plant typeset their labels with every request. So...if they were ordered to print 10,000 labels, they typeset the label and print them. Later, another 10,000? Typeset the label again and print. When a record sells the way Elvis' records sold, that leads to many label variations.

It appears that Sun Records also operated that way. Every Elvis Sun single exists in several 45 and several 78 label variations. Good luck spending the cash to get all of those.

Jump to: