The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sebfactOffline
Post subject: Info requested about Pye's pressing plant in Mitcham  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 - 05:26 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I wonder if someone has information about the Pye Records vinyl pressing plant in Mitcham, Surrey.
Tranco or Pye pressings (pre 1980) can be identified by certain symbols in the matrix etchings, such as a diamond, a triangle, a heart, a star, or a Pi symbol.

There is some confusion about the name of the plant though. At some point it seems to have been called Tranco or Tranco Ltd., as found on some records. Then again you can find "Tranco, the manufacturing division of Pye Records (Sales) Ltd." or simply the "Tranco factory" or even the "Mitcham Factory" only. And, adding to the confusion, some Pye records show "Manufactured by Pye Records (Sales) Ltd."
My questions:
Was Tranco the official name of the pressing plant in Mitcham?
If yes, from when and until when?
If not, what was the official name then?
Was it indeed a Limited company or rather a division of Pye Records (Sales) Ltd.?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Best, Seb

Reply with quote Back to top
jimbooOffline
Post subject: RE: Info requested about Pye  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Might get some info on an Elton John sight, Tranco pressed the economy Avenue label, Elton did session work for them.
another link Tranco until 1980
http://www.discogs.com/label/Tranco+Limited

sebfactOffline
Post subject: RE: Info requested about Pye  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 - 02:13 PM
Level 2
Level 2

That Discogs profile was actually written by me Smile
But after diving deeper into the matter, I discovered that it isn't all that smile and sunshine with Pye and Tranco.
While I feel that Tranco was the name used for the plant, it isn't always credited (as said, often you'll find "Pressed by Pye Records (Sales) Ltd.").
Knowing the exact role of Tranco in that company conundrum would be very helpful...
Unfortunately, eye witnesses are rarely found anymore, at least on the 'Net.

jimbooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 - 02:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yep, seems to be some joint venture with Damont, Dave Miller, the guy who gave us Funky Junction (Phil Lynott doing session work).
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=REUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=tranco+record+pressing+company+%22mitcham%22&source=bl&ots=619gLBus9A&sig=WqrA6aIyQJjV-nerefgChDMEBSo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yn6RULSEGabO0QXX2YG4Aw&ved=0CF4Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=tranco%20record%20pressing%20company%20%22mitcham%22&f=false

Jump to: