The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nada1977Offline
Post subject: Being outbid  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 - 07:41 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Hello there.

Today I decided to bid on ebay for the first time. As soon as I placed my bid, I got a notification that I was outbid (by 50 cents). I tried to bid again but I got the same message. I made 4 bids in a row and there was always someone bidding just after me. I looked at the bidders' names and I realised that I'd been outbid by the same person. This led me to realise that the seller is using some kind of software to increase the bid automatically. Is that the case?

Reply with quote Back to top
alfeizarOffline
Post subject: RE: Being outbid  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 - 08:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi nada1977, Ebay has a bidding system that work different. Its a bit difficult for me to explain it in english but I also had the same dubts when I started using ebay and a few documents like these helped me out http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html

throbbingpuppyOffline
Post subject: RE: Being outbid  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 - 08:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It just means that they had a higher bid than the current price. (i.e. item is currently $32.00, but the highest bid is $60.00) Each time you make a bid under the highest bidders amount, it slowly goes up to 50 cents more than your highest bid.

aravelOffline
Post subject: RE: Being outbid  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 - 08:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::. In the first year or two that I started buying on eBay, It was real fun.

I remember beating the higgher bidder in great condition records that I really wanted!

Now I see there's "Buy It Now" listings everywhere with ridiculous and expensive prices for some of those records I got for a fair amount given by genunine interest created by bidders. But believe me, nothing is compared to steal the auction in the last seconds from the higher bidders' hands. Cool

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Nada1977Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 - 10:40 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks guys, that's been really helpful; now I'm gradually starting to get the whole ebay thing. Great advice, thanks again.

KaiwazaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 - 01:22 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Over the years, I had PLENTY of great experiences on ebay. Nearly from the start, though, I always just enter whatever my highest bid is going to be and walk away. It doesn't mean you will actually PAY your highest bid, if you win, as bids just go up in .50 increments. You might get it for the lowest amount. If someone else bids, they still won't get it if their bid isn't as high as your highest bid.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2012 - 10:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

You might try a different strategy; if you have the time and patience, wait until placing bids until the last few seconds of the auction. Decide what amount you want to pay for the item and then bid that number. You see, if you bid several days before the auction ends, someone just like you will come along and start that creep-up the ladder method of bidding, and that will push your final payout amount up up and away. I hate that when it happens and I can assure you that it will nearly every time.

Or you can just put a smaller opening bid on the item 3 days early or whenever just so that you've at least gotten a bid placed on it and then you can watch it until the end. A few seconds before the auction ends, you can raise your final bid amount or bid higher than what someone else has come along and bid over your first bid.

Here's why: if the starting bid is $9.99 and you've researched the item and discovered that it regularly sells for around $40, you can start early and put a top bid of $9.99 or 11.99 on it and then the seller will see that there's bidder interest in the item and will be less inclined to end the auction early and delist the item 'cause he's worried that he's not gonna get a decent final sale price on it. Then you watch it until just a few seconds before the auction ends. You're waiting with a bid already typed into the system of $37.79 or $41.82 or something like that. Five seconds or so before the auction ends you hit ENTER (and make sure that you are actually logged into ebay system, because I've made the mistake of thinking I was logged in since the system will keep you logged in for 24 hours or something like that, and I've not been logged in and hit ENTER to bid and the system redirected me to Log In and I missed getting the final bid on the item, which caused me to lose the auction!). PRESTO! Your bid goes in along with one or two others who are watching it (or the other bid that comes in via the software you mentioned upthread) and you stand a greater chance of winning it for less, or not losing it because someone does that up up and away bidding like you recently did.

If you had put your top bid of $37.79 in the system three days before the auction ends, someone would come along and start that up up and away bidding stuff and you would watch it go, $12.00.....$15.00.....$18.00.......$19.00.....$21.00....they are looking for your top end doing that creep up up and away method. So now you're certainly paying more money for it, even though you decided already that you can live with paying $37.79. If you wait until the end, that creep up person comes along and sees that there's an opening bid, and then they bid $12.99 and thus the price stops there and they are the high bidder now. You wait until just before the auction ends to put out the $37.79 bid, and when you hit the button, it could just go up a dollar and you could win the auction for $13.99, or another person might be bidding this way as well, so you'll either win it for more, or lose it at $37.79 because another bidder wants to pay more for it than you. But you've at least ditched that creep up up and away bidder who gets disgusted every time he hits ENTER and sees that his bid has been out bid, by not giving him a chance to have time to do the creep up up and away bidding.

YOu get the idea?

Fireflite
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2012 - 11:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
You might try a different strategy; etc.

Doesn't seem to happen as much recently it seems , what with snipe progs and the like.
But it does happen occasionally. It happened with Ron's contest lot.
If there hadn't been those 2 guys banging away it would have gone for way less.
( Not to detract from Ron's success. Congrats by the way, ya done good)

T

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2012 - 07:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Barrie's method may work with 'under the radar' records of moderate value, where many of the bidders are beginners or seldom bid.

However, a highly collectible record will often produce different results. If you put up a record that usually goes for several thousand, it might reach a very high price the first day and receive no further bids. If it's at $3,270 after one day, anyone who comes along willing to pay higher than that is going to be a very serious bidder indeed, and there just aren't very many of them. It may very well close at that price with no sniping.

maslikoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Being outbid  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2012 - 03:15 AM
Level 3
Level 3

throbbingpuppy wrote:
It just means that they had a higher bid than the current price. (i.e. item is currently $32.00, but the highest bid is $60.00) Each time you make a bid under the highest bidders amount, it slowly goes up to 50 cents more than your highest bid.

This is correct.....and as far as i'm aware the higher the price the bigger the increments.When a person has done this , just put on the top dollar you can afford and wait!Vinyl collectors are very savvy at bidding on eBay...expect to lose alot....most serious collectors of anything are.Sometimes you win,sometimes you lose(unless your rich)it has happened to us all at one time or another.But the post above is absolutely correct.

Jump to: