The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zb420Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 12:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

One sold a pair of Dish Net converter boxs to a guy in Canada.
Turned out the duty charges were as much as what he paid for the item.

He just sent it back, refused to pay the duty and I never heard from him again.

He never even asked for his money back.

Reply with quote Back to top
gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 - 01:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm getting the Topic notices now.

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2012 - 01:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

@gbfrank-

Ebay has a policy about removing feedback when it applies to customs fees, but as far as I know the policy does not apply to DSRs. Even for FB to be removed, the buyer has to explicitly state that VATs are the real reason for the low marks (either in the FB itself or in an ebay message). As you said, this buyer is also a seller, so he probably knows the rules and knew how to ding you surreptitiously.

You could report him, but it probably won't go too far. Show them the messages, how everything else was fine, but you'll probably have to explain how you can prove it was he who left the low DSRs (they like to pretend DSRs are anonymous). His first email blames you for claiming the value too high to avoid VAT, which to Ebay is considered 'encouraging illegal activity' by falsifying customs forms. You kind of incriminate yourself in your response, but the buyer is definitely not allow to ask or expect you to alter VATs. Use this argument with caution.

You can leave a follow-up message to the feedback (yours &/or his) if you'd like to warn future sellers http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/respond.html He can do the same, though, so there's a potential for further maliciousness.

I would go after this from a different angle, for a different policy violation:
I have received, on rare occasion, a message from ebay saying that they have removed a low mark to protect my ratings, because it either wasn't consistent with my historical performance or violated policy. Low DSRs with a Positive Feedback is an explicit policy violation on its own, and reportable as its own offense http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-manipulation.html (entry #3 under 'Not Allowed') - this would be my primary argument to get the DSRs removed. You will probably still have to prove it was he who left the marks, but it's a more clear-cut argument, and leaves your customs de-valuation out of it.

----
On the DL, can you post a link to something that might allow the rest of us to add him on our Best Buddy List?

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2012 - 07:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mr. Gasoline,

I contacted eBay the day after I posted the problem here. I waited a week and then contacted an eBay Seller Advocate who told me it may take up to
14 days to get a reply. I actually have little hope of this being settled in my favor.

A year or so back, I had a similar situation. A buyer bought a funk 45, which I had listed with audio clip, and after he received the record
decided it sounded, "too white." He left me positive feedback but gave all 1's for the DSRs. He then complained to a feedback chat board that I had
sent a "harassing" message about the DRS scores. Unfortunately for him, a third party contacted me and I posted the entire exchange, his messages
and mine, in the forum. About 98% couldn't understand how the buyer could rationalize the low scores based on his personal feeling that
the music was "too white". Oddly enough, there was one person who took side with the Buyer. eBay refused to do anything for me.

sigh...

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2012 - 11:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've read a couple reports on the Ebay forums of sellers going through this sort of thing, and diligence seems to be the only course. Call them everyday, explain your entire case to anyone who'll listen. Call at 9am PST on a weekday for your best chance at a stateside CS rep.

Low DSRs with a Pos FB is explicitly against policy - keep calling until someone sees that point. I really think this will be your only argument out of this. But don't wait for them to make some automated decision, keep calling. They can and have removed DSRs, they just don't like to.

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 - 11:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Great zot! eBay decided TODAY that I am justified in my complaint. The offending DSR scores AND the positive feedback are past history.

Fireflite
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 - 02:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Way to go Frank, one for the good guys.

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 - 11:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hell yeah

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 - 11:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hmmm, my happiness is just a bit less now than a while back. I just discovered that the buyer got to keep the positive feedback I gave him
when he paid me. sigh...

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 - 11:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

gbfrank wrote:
Hmmm, my happiness is just a bit less now than a while back. I just discovered that the buyer got to keep the positive feedback I gave him
when he paid me. sigh...

I think you might be able to add another comment:
Quote:
You can also:
Share your side of the story by replying to the Feedback.
Change positive Feedback you left for someone by leaving a follow-up comment to your original Feedback. However, the positive rating can't be changed.

"Leaving a follow-up" comment is highlighted when I search the topic "changing feedback" through customer service, and when clicked it brings me to all the feedback I've left recently. If it felt good, you could add a "Buyer sews socks in hell" comment, or something like that.
By the way, congrats on seeking and getting justice, Frank!

Jump to: