The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bucktrailOffline
Post subject: Sam Cooke Promo Identical on both sides A Change is gonna co  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 12:09 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Very Happy Hi. I just found an RCA VICTOR Not for Sale 1965 Sam Cooke 7" vinyl. It says A CHANGE IS GONNA COME on both sides. What's up with that? I need some help please. It's in NM condition and I need some money to pay for my daugther's college. Thank you!

sam cooke change 45.jpg
 Description:
Not sure if this is side A or side B. Identical on each side.
 Filesize:  19.42 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)

sam cooke change 45.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

It's a promo,so sometimes they come with the same song on both sides. This one isn't worth more than a few bucks.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 12:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

In the $20-$40 range in mint condition.

Heidler
Post subject: Sam Cooke Promo Identical on both sides...  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 01:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Good answer SID...

Have plenty of those white-label RCA Victor " Not For Sale " items, and if that's what they're worth, I'd better re-sleeve thm! ( other artists too )

In Sam's case, the trick is to find his ' Promo ' stuff on the KEEN label, either the red and white labels, or the ones with the sticker(s) affixed, sent out to radio stations with " Thanks " ( sometimes with " Bumps " Blackwell's name on the ' address-type ' labels )

These are always wanted by collectors out here...

Off to San Diego on Monday, so long boyz...

Thanks again for posting.

16,000+ posts! SID!

Oh my Dermashaftstanginornstin!

H

SID
Post subject: Re: Sam Cooke Promo Identical on both sides...  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 02:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Heidler wrote:
Good answer SID...

Have plenty of those white-label RCA Victor " Not For Sale " items, and if that's what they're worth, I'd better re-sleeve thm! ( other artists too )

In Sam's case, the trick is to find his ' Promo ' stuff on the KEEN label, either the red and white labels, or the ones with the sticker(s) affixed, sent out to radio stations with " Thanks " ( sometimes with " Bumps " Blackwell's name on the ' address-type ' labels )

These are always wanted by collectors out here...

Off to San Diego on Monday, so long boyz...

Thanks again for posting.

16,000+ posts! SID!

Oh my Dermashaftstanginornstin!

H

Thanks H ! No doubt the Keen promos are more valuable and harder to find. Might have only ever seen a few in my life so far.

Have fun in San Diego !

rooster
Post subject: RE: Re: Sam Cooke Promo Identical on both sides...  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 03:20 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:
It says A CHANGE IS GONNA COME on both sides. What's up with that?

radio station promos were made this way for various reasons, but the two most common being, that sometimes one side was in Stereo and one side was Mono and with the same song on both sides of the record the disc jockey couldn't possibly play the wrong (ie: non hit) side.

rooster

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Sam Cooke Promo Identical on both sides A Change is gonn  PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 11:56 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

bucktrail wrote:
... RCA VICTOR Not for Sale 1965 Sam Cooke 7" vinyl. It says A CHANGE IS GONNA COME on both sides. What's up with that?
Note the record no. SP-45-173 — this is a promotional-only issue (not issued to retail). 'Regular' retail issue was numbered 47-8486, "Shake" b/w "A Change Is Gonna Come". According to Billboard, "A Change Is Gonna Come", originally the B-side, began getting significant airplay around late January '65. At a guess, RCA Victor issued this special promo to stations to emphasize that this side should be played, rather than "Shake".

Heidler
Post subject: Sam Cooke Promo Identical on both sides...  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2012 - 04:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

After Cooke's death ( 10th of December-1964 ) may radio programmers ( especially in the Southern states ) ' flipped the record " Shake " over.

The key promotional people at RCA Victor, jumped on the band-wagon and issued this " Promo " single to radio stations in early 1965.

At the RCA Headquarters in Hollywood, the track became known as the " sympathy side " but did not sell as well as RCA Victor had hoped*

(* Information from Grelun Landon*, then-West Coast Promotional Director (aka " Publicity " ) at RCA " Recording Center Of The World " 6363 Sunset Blvd in 1968 )
** It was Mr. Landon who let me troll through the files for photos of RCA Victor artists, and I came out of there with some not often seen shots of Sam Cooke .

" Shake " continued to get strong airplay and sales ( number 7 ) where " Change " peaked at number 31.

All packed and Ready-Teddy!....

H

infiniteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 12:55 PM
Level 2
Level 2

It was not uncommon for 45 promos to have the same song on both sides. When the radio stations cued the 45's up they had to move the record back and forth with the need to set it up for playing. That way when they hit the switch on the turntable the knew when the music would begin. Over plays the 45's would develop noise from the cueing. you would then use the reverse side. When they started to do stereo 45's the labels began putting mono versions on one side and stereo on the other. That lasted about 2 years.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2014 - 06:53 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

infinite wrote:
... When they started to do stereo 45's the labels began putting mono versions on one side and stereo on the other. That lasted about 2 years.
The mono side was intended for AM radio stations, while the stereo side was intended for (stereo) FM stations. It was more economical to send copies of the same record to both AM and FM stations, than to send separate mono and stereo copies.

Jump to: