The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nevrstpOffline
Post subject: 1960's Card Stock  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 - 10:25 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Neal,
Most times I obviously use label varients to determine pressing dates of lp's if variations were present through time. Due to the wave of reissue reproductions of 60's lp's in the last decade or so I've quickly used a quick check of the jacket to see if the interior was that grey or brown color typical of cardboard of the time of the 60's or the white thin modern stuff. But I was fooled recently and discovered that late sixties Elektra stock seemed to have a thinner white modern stock. I think I know this because on more than one occasion have found gold label originals in jackets of this material.. Just thought that was interesting as I almost passed on a near mint elektra gold for a good price that I thought was a later pressing.

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: 1960  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 - 11:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's been a mindbender for me as of late. In a lot of cases,unless you have a really well trained eye, it's almost impossible to notice the difference.

Yesterday I saw a Blue Things lp on RCA. The cover felt kinda modern, and while the label had the old style RCA look, it wasn't quite the same as a real vintage pressing.

Aside from that, I could not find a single thing on the cover or label to distinguish that it was a reissue. I like that they are making reissues to look like the real deal, but it seems like somebody could get taken for a ride if they aren't careful.

nevrstpOffline
Post subject: RE: 1960  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 02:02 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Yep, got burned on Ebay but got refunded when told guy his original was not so. In person now I can quickly tell at this point. The reissues if sealed are all sealed in the center of the cover not at the ends as most 60's to 70's pressings were. I say most as some old lp's were sealed in the center but the seal usually had a ZZZZZZZZZZZZ stitch pattern in the plastic so as it could be unsealed that new shrink does not have. If the lp is not sealed then in all cases the cardstock is the modern, white on the inside, thin stuff. All reissues come with the white, never custom, inner sleeves that are rounded at the corners and not squared off. These first became available in the early 80's but if someone can date this more accurately I'd be grateful. The labels all seem to have a certain strange texture like concentric circular rings is how i'd describe them. I have never seen a reissue that has had any machine stamping whatsoever in the trail off section - hope this helps.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2012 - 02:31 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

NEVRSTP

Good questions. Good observations. When I read your first post a minute ago I immediately wondered about the data in the trail-off vinyl. You seem to have answered that, if only tentatively. I would think that a lot more research is called for here.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

NEAL

Jump to: