The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gbfrank
Post subject: Poor DSR Because I Didn't Pay Half the Buyer's VAT!!!  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2012 - 07:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

What are my chances that eBay will

actually behave logically?

The story:

I sold a record at a winning bid of $44 to a buyer in the UK. There was a problem
with Paypal (tech prob, NOT buyers fault). We exchanged three or four emails about
his payment and I told him I wasn't worried about it. Everything worked our fine with
Paypal. His payment was credited on Sept 11, I mailed the record on Sept 11. According
to the buyer he received the record on 27 Sept.

He then sent this message.

" Hi Frank, I received the single today and I am happy with the condition. The reason I am contacting you is that the single was checked by customs as you declared the value as over 15 they have asked me to pay the V.A.T. Tax on the package plus an 8 charge which came to a total of 11.09 before they would deliver the single to me. As you can imagine I am quite unhappy about this. I would welcome your thoughts on this. Perhaps we could split the financial pain on this?? "

I replied, "I'm sorry to hear that customs has charged you so much. I wrote the value at $20 lower than your winning bid to help keep any VAT charge very low. Can you approach the customs people and appeal that extra charge? I wish you good luck. "

I returend home today to find this:
"Hi Frank, thank you for getting back to me. I would appreciate a heads up on the African singles but I am mainly interested in Fela Kuti or Koola Lobitos so if you have anything by them please let me know. I assume you are not willing to share the financial pain re. the 11.09 I was charged to receive my single?? The 8 is a standard charge that is applied when VAT is an issue. I have checked and I am getting nowhere with getting the money back from the customs. Look forward to hearing from you."

I just checked my feedback and the jerk left gave me a positive "Record received" but gave me low numbers on three of the four the DSR entries, Item as Described, Communication, and believe it or not, Shipping Time (same day shipping is slow!!!).

Tells me he was happy with condition, I mailed the record the day he paid me, and I corresponded with him several times BEFORE he got the record. BUT, I didn't share his financial pain by coughing up half his VAT charge. I wonder how many other sellers he's done this to?

So, any bets as to how eBay will treat my complaint? I think I'll get the usual run-around.

Frank

Reply with quote Back to top
gbfrank
Post subject: RE: Poor DSR Because I Didn  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2012 - 07:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And, before someone asks, this guy has been buying AND selling records via eBay for quite some time. He knows all about VAT
fees. This cannot be a first for him.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2012 - 07:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't think you'll get anywhere with Ebay; they're not likely to even understand what the issue is. They don't understand very much as it is already, and they'll probably wonder why you're concerned about a positive rating (as for the DSRs, they're likely to say something like "Oh, but your DSR average is very high").

I'm confused about the VAT thing. Did the buyer ask you to indicate a specific amount, or did you just wing it? Obviously, if he didn't specify, he can't complain to you about the Customs charges. There is clearly no logic, in any case, for a seller to split VAT charges that a buyer might incur, no matter what happens (I mean, unless the seller marked the VAT higher than the actual value).

The Customs situation is crazy anyway. I had a buyer from Germany write me recently to request that I mark his package at $24.00. He insisted that was the magic number, that anything lower will induce a demand from the Bundespost for a copy of his PayPal transaction proving that amount. Having lived in Germany for a while, I know that the officials are...officious, but that's just crazy.

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2012 - 09:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Noper, Jerry, he did not ask me to lower the value. I've learned that the word VALUE means different things to different people. A sale price of $44.72 does not have to mean that the VALUE of the item is $44.72. In this case, I valued the 45 at $24.72, thereby descreasing the VAT fee on that 45. I just can't believe that this jerk is getting away with this kind of behavior. Frustration doesn't come close to explaining my feelings with this situation.

Time to go pound my head into that nail in the wall I keep handy just for these times. sigh...

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 08:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

eBay has made it pretty clear that VAT and customs issues are the responsibility of the buyer and if a buyer gives you negative feedback because of it, you have grounds to get it removed: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

DSR may be a different story though, I don't know. I trust all those messages were through eBay's mail, right?

Good luck.

zb420Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 11:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

How can you tell what how many stars an individual buyer left you on an item?

Never mind, I found it.

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 12:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

j_loop, I always use the eBay message system. It provides an exact record of all
in-eBay communications.

j_loop wrote:
eBay has made it pretty clear that VAT and customs issues are the responsibility of the buyer and if a buyer gives you negative feedback because of it, you have grounds to get it removed: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

DSR may be a different story though, I don't know. I trust all those messages were through eBay's mail, right?

Good luck.

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 12:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Anybody? I am not receiving the automatic notices from RCG when there has been a reply to this thread. Still getting notices for other
threads I watch.

TimJOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 12:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There's no accounting for some mother's kids and their moral filters. This person obviously mixed his anger with having to pay the VAT with the transaction you provided. The way I read it, you couldn't have done anything better, so good luck with Ebay. I'd be very interested in their response.

Since my profession is B2B application software support, I feel your pain. We get a good number of customers who state on surveys our response time was poor or the analyst wasn't knowledgeable because they didn't get the answer they wanted. One has nothing to do with the other, but when they're pissed off, apparently "No" is easiest box to check and they'll check it off on all of the questions on the survey. Pissed off about one aspect of the transaction equates to No, No, No, No, Poor, Poor, Poor. on the survey regardless of the questions. And, yes, we've thought about changing all the questions so "No" and "Poor" mean they're happy. Wink

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 12:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Good idea, TimJ Smile

Jump to: