The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
peelinhidesOffline
Post subject: A Little Help From My Friends  PostPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 11:27 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I recently got a copy of Sgt. Pepper's with the "A Little Help From My Friends" misprint on the sleeve and label. I haven't been able to find too much out about it. Just wondering how rare it really is and how much it's worth. Thanks

IMG_0277.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.76 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

IMG_0277.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2012 - 09:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Copies of the album with the rainbow label are MUCH MORE COMMON with the error "A Little Help from my Friends" than with the corrected title of "With a Little Help from my Friends." Capitol had ordered hundreds of thousands of labels, and they simply used them all up before replacing them later in 1967. By that time, the album was not selling as well, so there are fewer copies with the corrected title. In particular, mono copies with the corrected title AND the corrected cover publishing credits are tough to locate.

The cover lyrics were not corrected.

peelinhidesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2012 - 03:58 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting. Never would have guessed that from what I found elsewhere. I don't even think its listed on discogs. Thanks for the information.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2012 - 05:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Most people simply don't notice label variations or don't care. As far as they are concerned, if it's a rainbow label, it's an original. The variant is in the Beatles Price Guide and on my page devoted to the Capitol albums, where I also picture an inset of each label. It's also in Bruce Spizer's book on the Capitol albums, also. Quoting from my web page...

"First issues of the LP itself have labels that show the second song on side one as "A Little Help From My Friends." This was not the correct title, so on July 14, 1967, a change was received by the companies printing the labels. All later labels read correctly, "With a Little Help From My Friends." Since so many labels had been printed in advance, and since the album sold so well, most copies of the original album have the incorrect title."

Uncorrected and corrected labels exist from all three factories. As I said, corrected labels in mono are the hardest to find.

http://heroinc.hostingsiteforfree.com/btls/caplps.pdf

Jump to: